1. Luna13

Luna13 Active Member

Novel abandoning

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Luna13, Jun 28, 2012.

I've been working on this novel for a while, and I've started feeling like I need to do something else. It's not that I've run out of ideas for this novel - far from it. I've still got loads to say. It's just like I'm bored of writing it maybe, and while I'm writing there's the constant buzz of a new plot I've been thinking about for a while. This plot idea is like a mosquito while I'm trying to write - impossible to catch and kill, but really distracting.

I don't know what to do. If I just "take a break" from the novel, say I'm going to go back to it later, I'm afraid it will just join the pile of great ideas that fizzled out and died.

2. MeganHeld

MeganHeld New Member

I would recommend taking a break from it, just don't ever give up on it. Until you start working on the other idea you won't be able to write the one you have been working on. Give the new idea a shot. When in doubt, you can always return to the book you have been working on for a while.

3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Only you can answer this question, Luna. You're the one who knows why you write. You're certainly the only one who knows which story in you is most important to get out first.

4. live2write

live2write Senior Member

Everybody needs a vacation once in awhile, same for books

5. killbill

killbill Member

Some writers actually get away from their on going project because they fear they may be too close to detect any mistakes. So, don't abandon, just take a break from it, it'll do more good than harm.

6. michaelj

michaelj Active Member

If your bored, your reader is bored. So unless you feel a spark, take a break.

7. Justin Richards

Justin Richards New Member

Take a break, but come back to it. I've been in your boat before (and still in it), but I wasn't as disciplined as I'd hoped. I have a .doc library full of unfinished projects, and it's actually a little embarrassing seeing my lack of discipline laid out in a neat little list every time I open the folder. Don't fall into the habit of giving up your stories easily. If the break doesn't work, and you're still feeling uninspired maybe it's a sign to move onto greener pastures, but only after you've given it a good go.

Best of luck.

8. SparkIdeaRevelation

SparkIdeaRevelation New Member

Definitely take a break and try out the new idea. It may give you more ideas for your other story and refresh your motivation. Just don't stop writing.

9. louis1

louis1 Member

Someone said this before, but seriously if it bores you, it will bore everyone else.
    seriously, if you find it boring, imagine how people will think of it as boring. drop it. write something else, that you don't think is boring

10. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Put it on a back burner. Look to other projects and maybe reapproach it later. I did this with one of my own pieces, and in all honesty, it really helped. The Traveller is spectacular, better for the aging. Great now it sounds like I am trying to promote choice spirits, cured meats, and cheese...:redface:

- Darkkin