1. Thank you all for your patience with our technical errors. We think we've fixed it, but please do report anything that's not working right, by posting on the 'minor bugs' thread in Support and Feedback, which can be found here.
    Dismiss Notice

Things you recently bought or got

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mashers, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin Funky like your grandpa's drawers.... Staff Contributor

Hell, fuck no, they don't. All those composite materials they developed after WWII? Complete garbage. My house might be "old" but the original cedar floors and trim haven't warped a micron in 90 years. And the hand laid and mortared stone foundation wouldn't crack if you hit it with an RPG. Scrape away the skimcoat and you find rocks. Giant fucking rocks. No cement. No rebar. Heavy ass rocks cut to fit within a quarter of an inch of each other. I've got floorboards that are twenty feet long and nailed down with crucifixion grade spikes. What's a cedar floor cost today? A Toyota? A BMW? The new houses they're slapping up today will be lucky to be standing in 30 years. They're building a new one on a lot across the street from me that they'll get $350K for 11 seconds after it hits the market (assuming they ask $300K for it... RI houses are going for $50K above asking, cash, sight unseen, no housing inspection). And the poor prick who buys it will have to replace half the materials inside before I find a loose nail in mine.

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor

Wow—when Homer engages in double-cursing you know shit just got real! :cool:

The way I see it, things made the longest ago will still be standing at the end, when all modern materials and constructions will be gone. They built (the important stuff) from stone, and in the case of the pyramids, they made them in the shape things collapse into anyway, and mostly solid inside, just a few narrow passages, so it can't collapse any farther. Millennia later, they still look essentially the same, just the surface a little worn down. Hell, if they didn't get stolen (by thieves or anthropologists), the mummies would still be there mostly unchanged long after everything we built in modern times is gone.

Aztec wall carvings will still stand in another few millennia, and what of these ephemeral words we share here in cyberspace? Movies and art that exist only digitally? Already I've seen sites go down or decide to make purges and in an instant thousands of hours of work and love and hope created by thousands of people are just gone.

So much of our culture exists as printed paper. Books, but also the boxes for DVDs and blu-rays etc. How long will that last if it's not in a protected environment? Once these cheap-ass buildings crumble they'll disintegrate like wet, um, paper!

Homer Potvin and B.E. Nugent like this.
  3. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber Contributor Contributor

word

Homer Potvin likes this.
  4. Homer Potvin

One of my favorites. I stole it from Darryl McDaniel (Run DMC). In Hip Hop Evolution, he's relaying the story of how Rick Rubin and Russel Simmons wanted them to do the Walk this Way thing with Aerosmith, and upon hearing the song, he got this incredulous look on his face and said something like "Oh, hell, fuck no, this is hillbilly gibberish!" He's got one of those faces that is hilarious when he gets fired up. There's another bit in the segment where he talks about kicking somebody out of his car for suggesting that Rakim was a better rapper than he was. Then he listened to a Rakim tape and said something like, "Is my career over?"

The lesson here, kids, is that if you're a musician and Rick Rubin and Russel Simmons make a creative suggestion, you miiiight want to listen to them.

Also, there is an excellent chance that Rakim is a better rapper than you are. That's kind of like saying Faulkner is better at sentence construction. Try not to let it bring you down.

Xoic likes this.
  5. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Potatoes again? Supporter Contributor

Japanese houses typically drop to zero value after thirty years. They're prefab shit never meant to last and have warranties shorter than those on a new Toyota. Land, on the other hand, holds its value so many people simply move into a hotel for a few months while their existing house is scrapped and rebuilt rather than moving to a better one (because there are no better ones, they're all garbage). My wife's family did that when she was a kid, fortunately Papa spent the money to get something decent built. Dunno if it has any resale value though as the locals view a "used house" in much the same way we'd view an ad for "used lingerie" (which, incidentally, used to be sold from vending machines here, but that's another story)

B.E. Nugent likes this.
  6. Earp

Earp Not Sorry Contributor

We need a Phrases I'm Going To Steal thread.

7. Homer Potvin

Heard about that, but what do you mean "used to?" Don't let them go soft on me... might be 20 years before I can visit Japan and I want the full experience!

8. Iain Aschendale

They passed a law. Pretty sure you can still get them in the adult video stores though.

9. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody A Certain Shade of Green Contributor

I bought a bunch of pens.

I guess this can also go in the not happy thread, because when i picked it up, the pens fell out of the Amazon Prime bag. So either it wasnt secured, or someone opened my package.... OR it was delivered to the wrong address and someone opened it and thought "who the f*** orders pens?" And tossed it on my porch

10. Homer Potvin

I don't want to purchase any. I just want to see them in their natural habitat and imagine a world where you are allowed to put anything you want in a vending machine!

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  11. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Staff Supporter Contributor

Go to Hiroshima and enter basically any given memorabilia store, but make sure to go to the back. They're still selling all that shit and much much worse in vending machines and whatnot. Especially at the shops hiding underground in the subway tunnels. Japan is an interesting and colorful place.

Iain Aschendale and Homer Potvin like this.
  12. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Once I’d read the blurb, I couldn’t not buy it.

A Year In The Country: Wandering Through Spectral Fields: Journeys in Otherly Pastoralism, the Further Reaches of Folk and the Parallel Worlds of Hauntology

EC9D81CB-7942-4DF9-86A4-E704366357EC.jpeg

13. alittlehumbugcalledShe

alittlehumbugcalledShe Active Member

I bought a set of toothbrushes specifically for cleaning the bathroom, and holy shit, they work. Usually I use a normal sponge but there's always the finer gratings and edges that don't get seen to. Bathroom is now immaculate.

OurJud likes this.
  14. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Senior Member

now that is one hell of a title. i want to click it.

this person is a titling genius and i bow before them.

15. OurJud

Oh great, thanks! Now I have to go and buy that one too! Do you think I’m made of money??

16. OurJud

I wish I’d never discovered this guy. He’s going to cost me a lot of money! This is one of the greatest ‘distressed’ book covers I’ve ever seen.

3B5848D1-68CD-4EEF-9445-DC45243A084A.jpeg

17. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Staff Supporter Contributor

At an estate sale down my street, there was a pool table for sale. For 1300. Not terrible, but it's not stellar and that was without anything extra.

Negotiated down to 1250, plus nine pool sticks with a stand, caps, balls, a nine ball and sixteen ball rack, and chalk. And a vintage Budweiser Clydesdale hanging pool hall lamp.

Moving it was interesting. Disassembled it myself. Slate is heavy as fuck, but doable. Now I need to make space in the garage and rebuild, which is slightly more complicated, but at my leisure.

18. J.T. Woody

Just bought my dogs new collars (a Lilo and Stitch collar for my girl,and an Aztec print one for my boy)

....and a bigger muzzle. Puppy still eats poop and twigs :nosleep:

Cave Troll likes this.
  19. J.T. Woody

Also, the book i ordered from Amazon came today : "Rest In Pieces: The Curious Fates of Famous Corpses" by Bess Lovejoy

(I flipping hate this phone... I pressed Edit comment... But somehow it "replied" :wtf:)

Cave Troll likes this.
  20. Homer Potvin

A new lawn!

Whoever lived here before we bought the house managed to kill everything but the weeds, dandelions, and crab grass. Option A was to reseed, wait a few months, pray for rain and hope we didn't need to move to option B anyway, which was to install a whole bunch of sod and have instant grass. Luckily it's a city lot and only about 1200 square feet so the expense wasn't too bad. Also had them install a dry well and subterranean drain pipes to channel the downspouts away from the foundation. I thought about doing it myself, but after watching them bring in the backhoe, a dump truck full of loam, and a stack of sod the about the size of my car, I thought, yeah, probably better I didn't burn my next 20 days off screwing with all that.

Onto re-graveling my walkway and getting some new paving stones next. A more practical DIY endeavor, I think. Moving another few hundred square feet of rocks via compact sedan, shovel, wheelbarrow, and rake can't be too heavy/time-consuming, right?

(who am I kidding... break out the checkbook!)

21. Iain Aschendale

My parents' old house has a lawn that looks like Walter White's, but it's in Illinois. New owners seem content to let it stay that way. Oh well.

Cave Troll likes this.
  22. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

If it weren’t for the weeds, I doubt there’d be any green in my back yard. There’s a path my dogs have worn through the yard so big it can be seen on Google Earth.

23. OurJud

A new DVD player to replace my blu ray player (which I also use to watch my DVDs). Now I appreciate that doesn’t make much sense on the surface but I only have a handful of films on blu ray and my player’s fine so long as I don’t try to rewind or fast forward because then it gets all emotional and starts lagging/freezing etc. So my new DVD player will take centre stage, and my blu ray player will come on as sub for those rare occasions I need to watch a blu ray.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  24. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Senior Member

a suitcase. a hard-sided, ballet pink suitcase of carry-on size with a device charging battery and built-in organizational compartments. I'm having it personalized.

This is me manifesting the return of my jumping on planes lifestyle.

25. John McNeil

John McNeil Member

The Emotion Thesaurus by Becca Puglisi

marshipan likes this.