Things you wish authors would stop doing?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Adam Bolander, Jan 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

"He had five in the chamber and one in the clip so he cocked the hammer of of his glock 26, the sunlight gleaming on the patches where the blueing had worn away and fired on full auto, in bursts of two... then he jammed the bandolier into the cylinder to reload... across the road his opponent raised the silenced revolver and worked its slide with an evil grin"

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Even I know most of that is wrong. :cool:

Gravy likes this.
  3. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Yup, the Glock 26 is only available in nickel-plated :)

Seven Crowns, Xoic and Homer Potvin like this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

does it fire illegal hollow points which blow fist sized holes in metal :D

Iain Aschendale and Xoic like this.
  5. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    There was a low budget horror film, I think Maniac Cop, where the female officer was practicing at the range and her partner could tell she was wasting using hollowpoints because she was blowing fist-sized holes in the paper silhouette targets.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  6. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

TMW the entry wound is also the exit wound. :supercool:

7. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

But it sounds so Exciiiiittttinnnnngggg!!!! :supergrin::supercheeky::supershock:

I'm going to need a beta reader or two to vet the guns I use in my W.I.P. It's particularly tricky because my bad guys pick up (steal) guns wherever they can, and each of them has his or her own preference. I'm trying hard to make sure they're all firearms available in the time and place the story is set. We'll get into function after that.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Cave Troll, Iain Aschendale and Xoic like this.
  8. big soft moose

i'll have a look if you want, but i suggest watching some gun youtubers to get a basic idea of how they function if you're not a shooter... something like Demolition Ranch, Kentucky Ballistics, or Honest Outlaw handle enough different guns that you can get an decent idea of how they work just from watching enough episodes...

The thing with King is that he doesn't even try to get it right, hence why you get things like glocks with worn blueing (Glocks are predominantly made out of polycarbonate so they aren't blued... incidentally the idea that you can carry one on to a plane is also BS the receiver, barrel and of course bullets are all still made of metal and will easily set off a metal detector) and illegal hollow points that blow holes in fuel tankers (hollow points aren't illegal and they are designed to dump their energy in soft targets like human bodies... against steel they'd just pancake uselessly)

Incidentally since i know you're writing about terrorists I'll just throw one out that ive seen authors more skilled than king get wrong... soviet/eastern block calibres are generally different sized cartridges to their western counterparts...

Take the 7.62 rifle round... 7.62 Russian comes in 2 main flavours, 7.62x39 being the standard Ak round, and 7.62x54 being the machine gun round. 7.62 nato is 7.62x51... again poor quality control means that some russian guns chambered for the 54 could take the 51, but you definitely can't use either of the russian cartrideges in a westerm weapon

so the relatively well known author who had his Mc take bullets from a terrorist armed with an AK47 to use in his FN Fal ought to be ashamed of himself... but not as ashamed as the guy who had his american soldiers in vietnam loading AK rounds into their M16s which aren't even the right calibre (M16s being 5.56)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  9. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Yes, I sometime watch Matt on Demolition Ranch. Came over from Vet Ranch and stayed for the pretty explosions.

Ouch, painful. So far I've only named weapons available in West Germany in 1983, when the story takes place. But you raise a good point. My terrorist would likely have access to guns from East Germany and other Eastern Bloc countries. Maybe I should use that to alert the readers that my cell is part of a bigger effort, and ergo more dangerous.

Ouch again. So far I haven't mentioned ammunition and probably won't. What I have to be careful of is tailoring my gun language to the awareness of the POV character for a given scene. Like my FMC--- after Book 1 she can identify an AK-47 a mile away, but generally she's doing well to distinguish a shotgun from a rifle and a pistol from a revolver. I can't have her spotting a handgun as a Glock, Ruger, whatever.

10. big soft moose

the commonest eastern block pistol likely to be in terrorist hands around that time was the makarov pm ... its a design inspired by (shamelessly ripped off from) the Walther PP series... so if shes from the west she might recognise it as being like the gun James Bond carries (which at that time was a PPK)

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  11. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

There are lots of American rifles that shoot the 7.62x39 cartridge. It has a modest and growing following in the AR-15 world, and the Ruger Mini-30 is designed around the 7.62x39. Also, there are a lot of imported surplus SKS rifles (from a number of different countries) in the U.S. that shoot the 7.62x39 round.

The Russian 7.62x54R (the 'R' stands for "rimmed," not "Russian") isn't just a machine gun cartridge. The primary Russian battle rifle in WW1 and WW2, the Mosin-Nagant 91/30, originally adopted in 1891 and still in use today (in small quantities), takes the 7.62x54R cartridge. 7.62x51 can't be fired in firearms chambered for 7.62x54R for two reasons: First, although the 7.62x51 bullet is smaller than the Russian bullet, the neck of the cartridge case is larger. Also, the 7.62x54R case has a rim that extends beyond the diameter of the case body (like a .22 rimfire). The rim of the 7.62x51 case is smaller than the diameter to the 7.62x54R case, so the case would go too far into the chamber and the firing pin probably wouldn't reach the primer.

This one is indisputably wrong, but I can understand where the author might have gotten the notion. When the U.S. first started mucking around in Vietnam, we didn't use the M16 -- we were still using the M14, which was chambered in 7.62x51 NATO. By the time I got to Vietnam we were using the M16, but there were indeed stories still floating around that you could shoot North Vietnamese 7.62 ammunition through the M14.

Shifting to handguns, and Eastern Bloc handguns in particular, the Makarov is nominally a 9mm -- but it isn't.

There are, in fact, a LOT of "9mm" cartridges: 9x17 (a.k.a. .380 ACP, 9mm Corto, and 9mm Kurz), 9x19 (a.k.a. 9mm Luger and 9mm Parabellum -- this is what most people mean when they just say "9mm"), 9x21, 9x23 -- and then there's the Makarov round (also used in the Czech CZ-82). It's properly called 9x18, so the case length is 18mm, putting it neatly between 9x17 and 9x19, both of which take bullets with a diameter of .355 to .356 inches. BUT -- the 9x18 is an outlier -- it uses a bullet with a diameter of .365 inches, so it's a bigger (fatter) bullet than all the other "9mm" handgun cartridges. By contrast, .355 inches is almost exactly 9mm -- 9.017mm.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Not the Territory likes this.
  12. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Just now ran across this in Tinker by Wen Spencer:

_20210404_215250.JPG

It goes on to refer to "clips," but since they're speaking in Low Elvish I'll give that a pass.

Cave Troll likes this.
  13. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Avoid Proust like the plague.

J.D. Ray likes this.
  14. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Agreed. For some genres I read (thrillers, for example) I expect a fair amount of action/tension at the start. In other cases, I do like the chance to settle in and get to know the characters and setting somewhat. There's a particular bit of bad advice I dislike: "Start as close to the end as possible." I feel like that was probably meant for short stories, when uttered, and I can see that. I've seen people give that advice when suggesting writers eliminate early chapters from a novel and I think it's bullshit offered up by someone who doesn't know any better.

Current trends seem to lean toward in medias res, which is fine at times but not every time.

15. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

For many of us, reaching The End is not the reason for reading a novel. I know, I know. Shocking.

For me, it's always the journey.

I can take a journey by jet. Or by bus. Or by train, or by car. Or by boat, either on its own or in combination with the other vehicles. On horseback. Or walk. All of these vehicles will get me to 'The End,' but the speed of the journey will not be the same each time. Nor will the experience itself, or what I see and learn along the way. Nor will the impressions left behind be the same.

Those who prefer to fly everywhere will probably want to start reading a story 'as near the end as possible.' Those of us who prefer to walk, take our time, and enjoy the experience will want a more leisurely start. That doesn't mean the start shouldn't be purposeful. It just means that we aren't in a hurry.

16. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Sounds kinda like a human trying to handle an Ork shootah. :p
    Granted a .50 BMG is kinda considered 'small caliber' by Ork
    standards. There was a South American drug cartel that made
    an SMG that could fire the .50 BMG, but it was crude and probably
    the heaviest and unwieldy of homebrew weapons made. I hardly think
    a 9mm Uzi could be as wild and crazy as that. :p

So Uzi doesn't compare to a 40-60 Lb SMG lobbing BMG rounds. :D

17. SapereAude

Considering that the definition of SMG is "a magazine-fed, automatic carbine designed to fire handgun rounds," I don't think anything firing the .50 BMG round could in any way be classified as an SMG.

18. big soft moose

It'd be an assault or battle rifle... but I've never come across a full automatic 50BMG except for actual machine guns like the M2... there are several rifles chambered in the other forms of 50 that can take a full auto lower... like the .50 beowulf

EFMingo likes this.
  19. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I'm impressed by all of the shooty-things knowledge in this thread. Hats off to you guys:read2:.

Iain Aschendale and J.T. Woody like this.
  20. SapereAude

Wikipedia for the win. I had a vague sense that a submachine gun was, by definition, small, but I had to look it up for verification. So, by [apparently accepted] definition, anything that shoots .50 BMG can't be a submachine gun because the .50 BMG is not a handgun round.

Not the Territory likes this.
  21. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I think CT is referring to big fictional monsters for whom 50 cal is pistol ammo though.

Xoic and Cave Troll like this.
  22. SapereAude

The discussion was about a South American drug cartel that made an SMG that could fire the .50 BMG.

Anything that can fire .50 BMG isn't an SMG.

23. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

As much as I don't want to interrupt a lively and amenable discussion... all of you, please stay on topic.

:supercool:

ItzAmber, EFMingo and jannert like this.
  24. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

Sounds like The Last Of Us. And I sided so hard with the "antagonist" in that game that I flat out refused to play the sequel.

GraceLikePain likes this.
  25. Adam Bolander

Adam Bolander Senior Member

From what I've heard about the sequel, you made the right choice.

Bakkerbaard likes this.