1. Kityarah

Kityarah New Member

Think this is workable?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Kityarah, Jun 30, 2016.

I am new here any feedback or suggestions would be great.

I have been rollling this idea around and would like to know if you think it could work for a fantasy novel, possible series. The world is total fantasy with animal races, main character is a crossbreed of a wolf-like race and a cat-like race. Rather lengthy background to explain how this happened to be told throughout the first half of the book. She is, of course, an outcast at the beginning. Adventure, magic, friendship and hardship are all part of the story. Have yet to flesh out the whole plot, but would love to know if you think this could work and if you would read something like this.

Thank you for any input!

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I'm concerned about the "rather lengthy background." That suggests that you think of it as backstory. Backstory tends to be dull. Precisely the same events can be horribly dull as backstory, and very interesting as story. So I'd suggest backing up to the beginning of the backstory, and making it story--if you need the backstory.

Kityarah likes this.
  3. Kityarah

Kityarah New Member

Thank you for that advice. I was not sure how to work it in for sure, so maybe I can do it as a beginning instead.

4. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

So, I will start off by saying that any idea done properly is workable.

This premise seems a bit out of my wheelhouse, but I think if you have a good understanding of plot, action, character you could make something wonderful. I will echo the sentiments of ChickenFreak when he says he got a little nervous at the word "background" as I did too.

My question to this is, why does it need to be a wolf/cat hybrid? I assume you mean to explain how those two things can be together in one being using backstory. Why not make it something a little less unbelievable?

Be careful with gimmicks. Don't write a wolf/cat hybrid character just because you think it hasn't been done. Make it serve a purpose if you're gong to do it.

Kityarah likes this.
  5. Kityarah

Kityarah New Member

Thank you for your reply.

The wolf/cat idea is a bit more complex with the back story and the ideas I have for the main plot, but it does not have to be that exact mix. Still working on the outline right now and it may change once I have all of the world's races decided.
    There will be a reason within the main plot though.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  6. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

As long as there is a reason, I say go for it. Make the story serve you, not the other way around. What genre are you thinking? I assume YA, but that could be ignorance on my part.

EDIT: It also wouldn't hurt to ask yourself if the wolf/cat hybrid thing is worth the amount of backstory it would take to suspend disbelief in your readers.

Kityarah likes this.