1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

what would my two characters do?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Cacian, Dec 30, 2011.

My two characters are out on a wild trip, amongst the forests and wilderness and the stumble into two very unsual gold rings with initials on them?

I am now looking for ideas of what could they do with them?
    Gold is highly sought after in the setting.

what would you make my characters do with the rings?

2. CH878

CH878 Active Member

Literally anything. If you give a few more contextual factors (if you've worked them out yet) I might be able to be a bit more specific to what you want, but there's the obvious route of magic, though you'd be in danger of getting into a cliche. If you want something more real world, they could sell them, maybe the rings are linked to some crime, stolen from some influential person, and when your characters sell them they are implicated.

Also, I fear some people are going to criticize you in this thread on asking other people to work out your story line, but I'm fine with helping you out.

3. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Thank you very much CH878.
    I did think about it(the criticism) but I did take a risk because it well worth a discussion even if it is just with one or two members.
    The characters are a two teenagers , a boy and a girl.
    The story takes place in a futuristic setting with uncertainties loonming ahead regarding the state to the world.
    Whilst gold is highly sought after, anyhting of value might or might be useful in says 5 years time.
    So to melt it and sell it is one possibility I thought about.
    To keep the rings is another possiblity.
    The problems I amhaving is this:
    which ring goes to who is one.
    Then there is the initial.
    One might prefer a ring with nothing to wear it so it is tricky.
    These initials paly a role in the rings.
    I am still working through what the initials might become.
    There is the idea of finding something and decalring as yours but then how can one prove they were found.
    Melting them seems to be the easy option but then it is boring.
    I am thinking of twists to introduce with the initials and linking it somehow to saving the state of the world that might be going totally wrong as stated above.

4. CH878

CH878 Active Member

OK, I'm probably being stupid but I'm not sure what you mean by the 'initials'.
    However, if you're aiming for some sort of 'save the world' story line there are a few options I can think of:

1. The rings could provide the bearer with special powers that enable them to save the world (it has been done a lot but I'm sure you could put an individual slant on it)
    2. The rings are integral to the survival of the world. Perhaps they were taken from somewhere (temple?) and must be returned in order for the balance of the world to be restored.
    3. Maybe the rings are in fact evil, and therefore must be destroyed to save the world (you're getting dangerously close to the Lord of the Rings here though, so I wouldn't go for this option)

You say selling the rings is boring, but if as I said in my previous post the selling of the rings (selling them whole rather than melted down) implicates your characters in a crime then that is not boring at all, because they will have to prove they did not commit the crime.

5. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Hey CH878.
    By initials I meant engraving.
    Do you know the frescos of the Sistine Chapel representing God holding a book with the initials alpha and omega?
    It is along these lines..
    Your ideas are brilliant thank you.
    Yes I did skip the idea that selling the rings can be implicating or linking to a murder and solving it.
    Thank you :)

6. CH878

CH878 Active Member

Ah I see what you mean by initials

Perhaps the initials could be the key to some mystery, which you characters have to solve. The symbols might hold some sort of meaning which when worked out, can be used to save the world.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

they can do anything you want them to do... the possibilities are endless... but are you wanting to 'write by committee'? ... or do you want this to be your own original work?

8. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

It depends on their personalities.

If they're honest people, they'd probably either try to track the owners down or just leave the rings because they don't want to get involved. If they're a bit less honest, they may take the rings and keep them, thinking 'the owner lost them anyway'. If they're experienced thieves, they may try to find someone to sell the rings to - a fence or maybe a pawnshop. (Pawnshops try not to sell stolen goods, but the characters might convince the pawnshop guy that they owned the rings.) If they can't decide what to do, they may ask their parents or someone they trust, though they'd have to be less independent than most teens for that.

Regarding who gets which one if they keep them, if the engravings resemble either character's initials, that character may take that one. Or maybe if they're romantically involved, whichever one finds the rings might give one to the other person as a gift, in which case the one he/she would give away would be the one the other person is expected to prefer. Or they could just divide them up at random, or if they're rivals or something they could fight over it. If they're planning to find the owner, I'm guessing one person would hold both of them. But if they were planning to resell them, both may insist on not letting the other one get both rings, worrying that they won't get their share of the profit.

9. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Exactly that.
    I think it starts with a walk in the wilderness with a couple of friends then end up with them finding two rings , not one, because I do not want them to fight over it.
    Then the initials/engraving means that they cannot sell them because generally people buy items that are entirely free from anyhting on them to make them personal.
    One of them perhaps convince the other that instead of selling them which might implicate them they would propably go on exploring the intitials.

10. Cacian

Cacian Banned

dear mamma

what do you mean by this?

11. Cacian

Cacian Banned

They must take the rings because they are part of the story or they are the stoy if you like.
    This is a good idea.
    They will be planning to work out the initials I think would make a better story and will lead to something else.

12. cologirl42

cologirl42 New Member

I am thinking to explore who the rings belonged to and why did you find them in the "wilderness".

13. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

Hm, brainstorming session people, gather 'round :D
    How about... initials engraved in one of the rings coincidentally are the same as initials of one of your protagonists! Or not coincidentally... just a thought.

Anyways, what do you feel is going to be 'the point' of your story? It seems to me you're still working on scenery and context of your narrative. World building, if you like. Maybe you can think about where do you want the siblings to go from this first scene? Is it going to be a 'rag to riches' story? Or a straightforward adventure? Or a political allegory? Answer yourself this question, if only vaguely, and then procede in writing the second scene - the answer to "what are they going to do with the ring" is going to answer itself!

14. AmyS

AmyS New Member

I would have the characters throw them, immediately, over the nearest cliff. Ya know how much trouble those gold rings can be these days...hehe.

15. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

'writing by committee' is having others provide key elements of one's plot, instead of the writer coming up with them on his/her own...

16. AmsterdamAssassin

AmsterdamAssassin Active Member

One of your character wants to have both rings, so she kills the other character. Now you have only one character, with two rings.

17. Cacian

Cacian Banned

where is the fun in that?
    someone else's will find them..haha:)

18. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I do not write 'killings' in my stories that is the only problem.
    :redface:

19. hoggyboy

hoggyboy New Member

im thinking that these rings actually belong to a really rich corporation, where theyve dropped these last two gold rings in some location as they were flying over it or something.

so what im contemplating is this corporation sends its men to find the two rings, and eventually when they find the location the rings were picked up by the boy and girl, they obviously do not find the rings but instead they find a clue, some sort of clothing from the girl/boy. this is then analysed and the corporation find out who these children are, sending squads of men after them.

now naturally the news of the last pieces of gold breaks out into society, as the press release this information to the public and now it isnt just the corporation chasing after them, but hitmen, criminal organisations, street thieves, etc, all the while the boy and girl have to protect each other as they try to get to a safe place with their prized possession.

20. Cacian

Cacian Banned

That is the plan hence the engravings/initials...the wilderness suggests exploration and time lapse as, in archeology, those rings are as old as time hence the wilderness..

21. hoggyboy

hoggyboy New Member

also these children can be poor or something, hence the reason we do not hate them for stealing the rings (eg to get some money to save their dying mother or something along those lines)...or the corporation is one evil corporation!

someone suggested magic however from what i read it doesnt sound like this sort of story would have magic to me personally, perhaps some sort of new technology if anything at all? the vibe im getting is a futuristic universe that is years from now but is still sort of realistic...ie no magic. i think leaving it simple would be nice---gold is rare, very expensive and now these kids have it, no magic/no special technology

22. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Think like a writer. Come up with how your characters will react, and explore the consequences of their choices. Make all the decisions in your story flow the same way.

If you inspire your readers to consider how they would respond in the same situation, so much the better! Maybe they will create their own stories.

And that is the point. Those will be their stories, You should write your own stories, not everyone else's stories.

Trust your own imagination, and exercise it. That is what makes a good storyteller. There s is, of course, much more to being a good writer than being a good storyteller, but it's a good place to start.

23. Whirlwind

Whirlwind New Member

For some reason they have to be delivered to their owners, else the world will end. You, young apprentice, are tasked with this heavy burden.

24. Silver. Fox

Silver. Fox New Member

AHHH!
    How about...
    One of the characters puts the ring into their pockets and tells the other to do so, so they can sell the rings and not get caught with em when they get back to their town/city. The other character doesn't listen and wears their ring like a medal that says "Look at me! I'm rich!" Then...during their trip...gold-seeking pirate-ninja! They're everywhere!

Okay, maybe you should take out the pirate-ninja, but nothing teaches a lesson better than getting jumped for being ignorant. Maybe by two people looking for the rings?