Tags:
  1. JimmyJazz

JimmyJazz New Member

This is London Calling...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JimmyJazz, Sep 17, 2018.

Hi there, folks. I am a Northern fiction writer living in London, dabbling primarily in Sci-Fi and the odd bit of Horror whilst occasionally giving more serious writing a whirl. Most of my work has a light-hearted edge to it rather than hard Sci-Fi or anything too gratuitous. I have been known to delve into the realms of poetry now and again, favouring the Haiku and Senryu, although more recently I have been giving the wonderful portmanteau which is the 'Scifaiku' a go.

I have completed my MA in Creative Writing and have had a few short pieces published. I am now working on completing my first novel. I decided to sign up here as it seems like a great community and I think that one of the most important tools a writer can use is the input and feedback from other writers.

So, hi there, it's a pleasure to meet you all.

2. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Roger that, London. This is America, radioing in. #1 land of freedom, Guns, Orange leaders and Mcdonalds. Welcome to the forum.

3. rinnika

rinnika Member

Hey welcome! Good to have another British writer around - I like some light-hearted sci-fi as well, so I'll keep an eye out for your work.

You say you've completed your MA in Creative Writing - might I ask where you did so? I'm interested in doing the same myself.
    Good luck with the novel!

JimmyJazz likes this.
  4. JimmyJazz

JimmyJazz New Member

Thank you, America, it's good to be here! I was over on your fair shores earlier this year and am hoping for a return visit soon.

5. JimmyJazz

JimmyJazz New Member

Thank you. It's nice to meet you!

In answer to your question, I studied at Birkbeck and I can highly recommend it. I think that some of the tutors have changed since I was there but it was a great course and highly regarded, I'm sure it is still just as good. If you want to take your writing up a notch then I would seriously consider doing an MA. Quite a few of the people I'm still in touch with have had some decent success with getting stuff published. As well as the skills you learn (I didn't realise how awful my writing was!) you do meet people and network. If you can do it, I'd say go for it.

And thank you, I do need a bit of luck with the novel! Although it is on it's second draft so it's getting there.

rinnika likes this.
  6. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the forum! You'll get a lot out of that group, I know I have

JimmyJazz likes this.
  7. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Hey limey, join in for sure - but none of your 'shall' or 'forsooth' shit, you schmuck. I think you'll find in the regulations that's the way we swing. Got it?

Some Guy and JimmyJazz like this.
  8. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

Well, my WIP is set in the France of 1792, as the Revolution turns ugly... as such, I make it my business to give the English a beating and drag their sort in the mud.
    But just the same, I'll set aside my prejudice and welcome you to our forum!

_______Excerpt from said story_______

“The crew trade some of their stores in good faith, give the natives proper axes and fine calico cloth to repay their kindness. They find the islanders to be quite civilized in their own way. Enzo says he’d rather have the company of these savages than any Englishman alive. My brother was something of a curiosity among these people, on account of the pretty picture of a bird painted on his chest.”

Adeline arched a brow, “Do you mean a tattoo?”

“Yes. And a fine one at that. Though mother was furious with him when she saw it, ‘Heavens no! My only son is branded like the heathen.’” Mabel slapped her knee and laughed. “It was Enzo’s first Atlantic crossing that he got his tattoo, while the Pandora was anchored in Baltimore Harbor. That’s in America. On Enzo’s night ashore his shipmates took him to a whorehouse to get his wick wet, on account he was a virgin, and well, after the deed was done they got ‘em drunk and poor Enzo, he was sick as a dog and out cold. He woke to find a Negro, a freed slave I believe, putting the finishing touches to a tattoo of a barn swallow on his chest.”

“Why a swallow?” asked Rosemarie.

“Ah, because no matter how far a swallow flies, they always find their way home,” Mabel said sagely.

rinnika and JimmyJazz like this.
  9. JimmyJazz

JimmyJazz New Member

Thanks, I'm sure I will.

10. JimmyJazz

JimmyJazz New Member

Forsooth I shall heed this sage advice.

matwoolf likes this.
  11. JimmyJazz

JimmyJazz New Member

Well, that's jolly decent of you. Nice writing.

Iain Sparrow likes this.