Things you recently bought or got

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mashers, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Hadn't noticed. That makes reviews even less useful, especially not allowing replies from the seller. One of the things I've always looked for when checking out books on Amazon are replies to reviews from the author explaining something or thanking the buyer for a nice review.

ETA: And why am I all of a sudden seeing a lot of 'See price in cart' nonsense on Amazon?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    Catrin Lewis and Xoic like this.
  2. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

This really frosts my apricots, too. I don't want to get all the way through providing credit card information before I can tell what the whole thing, including shipping, is going to be.

3. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

If it doesn't have a price, it doesn't go into the cart. There are plenty of other products that do the same thing available. I also try to see where the item was produced. If it was made in China, I figure any warranty won't be honored. I have run into that problem several times in the past.

4. Earp

A few days ago, I decided to order some business cards online. Went through all the choices, designed my card, and when I got to the Payment stage of checkout, was informed they don't accept Discover cards. No business cards for Earp. Sometimes it seems like companies are trying to drive away customers.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  5. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

I took it back yesterday. Turns out it's 3/4" wider than advertised. It won't fit on my printer stand, and if it doesn't go there, it goes nowhere.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  6. Earp

A couple of bookcases from Walmart. They're not Sauder, but they're not eighty bucks, either.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  7. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

Bought a new laptop computer. My first new computer since my PC Jr. in 1987. The PC I have now I built from an electronic salvage yard just a few miles from me.

8. Catrin Lewis

Staples prints business cards. But you might have to redo your design from scratch.

9. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Just bought a new mattress.

Over the internet.

I'm cautiously optimistic, been sleeping on the tatami floor for the last week because the old mattress is shot and killing my back. New one arrives Friday, we shall see.

10. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

2023 Mazda CX-5!

I drove the same car for 16 years and am completely overwhelmed by all the features cars have now haha

11. ridgerunner

ridgerunner Active Member

$436.17 worth of lawn mower parts and it still won't run right.
    I see a new z-turn looming on the horizon.

12. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    I'm still with my 2003 Mazda Protege, which I had fixed up just as COVID hit and the prices of new cars skyrocketed. Only 98k, but quite a bit of (non-structural) rust, though no bells or whistles. I'm going on my "Last Hurrah" across and around western Nebraska in early June, to my birth-site, to the buttes where I hung out for a bit after college, Chimney Rock and Scotts Bluff, to Mari Sandoz's grave, a tour of the sandhills, and more!! Funny, I looked at my local branch library for tour guides, and found nothing for Nebraska. Iowa, yes. Missouri, yes. Kansas, yes again. And of course Colorado and South Dakota and Wyoming. All the surrounding states.

I was dumbfounded. Not really. One thing I have realized about Nebraskans -- we always end up saying, well, there's nothing spectacular, but a lot of subtle beauty and wonder that you have to seek out. Even the state tourism motto, "honestly, it's not for everybody." Other people apparently agree.

The place makes me happy, anyway.

Then, assuming the car and I both survive it, I'll put in an order for a new car of some sort, probably a Subaru, but maybe a CX-5 (they look nice) -- my mother left me enough money that I can afford it. But for now, I'm enjoying the idea of making due with the contrarian joy of owning a beater, no worries about fresh dings (or payments or high insurance), and I'm going to indulge on lodging and meals during my trip. I just need to find a bumper sticker that says, "Don't laugh, it's paid for."

13. Catriona Grace

Wish Wyoming could convince more people to skip our state in favor of visiting Nebraska. That being said, if you make it as far as central Wyoming, give me a holler and I'll buy you lunch.

Soldier Creek Wilderness in the Nebraska panhandle is a nice place to hike. It is near Ft. Robinson State Park and the town of Crawford. We camped when in the area, but there is a nice lodge at Ft. Robinson that has very good reviews. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g45508-d114700-Reviews-Fort_Robinson_State_Park_Lodge-Crawford_Nebraska.html

We also enjoyed eating at the Frontier Restaurant in Crawford. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g45508-d21410792-Reviews-Frontier-Crawford_Nebraska.html Last time we ate there, a 50th high school reunion was just breaking up. We ran into two different friends in the restaurant, including one who lived a couple of miles from us in Wyoming and one who we'd been told had died. It was a great experience.

14. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I have just bought one of those in January to replace my old VW that was shunted off the road by a truck... (I wanted something that felt bigger and safer although the golf did perform very well!) eleven years old, but drives like new. I have friends staying who drive a brand new one, we were comparing notes and the "features" of the new one sound terrifying to an old-school driver like me... I like to be in control of the vehicle, not the vehicle in control of me!

15. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    I was born in Crawford -- did you see my statute on the main road?

16. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    How long a drive are you from Crawford?

17. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

40 bags of black bark mulch. The good shit, apparently, according to my wife.

18. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Be sure to feather it when you spread it.

19. Homer Potvin

Will do!

(What's feather mean?)

20. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    I dunno, but I've heard people say to do it. I think it means to spread it carefully and evenly rather than piling it in heaps,

Homer Potvin likes this.
  21. Homer Potvin

Yep, yep. I always do that, though I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to anything gardening or landscaping. Wife says dig the hole, put in the plant, fill with water, add the good soil. So I just do that!

22. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

Drove from Rawlins to York yesterday. Only 656k on the truck.:supercool:
    Wyoming and Nebraska have some beautiful country, I just wish they would turn the wind off!

23. Catrin Lewis

I lived (and attempted to pastor a church) for a couple of years in eastern Nebraska, in a little blip on the map near Fremont. Nothing exciting there, barring the Platte River ("One mile wide and one inch deep"). But at least there were hills. Sort of.

24. Catriona Grace

No! Crawford? Really? How long did you live there? Did you know the Thorntons or the Leelings?

I am less than 2.5 hours due west of Crawford. If that's too far a round trip, I could maybe meet you in Douglas. I'd suggest Orin, but there's nothing there.

Last edited: May 7, 2023
    Catrin Lewis likes this.
  25. Catriona Grace

Never! The wind keeps the chaff blown out of the country. Did anyone tell you why there is so much wind here? (Because Utah blows and Negraska sucks.)

Homer Potvin and w. bogart like this.