1. RickLax.com

RickLax.com New Member

Escalator Nazi Police

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by RickLax.com, May 22, 2008.

There’s a sign on the escalator that goes down to my drycleaners. It reads, “Hold handrails.” The thing is, the sign has quotes around it. Makes it seem like whoever made the sign was trying to say something like, “ ‘Hold handrails’ …or so the escalator Nazi police would have you believe.”

Or did they have some other meaning in mind that I missed…?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

how about the person who ordered the sign and approved of it just didn't have a clue what s/he was doing, or what " " mean when you use them?...

3. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

Such is the state of affairs in todays complacent society, and signwriting is a dying art. :(

My grand-daddy was a signwriter, he taught me evrything he knew. I loved his workshop when I was little, and have such fond memories of skipping through piles of saw dust like they were autumn leaves, and of course the subsequent trips to the emergency room because I was choking on the minute wooden particles.... Good times...good times. :D

*Based on a true story. :p

4. MumblingSage

MumblingSage New Member

My heart in on the shores of Gitchee-Gume, my body
    There's a whole site dedicated to missplaced quotation marks...http://www.juvalamu.com/qmarks/

5. Aurora_Black

Aurora_Black New Member

That website is actually kind of funny, i was reading a bit off the first page.