Novel Thinking you're writing the greatest novel ever?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by louis1, Jun 28, 2012.

1. louis1

louis1 Member

it's an expression like to feel like it's the best thing ever. I know it's not literally....

2. inkyliddlefingers

inkyliddlefingers New Member

Then, frankly, you may be doing it for all the wrong reasons.

When I was a creative writing undergrad at university (I'm now a PhD student) every new lecturer would being by saying something like: "If you are in this room because you want fame and/or fortune you may as well walk out now. If you are in because you love to write, are compelled to write every spare moment on anything to hand, by every fibre of your being, even if no-one ever wants to read a single word, welcome to the world of creative writing." I fully agree with those sentiments.

I'm not saying you shouldn't hope to get published, but it didn't ought to be your motivating force...

3. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

I don't think there are "right" or "wrong" reasons to write.

Simply wanting to see one's work published and appreciated doesn't mean that the work devoid of artistic merit, or cheapened. Such a desire says nothing about the writing; it is a statement about the writer.

The idea that one's art is an unstoppable inner force is a nice romantic vision, but matters of ego, validation, and the desire to be heard, read, or viewed are all elements of motivation for many artists, and there's nothing wrong with it at all.

Does the songbird sing for sheer joy, or to attract a mate? We humans may never know, and in the end, does it even matter? The songbird still sings.

4. louis1

louis1 Member

I know a lot of people think like you, I guess I'm just different in that sense, I don't write for fame fortune, or to get published. I write because I have to. It's just what I have to do, I have no idea why, honestly I hate having to sitting down, but I do it, everyday. I simply have to. and I really want to get published, cause as I said, I'm not doing this for me. I don't know why I'm doing it but if it gets publish well I'll feel like I've doe it for a reason at least. I'm crazy...yep, that must be it.

5. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

Hi. Nice statement. But I feel it needs qualification.

What exactly is the difference between an 'unstoppable inner force'
    and 'matters of ego, validation, desire to be heard' etc?

6. Thumpalumpacus

Thanks for the compliment.

The "unstoppable inner force" refers to the compulsion Inky's average lecturer mentions.

"Matters of ego" are the good feelings many artists get when their work is positively received by the broader public, or even only the friends with whom they share their creations.

"Validation" refers to the feeling that artist gets when they find their self-worth in creating art that pleases other people.

"Desire to be heard" is the general human desire to feel that one's views are important to somebody.

The difference between these considerations, and a compulsion or "unstoppable inner force" is that the listed considerations are susceptible to reason, while a compulsion isn't.

7. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

You're welcome.

Interesting. I'm afraid I'm quite ignorant, so I'm going to
    continue this line of inquiry.

What is a desire?

8. Thumpalumpacus

9. markdienekes

markdienekes New Member

What I lack in skill I hopefully make up for in heart! :D

It won't be the best novel, but I hope people will enjoy it nonetheless.