Things you recently bought or got

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mashers, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Xander17

Xander17 Hermit Archetype Supporter Contributor

Haha, excellent. What would've been a hoot was to ask him as you were leaving, if he knows what a self fulfilling prophesy is.

I have noticed a rise in salesrep irrationality in proportion to drop in product quality.

Salesreps in tassie, compared to the mainland is quite exceptional (apart from the odd oddball). The perception among businesses here is like the old days, genuine customer care, before and after ales service. They're not money orientated, treating customers like walking currency.

They know that if they treat the customer right, they will get a sale, and repeat sales and good word of mouth sales. You can even haggle with any business here, unlike the mainland you're judged as trash if you do.

But alas, as an old bloke I have noticed the steady decline of quality, regardless of brand, but not all products mind you. My lcd puta monitor is still firing on all cylinders after a decade, but my "entry Level" Norco HT is just crap in so many areas and started playing up within 500Ks.

RE: salesreps.

In the village is a tyre shop, I went to see what kind of high performance wet weather grippy tyres they have, I mentioned I don't want the grippiest, I want a balance between grip and long wear, and mentioned tyre compounds. He tried to tell me grip level has nothing to do with tyre compound as there's no such thing as different rubber compounds.

Sad thing is he actually believed this, thus I ended the convo in a quick but respectful manner.

2. Xander17

More home-made hybrid fun.

Just finished chatting with Shimano, Oz.

Yes the GS rear der will handle a 42T cassette and has nothing to do with cage length. Cassette handling has to do with the design of the rest of the der, angles and how it's frame position.

Cage length has to do with cog sizes of the crank set, thus he's saying I can run 42T cassette but most likely not a 48T front, as this might make the chain's tension too strong thus greatly affect the whole drive system and affect changing, and prematurely wear shit out or break something, even though you don't select the 48 and the 42 at the same time, but being inside tolerances is the issue.

Still wanna have 42T rear and 48T front, so the last thing to check out is if I can put a long cage on the GS that runs a medium one. And I already have a no name brand 42T cassette and 26-36-48 crankset, and my rapid rise shimano 9 speed der and a 2nd hand deore front der from last century.

So I can install all these to do some testing, before committing to $500+ Deore upgrades. FFS, I spent less time committing to marrying my ex than upgrading my treadlie.

I had a chrome Moosegoose in my 20s, with these mags...
    https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/mongoose/12800
    ...and made it into a 2 speed, cus I wasn't interested in the usual bmx tricks and I was doing a lot of long distance riding.
    I build my own 2 speed crank out of road bike parts, and ran a bmx racing rear der to take up the slack. More of a tensioner than a der, as the rear was a single cog.

3. Xander17

I have a fetish. Puta vid cards.
    I constantly scan eBay for good quality decent priced older vid cards that'll run on XP and DirectX 9 and my puta, though all new parts, is a few years old re: tech level.

I've been learning through the process and now only look for high performance cards that benchmark from at least 3000 and are the newest series that my puta can run, though I'll still fork over the cash for an old card with little power if it's in pristine condition and pushes all my visual buttons.

eBay is full of dodgy sellers, and Asia is renowned for selling fake items.
    Recently coming across a whole bunch of Asian sellers, some based in Oz, with fake vid cards. The hilarious part is in their description page they actually tell you it's fake.

EG: "Graphics chip: GeForce GTS450 display GTX780"
    This means it's being sold as a GTX 780 and will show up as a 780 in your system due to vid card bios hacking, but it only has a GTS450 chip, and only has the power of such.
    I've been sending off msgs to these sellers, no one has replied thus far.

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Sounds more like to the 'idol' side of fetishes, rather than
    the more modern interpretation of the word. :p
    So some candles, chicken bones, and some incantations
    will boost your grafics cards and appease the Ancient Gods
    of PC, IBM, and Macintosh. :D

Some Guy and flawed personality like this.
  5. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I wouldn't be so sure about that.
    [​IMG]

6. Xander17

I checked with my loya...'fetish' is an acceptable term regarding technology products.

Finally getting some responses to my intial msg of...
    "Hilarious...you even state it's a fake GTX XXX card
    ˜slow clap˜

- "Dear customer,you can search the item you want in my shop, if you find it, you can place an order, many thanks."
    ...and responding with...
    ME: Intrigued...please explain why you think I would buy a fake card?

- "Hello, dear friend,Thank you for your contact with interest in our store and items.the item and its details just as the auction page stated.Please check it by yourself.If you are interested in our items,you could place an order and we will issue it. We hope you enjoy your shopping."
    ME: Yes I saw the details page, that's where I saw you state it's a fake card, and I'm intrigued now, please explain how you think I'd be interested in buying a fake card.

- "Hello, may I ask if you have paid for the order?"
    This one's my fav...
    ME: Yes you may ask.

A while back I had a rather long convo with an Oz seller with my 2nd msg of "Yes you may ask". He never understood the concept and his anger increased with each msg as he went down his own rabbit hole he was totally unaware of.

Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  7. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

Bed socks and some cute little bear slippers. :)

BearSlippers.jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Xander17, Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  8. Xander17

Got me some pineapples when on special. Bought a bunch each time I went to the village last week as these aren't regularly discounted.
    [​IMG]

Also buying this today, as the the Kambrook sounds like it's about to die.

[​IMG]

Mid year sale, normally $200, but now $200 with extra 2yr warranty, as small cheap kitchen appliances don't last that long.

They have a $100 set, less powerful motor but still better than current blender, with accessories exactly like my current one, but you can't get extended warranty on it, so upgrading.

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. Xander17

Over the last several weeks...

- Scandisk 128G stick
    - IR thermometer for me ute. (specifically to test hi-flow cat converter)
    - Good quality small tripod for me fone, old one was crap and had been glued up for many moons, eventually karked it the other day.
    - Two sets of different sized hand held wire brushes, and a set for me drill for work on me spare brake calipers that I'll paint and install with me DBA performance rotors one day.
    - Digital food thermometer for me chain waxing adventures.
    - Outside thermometer to sit in bike shed to see how cold it is before a ride. House pipes were frozen till noon the other day.
    - Marine grease, bottom bracket tools and chain links for MTB mods to be done soon.
    - A good quality chain stretch measuring tool, chain cleaning brushes, and the third chain cleaning machine from eBay as I'm yet to find a seller of this particular model that isn't scamming and will actually sent me what's pictured.
    - Soft cases for tablet and keyboard.
    - Wifi card for puta to connect to fone.
    - Three more vid cards.
    An old HIS HD 3870, just because it looks so purdy. An MSI GTX 570 in pristine condition, and yesterday an old but vgc EVGA GTX 275.

ThunderAngel and Cave Troll like this.
  10. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

Not long ago, I purchased a small Dell desktop computer from Goodwill for about $25.00; it had a dual-core processor, and 4 gigabytes memory. So, I went and purchased an SSD for it and a decent graphics unit, and then I maxed out the memory to 8 gigs. After installing a Linux operating system and testing its capabilites, I was surprised how well the dual-core processor handled my games, and was ecstatic that I built my first modest-gaming PC for less than two hundred dollars. :)

It wasn't long after that when I purchased another Goodwill desktop; a Dell XPS 420, an older gaming PC that only required a graphics upgrade.

11. Xander17

Got the Nutribullet for $25 less, Hardly Norman usually gives discount for their extended warranty.

Didn't know it was an 'oliday, lots of shops closed, no joy with bike seat spring.

Forgot to mention I bought $100 of handmade charcoal soap from
    https://www.funkysoapshop.com
    in beautiful sunny england.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Cave Troll likes this.
  12. Cave Troll

I got paid, then bought 1/2 gal of milk, pack of brats, crunchy peanut butter,
    raspberry jelly, 10 lbs potatoes, 2 packs of mushroom gravy, $40 amazon G-card,
    2 bricks of espresso, vegetable oil, chicken crackers, Q-tips, and the most important
    of all: Bacon!
    :superyesh:

13. flawed personality

Got my groceries in for the foreseeable:

Cheese, milk, butter, sausages, broccoli, hot dogs, cereal x 2, pasta sauce x 2, peanut butter, cranberry juice, pasta, eggs, honey, choc chips, ketchup, potatoes, hot choc, baked beans, peas, carrots, kidney beans, chia seeds.

14. Xander17

Nectar of the gods: Coffee, especially with cream.
    Food of the gods: Bacon...high quality medium rare steak...fresh water eel on an open fire.

I usually switch to bacon, scrambled real organic grain fed cage free eggs (local farms) and fried veges for winter breakies, but still haven't bought me new frypan so hot breakies are replaced with stews and fried fishies.

love to read and Cave Troll like this.
  15. Xander17

Bought another vid card. Sapphire HD 7850. vgc, fast and purdy.

Cave Troll likes this.
  16. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

A grill. It's got a gas side and a charcoal side and the bottom of the firebox hasn't rusted out completely.

love to read, Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  17. flawed personality

A 2.3l bottle in an attempt to drink enough every day, cos I'm not a big fan of water. :p

love to read and Cave Troll like this.
  18. flawed personality

004.JPG

Success! I managed a full bottle yesterday. :)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Xander17, love to read and Cave Troll like this.
  19. Xander17

4pm: In the village havin' a coffee after another productive appointment, knowledge gathering and purchasing day.

Post office arrivals...
    - EVGA GTX 275, way old but in excellent nick.
    ( doing exceptionally well with abstinence as I usually have around 20 cards saved that I could buy but let them go, focusing on the best of the best for purchasing, and not bothered if someone beats me on the auctioned ones)
    - 128G flash drive.
    - The 'War of the Worlds' looking fone tripod, quite heavy...nice.

In lonnie...
    - Coffee plunger, Bodum brand, half price sale compared to on and offline shops, only four left in store.
    - Small bean grinder from Hardly Normans.
    - Fav cafe for 3 x 100g of different coffee beans, one being the same flavour as the art gallery cafe in the village.
    Also got a stainless steel double sided coffee mug from him, huge discount as last gun metal grey one with slight ding at base.
    - Small jar of virgin coconut oil from big chemist chain, and a bottle of MCT oil, running C8,10 and 12. ( buying bulk coconut oil elsewhere)
    - 2 slabs of organic butter from newly found health shop.

- Checked out nut n bolt store, they have springs, and suggested a suspension place as well, which turns out to be the place I had The Contessa's rear suspension rebuilt a year or so ago.
    - Exhaust place where I got me sports system installed on newly bought ute, booked in for teusdee week for replacement of rusted out muffler. grabbing a stainless steel high-flow, only $30 dearer than regular rust prone mufflers.
    - Rcently purchased Nutribullet blender has a stainless steel double wall bottle which is perfect for blending me keto coffee, so don't hve to buy a a small hand help blender just for the coffee.

Cave Troll likes this.
  20. Xander17

YAY, though the research I did as I was never a water drinker, many are saying a specific amount isn't necessary and can be unhealthy due to over hydration, they say drink only when thirsty as the bod knows how much it requires.

From experience, I can have days of thirst all day long, other days, maybe a glass or two.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Cave Troll likes this.
  21. flawed personality

I had read that vitamin deficiency can cause a lack of thirst, and I know diabetes causes excessive thirst. I have definitely had a time where my mouth felt so dry that I bought 2 drinks. After downing 1 and 1/2, I hadn't noticed the difference! It wasn't a hot day either, and I hadn't been exercising or anything. It was very scary.

Cave Troll likes this.
  22. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Dunno about the health aspect, but I probably drink 4-6 liters a day. I've got a one liter plastic bottle that I fill and finish every lesson, so that's three liters, plus most of one before clas and most of one at lunch.

23. Cave Troll

:supergrin:
    Contessa Cara.jpg

24. flawed personality

Amazon gift card purchase, my love? :supercheeky:

Cave Troll likes this.
  25. Cave Troll

Nope.