1. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

What kind of reader are you?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Hubardo, Mar 27, 2016.

I did in fact use the search function, and I found this thread. But my question has more layers to it, and that one is 5 years old.

Feel free to answer this in more of a prose fashion, or with bullet points:

1 Are you a fast reader? Slow reader?
    2 When you get excited do you skip descriptive parts to get to the dialogue or action?
    3 Do you look words up in the dictionary or on your Kindle? Or do you just assume you'll absorb the meaning through context?
    4 Do you take notes when you read?
    5 Do you tend to remember or forget characters?
    6 Do you put a book down for days, weeks or months, then return to it?
    7 Do you only read fiction? Only non-fiction? Go back and forth?
    8 Which do you spend more time doing: reading or watching TV/movies?
    9 How many books do you read per year on average?
    10 How do you discover new books? (ie, friends, advertisements, etc)
    11 Have you gone through genre phases? (ie, in my teens I loved fantasy, now I'm more a romance junky)
    12 Do you read before bed? In the morning with food/coffee/tea? On lunchbreaks? On the bus/train? Is there a place you like to read? Can you read anywhere?
    13 Do you go on reading binges then not read for a long time?
    14 Do you ever feel burnt out on reading? (somewhat related to the above question)

That's a lot. OK I'll answer in bullet points for myself:

1 My pace changes based on what I'm reading. Sometimes I need to re-read the first chapter or few pages several times to really immerse myself. I get confused about who is who, where is where, what is what, especially if a lot of jargon or stylistic-ness is happening. I'm probably faster than I am slower, but I think it reduces the quality of my comprehension.
    2 I do get excited and skip stuff sometimes. Even with cliffhangers, when it switches chapters and now I'm in a boring scene with a different character, I'll speed up my pace just to get to the other thing again. Again, terrible for comprehension.
    3 On Kindle yes, with physical books no.
    4 I tried taking notes with a super complicated Ursula K LeGuin short story once, which was a lot of work. But I absorbed everything better. I'm usually too lazy for that though.
    5 With epic fantasy/trilogy-esque series, I forget every fucking body. I jealously hate people who can retain these people. I can't do it. I stay away from these kinds of books because they make me feel stupid.
    6 I've tried, but then I lose interest.
    7 I'm in grad school and so while I'm in school, it's mostly non fiction and news articles and random internet stuff when I'm procrastinating. On my 3 week breaks, I dive back into fiction for a bit.
    8 tv/movies for surrrrrre
    9 For school, a lot, but I only read like 40% of each book because I'm a scumbag like that. Fiction wise... somewhere between 5-10?
    10 Friends, this forum, Googling stuff, reading about stuff...
    11 In my teens, like the example above, I loved fantasy. Now I'm not very into it. Sci-fi is probably my main thing these days, but I also like 'general literature,' and I guess Murakami is 'magical realism,' although that's contentious for some (maybe it's 'low fantasy'). I've never read a 'western,' or a 'romance' or a 'mystery,' but in theory, I'm open to everything...? For 2-3 years all I read was social justice -esque literature, and now I feel like I'll barf if I read anymore. But I would like to read more history that seems less like it's intending to get me mad.
    12 I try to read before bed to improve my sleep quality (tapering off of melatonin, which I'm addicted to), but sometimes put it down on page 1. I read on the bus and train when getting around that way. I enjoy reading on couches and beds, and recently found that reading on the beach is pleasurable. Not usually at desks, weird for my back or something. Mornings, I'm usually too busy to read. Noon/afternoon too, unless it's a day off.
    13 Yes.
    14 Yes.

Seraph751 likes this.
  2. Miller0700

Miller0700 Contributor Contributor

A mixture of both, depending on what mood or state I'm in at the moment.

2 When you get excited do you skip descriptive parts to get to the dialogue or action?

Only if I heard it from someone else that it were occur there. Otherwise rarely because then I won't know the context of the action.

3 Do you look words up in the dictionary or on your Kindle? Or do you just assume you'll absorb the meaning through context?

Both.

Other than for homework, no.

Short books, no. If it's something on the lines of the LOTR or GoT books then probably.

Yes. It's a bad habit of mine.

Both.

Watching TV/Movies.

10-15

Usually by accident. I may stumble on a excerpt of it, browse through the bookstore and read it and like it or see a TV show or movie and like it and want to buy the entire book.

11 Have you gone through genre phases? (ie, in my teens I loved fantasy, now I'm more a romance junky)

Sort of. I'm a science fiction guy, but now I read anything with action, horror, comedy and occasional fantasy.

12 Do you read before bed?

Yes.

In the morning with food/coffee/tea? On lunchbreaks?

Not often.

On the bus/train?

Sometimes.

Is there a place you like to read?

In bed or when I'm waiting for someone or something.

Can you read anywhere?

If it's too loud/energetic or chaotic then no.

Yes (See 6.)

14 Do you ever feel burnt out on reading? (somewhat related to the above question)

Yes. I often get shocked at how much time has gone by after I come back to reality.

3. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

1. I try and take it slow, but I don't always succeed.
    2. As with #1, I try not to skip ahead, but sometimes I do get impatient.
    3. Hm...when I'm reading fiction I hardly ever come across a word I don't know. If it is unfamiliar I'll probably give it a few minutes to see if context clears it up, then yes I suppose I'll google it.
    4. No.
    5.Depends on the character, doesn't it? Actually, what does this question mean--like forget their names, or forget what they're like?
    6. If I were to put a given book down for that long, I doubt I would ever pick it up again.
    7. Mostly fiction, but not entirely. I've been reading a lot of random history lately. And if we include "non-fiction" to include essays or news periodicals, then every day.
    8. Reading. It's not always been that way, but the last couple of years at least.
    9. Really rough guess, 25-30.
    10. Mostly reviews, actually, in the popular press. I really just follow the herd :meh:
    11. I think I've always been a sci-fi fan. Fantasy too, but not as much. Really have never much cared for any other genre. I've gone through a lot of the classics over the years, if you count that as a "genre".
    12. Nowadays I think most of my reading is when I'm riding the train in to work. Or on weekends, during the day. Don't really have a favorite place, I can read pretty much anywhere although when the weather's nice I'm lucky to have a park right across the street to sit in.
    13. Not really. There are certainly periods when I'm more or less busy with other things, but rarely more than a week or two at a stretch.
    14. Sometimes, I suppose. But it usually doesn't last too long.

4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

pretty fast, but mostly because I skim a lot

I do this even when NOT excited!

I have a pretty good vocabulary (only really speak English, so I actually have a pretty crappy vocabulary, but it's focused on a single language). So I pretty much always know the words. If I don't, I look them up with excited glee.

Rarely - only if I plan to write something afterward based on the reading

Remember

Nope. Once it's down, it's done.

Both

Reading. I barely watch TV at all

40? 50?

Review sites, mostly

Yup.

12 Do you read before bed? In the morning with food/coffee/tea? On lunchbreaks? On the bus/train? Is there a place you like to read? Can you read anywhere?
    I can't read in moving vehicles (get car sick). Other than that, everywhere

No

No

5. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Depends. I am a conoisseur with regard to word choice. If the author chooses words with care than I can take a long time reading, because I savour each and every word. If not, then fast - which sadly is more likely.

see 1. If I relish words I do not skip. If no, then yes.

Nope. Never had as far as I can rememember. Context is much more riveting.

Nope. Oh apart from reading for research. Then I highlight a lot.

Again, depends on the authors skill. If the characters are 3D then not.

Nope. At least not unread. Books which find their way into my bookshelf stay around a long time and I reread them often.

Fiction for recreation, non-fiction for research.

I think I have not watched TV since 4 years. Movies are a different matter, but they have grown sparse since I started writing. Again, apart from documentaries (research-related).

Before I started writing? Maybe 200? No idea.

Reading through reviews (sometimes the reviewers talk about similar style, topics).

Nope. Started reading F/SF and never stopped. But recently I discovered that reading non-fiction research can also be very, very riveting.

Anywhere, anyplace, anytime.

There is no such thing as not-reading for a long time. Again, apart from last November when I started writing ;)

Nope. But the topics of research-related books can get to me and then I need a breather of a few hours or days.

Seraph751 likes this.
  6. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Are you doing some research Hub?

1 Are you a fast reader? Slow reader? Fast.

2 When you get excited do you skip descriptive parts to get to the dialogue or action? Yep.

3 Do you look words up in the dictionary or on your Kindle? Or do you just assume you'll absorb the meaning through context? Always look it up on Kindle. With a paper book I'm too lazy.

4 Do you take notes when you read? Only if I'm studying.

5 Do you tend to remember or forget characters? While I'm reading? I often forget side characters and need to be reminded what their relationship is to the MC. Especially if multiple side characters share the same initial, because I tend to remember those rather than whole names.

6 Do you put a book down for days, weeks or months, then return to it? Yes.

7 Do you only read fiction? Only non-fiction? Go back and forth? Back and forth. I read a lot of popular science books.

8 Which do you spend more time doing: reading or watching TV/movies? Reading.

9 How many books do you read per year on average? I really don't have a clue!

10 How do you discover new books? (ie, friends, advertisements, etc) Browsing Kindle. Occasionally through a recommendation from Twitter etc. Unfortunately nobody I know has the same taste in books as me.

11 Have you gone through genre phases? (ie, in my teens I loved fantasy, now I'm more a romance junky) YOU SHOULD BETA READ MY ROMANCE! :D My tastes have changed as I got older but these days I'm pretty consistent.

I can read anywhere but tend to do it on lunchbreaks (when I'm away from my desk) and before bed.

13 Do you go on reading binges then not read for a long time? My reading decreases drastically when I'm writing, so yes.

14 Do you ever feel burnt out on reading? (somewhat related to the above question) Nope. Sometimes I don't feel up to putting the emotional investment in a novel so I read short stories for a while.

7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Slow

Umm.... I don't get excited. Maybe I just engage differently than most, but that doesn't happen for me. I will skip heavy description if gets to feeling masturbatory. Kill your darlings, or so the saying goes, because as a reader I won't put up with them

I occasionally look words up. My vocab is pretty robust so it doesn't happen often. Side-benefit of my line of work as an interpreter and translator.

No. What for? If I find myself feeling an urge to take notes because things are hard to follow, that book gets shelved/tossed and a new book gets started.

I remember them

Yes, this happens.

Depends on what you're counting as "reading". My line of work has me reading uncounted pages of legal documents, of both domestic origin and foreign. If you mean for personal pleasure, only fiction.

Equal parts of both

Maybe 10-ish? I often re-read books that I enjoyed. Don't know if those count.

I like to read author interviews of authors I enjoy. Invariably one of the questions asked in the interview is what the author him/herself is reading now. I often hunt those books down. I'm also into reading LGBTQ Science Fiction and Fantasy. I've got a few "must read" and review pages tagged that are still chockablock with books I have yet to get to. The last series of books I read - the Hexslinger series by Gemma Files - was found that way. Excellent books.

Let's say that I've had phases where I have occasionally strayed away from the genre I pretty much always read (Sci-Fi).

Before bed and while queueing. Brits think they've got queue culture on lock, but I'm here to tell you that Puerto Rico will give them a run for their money any day. Huge bureaucracy here; bureaucracy gives birth to queueing.

Yep.

No. Life just sometimes gets in the way.

8. Tenderiser

Are queue jumpers viewed as utter scum in PR as well?

Wreybies likes this.
  9. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Not only is that true, yes, but just like in the U.K. there's always some older lady or fellah who feels it's his/her job to manage who is where in the queue. Just try to jump and that person will sound the klaxons and publicly shame you without remorse or concern for current "don't shame" trends. She'll flay you verbally! :bigeek:

Tenderiser likes this.
  10. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Very fast.

Nope.

Once in a while, but the authors I mostly read don't use many words I don't recognize. More often, I'll look up places or historical figures mentioned.

Nope.

Unless the character is particularly memorable, or the main character in a series of books, I usually forget them.

Rarely, if ever, with fiction. If I put a novel down, it's because I don't like it.

I tend to go in spurts. The last five books I read were non-fiction, all but one biographies.

Reading.

I've never counted, but scores, maybe over a hundred in some years.

I get all my fiction at the local library, so I'm kind of dependent on the librarian's choices, but I have a good relationship with her, and she'll usually order something if I ask. Non-fiction is usually borrowed from (and lent to) friends.

As a younger man, I read a lot of science fiction, but not much anymore. I like to think that I didn't leave SF, SF left me. In fiction, I read mostly mystery and suspense. So much 'literary' fiction has gone way too PC for my taste.

Most anytime of the day, usually in my reading chair. I don't read (or sleep, ever) in public places.

Nope.

No, but there isn't always time for it.

11. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

1 Are you a fast reader? Slow reader? Fast

2 When you get excited do you skip descriptive parts to get to the dialogue or action? Not usually.

3 Do you look words up in the dictionary or on your Kindle? Or do you just assume you'll absorb the meaning through context? It's been a while since I ran across a word I didn't know, unless it's the name of something I've not heard of before. Depending on context, I would look it up ...or not.

4 Do you take notes when you read? Only if I'm planning to write a review.

5 Do you tend to remember or forget characters? I remember some, forget others

6 Do you put a book down for days, weeks or months, then return to it? Sometimes. All depends on why I put it down.

7 Do you only read fiction? Only non-fiction? Go back and forth? I read both, a lot

8 Which do you spend more time doing: reading or watching TV/movies? Definitely reading. I hardly ever watch TV or movies.

9 How many books do you read per year on average? Gosh ...probably 50 or so, depending. Probably more, actually. I'm always reading
    something.

10 How do you discover new books? (ie, friends, advertisements, etc) Reviews in magazines and books, book lists of topics I am interested in, Amazon recommendations, friends, recommendations from people I interact with online

11 Have you gone through genre phases? (ie, in my teens I loved fantasy, now I'm more a romance junky) Not really

12 Do you read before bed? In the morning with food/coffee/tea? On lunchbreaks? Before bed, in the morning with coffee, other times of the day ...but I usually sit on my bed to read. Habit from childhood, I guess!

On the bus/train? Absolutely never. Trying to read in a moving vehicle makes me nauseous. Is there a place you like to read? Bed Can you read anywhere? Not really. I can read other places, but I don't usually get immersed if there are any distractions.

13 Do you go on reading binges then not read for a long time? No. I've always got books going and waiting to go.

14 Do you ever feel burnt out on reading? (somewhat related to the above question) No.

12. tumblingdice

tumblingdice Member

1 Are you a fast reader? Slow reader? Slow.
    2 When you get excited do you skip descriptive parts to get to the dialogue or action? Usually :D. I think that's why I have so very little description in my own writing.
    3 Do you look words up in the dictionary or on your Kindle? Or do you just assume you'll absorb the meaning through context? I'm always looking up new words (English is my second language).
    4 Do you take notes when you read? No.
    5 Do you tend to remember or forget characters? Remember. Even when there's loads and loads of characters.
    6 Do you put a book down for days, weeks or months, then return to it? Yeah. Some books are difficult so I need to let them rest for a while.
    7 Do you only read fiction? Only non-fiction? Go back and forth? Mostly fiction.
    8 Which do you spend more time doing: reading or watching TV/movies? Watching TV. What? I'm tired :p
    9 How many books do you read per year on average? 10.
    10 How do you discover new books? (ie, friends, advertisements, etc) Through recommendations on Goodreads.
    11 Have you gone through genre phases? (ie, in my teens I loved fantasy, now I'm more a romance junky) When I was a kid I used to read fantasy and romance, I only began to get into more "serious" books in my 20s.
    12 Do you read before bed? In the morning with food/coffee/tea? On lunchbreaks? On the bus/train? Is there a place you like to read? Can you read anywhere? I can't read anywhere, I can only do it at home with no distractions around. So I usually read before bed and before work.
    13 Do you go on reading binges then not read for a long time? I used to, but not anymore. I consider it a bad habit.
    14 Do you ever feel burnt out on reading? (somewhat related to the above question) After reading particular heavy topics, yes. But then I choose something light to read next.

13. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Slow. I appreciate style. I generally read works by strong stylists because I love the way they use language. I often read these works aloud. I proudly move my lips when I read! :p

When I was in my teens, I read very fast. I practiced speed-reading. Eventually I realized I was missing most of what I was reading for in the first place. So I shifted down to first gear and enjoyed my reading a lot more.

No.

I have a pretty good vocabulary, so I don't need to look things up often. I'm good at gathering meaning from context. Sometimes I look things up just to find out about a word's etymology, or differences between American and British usage.

Sometimes. If a book is really stimulating to me, I write down my thoughts and imaginings as I read. To me, a really good book is one that has me pausing to stare off into space often, just thinking about what I'm reading.

It depends on the quality of the book and the virtuosity of the writer. If the book has really well-developed characters, I remember them. If the characters are just puppets going through the motions of the plot, then I can't remember them - they're not really characters, but placeholders.

If I put it down for a long while, I restart from the beginning.

I read both.

I don't watch series TV at all. I use my TV for movies and sports, mostly. I guess the TV/reading ratio is about 50-50.

Alas, young apprentice, this is one of those mysteries Man is not meant to solve.

Often reviews in magazines or online. I read about books almost as much as I read actual books.

I read nothing but science fiction when I was a kid. I started reading literary fiction in my late teens, and that's what I usually read now. Unless it's something special, or I'm in a nostalgic mood, I don't read much science fiction any more. I do write it, though - is that weird?

I read in bed or in my easy chair. I hardly ever read in public places.

When I'm in a period of writing full-bore, I don't read. Between writing spurts, I read quite a bit.

No.

14. Jeni

Jeni Member

1 Are you a fast reader? Slow reader? fast
    2 When you get excited do you skip descriptive parts to get to the dialogue or action? sometimes
    3 Do you look words up in the dictionary or on your Kindle? nope Or do you just assume you'll absorb the meaning through context?yes
    4 Do you take notes when you read?nope
    5 Do you tend to remember or forget characters?I usually forget everyone except my very favorite characters.
    6 Do you put a book down for days, weeks or months, then return to it?Sometimes
    7 Do you only read fiction? Only non-fiction? Go back and forth?Fiction, unless of course there's a class/work assignment.
    8 Which do you spend more time doing: reading or watching TV/movies?Reading
    9 How many books do you read per year on average? Between 30 and 50.
    10 How do you discover new books? (ie, friends, advertisements, etc)Word of mouth, internet, advertisements, ect.
    11 Have you gone through genre phases? (ie, in my teens I loved fantasy, now I'm more a romance junky)I love many different genre's but my "go to" for entertainment is usually Historical Romance.
    12 Do you read before bed? This is my absolute favorite time to read. It helps me to wind down.In the morning with food/coffee/tea? On lunchbreaks? On the bus/train? Is there a place you like to read? Can you read anywhere?I can read anywhere. My bed, in the car on a road trip, and my front porch swing in the springtime are probably my favorite places to read.
    13 Do you go on reading binges then not read for a long time?I am pretty steady at reading every night but I do wax and wane depending on my moods.
    14 Do you ever feel burnt out on reading? (somewhat related to the above question)I get burnt out on rare occasions. When this happens, I usually turn to another art form (even coloring). These spells don't usually last very long though.

15. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

1 Are you a fast reader? Slow reader? Depends on the novel. Genre I can read in a couple hours. Literary can take me a day or two
    2 When you get excited do you skip descriptive parts to get to the dialogue or action? If the novel has a familiar formula ( gothic romance, bodice rippers, mysteries ) then I tend to skim. Particularly when the description isn't that exciting anyway.
    3 Do you look words up in the dictionary or on your Kindle? Or do you just assume you'll absorb the meaning through context? I usually get the meaning through context but if my dictionary is nearby I'll look it up.
    4 Do you take notes when you read? not for the first read through
    5 Do you tend to remember or forget characters? Depends on the amount of characters or if there is some confusion in how they were introduced.
    6 Do you put a book down for days, weeks or months, then return to it? yes
    7 Do you only read fiction? Only non-fiction? Go back and forth? I read fiction, true crime, non-fiction, literary studies and lots of books on movies. I mix it up.
    8 Which do you spend more time doing: reading or watching TV/movies? Don't watch TV. But I love movies, so on certain weeks there is definitely more movie watching then reading.
    9 How many books do you read per year on average? I have no idea
    10 How do you discover new books? (ie, friends, advertisements, etc) word of mouth, the book section in the paper, lists on Goodreads.
    11 Have you gone through genre phases? (ie, in my teens I loved fantasy, now I'm more a romance junky) loved 80s ya series ( still collect them ), gothic romances, bodice rippers, horror. But my reading is a bit more sporadic now.
    12 Do you read before bed? In the morning with food/coffee/tea? On lunchbreaks? On the bus/train? Is there a place you like to read? Can you read anywhere? in bed at night.
    13 Do you go on reading binges then not read for a long time? yes
    14 Do you ever feel burnt out on reading? (somewhat related to the above question) only when I read a lot of one genre. The formula and tropes can make me a little batty and impatient. Like I'm reading the same blasted story over and over.

16. Hubardo

@Tenderiser no research, just curious. :) And wanted to see how my reading habits compared to others.

Tenderiser likes this.
  17. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

1.) Fast
    2.) Absolutely!
    3.) The second one.
    4.) No.
    5.) Remember, if they're good characters. :D
    6.) Sometimes.
    7.) Only fiction.
    8.) Watching TV.
    9.) Not including manga...hm...anywhere between 10 and 20 full novels, depending on the year.
    10.) Browsing the library, or the Barnes and Noble Website.
    11.) I'll get into a YA series and read nothing but that for a while.
    12.) The afternoons/ evenings. I devote a lot of my weekends to reading.
    13.) Not really. I'll read a boook and do nothing but read that book, but then I usually slow down.
    14.) If I can't find anything good, but I don't get burnt out from actual reading.

18. Hubardo

I should have also added:

What about audiobooks?

19. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

1 Are you a fast reader? Slow reader? (Fast, when I want to be)

2 When you get excited do you skip descriptive parts to get to the dialogue or action? (Not usually)

3 Do you look words up in the dictionary or on your Kindle? Or do you just assume you'll absorb the meaning through context? (On occasion I do but I've got vocabulary but I still don't know every word)

4 Do you take notes when you read? (Never unless its for research)

5 Do you tend to remember or forget characters? (Almost always remember)

6 Do you put a book down for days, weeks or months, then return to it? (Yes from time to time but that might be cause I got caught up in reading something else)

7 Do you only read fiction? Only non-fiction? Go back and forth? (Mainly fiction but I'll read anything)

8 Which do you spend more time doing: reading or watching TV/movies? (Reading as of late)

9 How many books do you read per year on average? (Hmmmm 20-30 ish)

10 How do you discover new books? (Friends, reviews, browsing in stores, online etc)

11 Have you gone through genre phases? (Yes but no genre ever really leaves me. I am into crime at the moment but still love and write fantasy but love crime just as much. I love all the genres though tbh)

12 Do you read before bed? In the morning with food/coffee/tea? On lunchbreaks? On the bus/train? Is there a place you like to read? Can you read anywhere? (I'll pretty much read whenever or where ever I can, if I can manage it)

13 Do you go on reading binges then not read for a long time? (More so when I was younger)

14 Do you ever feel burnt out on reading? (somewhat related to the above question) (No not really)

15 What about audiobooks? I don't use audiobooks or kindles. I like hardcovers and paperbacks. I have nothing against the kindles or audiobooks but eh.

Audiobooks put me to sleep usually and we stare at screen everyday as it is. I like that books offer me an escape from that.

20. Rethagos

Rethagos Member

It depends on a kind of book I'm reading. Non-fiction - slow. Fiction - pretty fast.
    Welp, you got me there.
    While reading? Not a chance I'll look up a single word I don't know the meaning of.
    OFC I don't.
    I'd say I lean more on the "forget" side.
    It happens, but not so often, and mostly when reading fiction.
    Both.
    More like watching YouTube.
    Now, it's like 10-15. Back in the days of school, it was more like 30-40.
    Internet - best <insert genre books> - Look up reviews - Look up author.
    In a matter of fact, no. My genre tastes have just... matured. From just fantasy to more like horror/dystopian/post-apo, that kind of stuff
    Mostly on the bus/train/while waiting for lectures.
    Wait, doesn't that happen to everyone?
    From time to time.
    15 What about audiobooks?
    Exceedingly useful, especially when reading non-fiction. Speed the audiobook up, like to 150%, then get yourself a copy of the same book, then read & listen to it at the same time. Works wonders.

21. Anna100

Anna100 Active Member

1 Are you a fast reader? Slow reader? Slow. Like a sloth.
    2 When you get excited do you skip descriptive parts to get to the dialogue or action? I don't remember ever doing that? Maybe I have, but not as a habit. I usually don't skip parts.
    3 Do you look words up in the dictionary or on your Kindle? Or do you just assume you'll absorb the meaning through context? Rarely. Maybe if I read an English language book, but most of the time I don't. I think many times I'll 'absorb the meaning through context'.
    4 Do you take notes when you read? Not when I read fiction. Reading non-fiction (not school/job related) I might write down something from the book that I want to explore further. But mostly no.
    5 Do you tend to remember or forget characters? When I think about it ... I do remember characters.
    6 Do you put a book down for days, weeks or months, then return to it? Sometimes. I put down so many books, though,
    7 Do you only read fiction? Only non-fiction? Go back and forth? I read both. A while back I almost only read non-fiction. Now I read more fiction.
    8 Which do you spend more time doing: reading or watching TV/movies? Not so much watching TV, but browsing the internet. Lot more than reading, I'm afraid.
    9 How many books do you read per year on average? Not enough.
    10 How do you discover new books? (ie, friends, advertisements, etc.) Hmm. I work in a book shop, so I come across new books all the time. Though I don't necessarily read them. I sometimes take note of interesting books, write it down on paper and then loose the paper. :p
    11 Have you gone through genre phases? (ie, in my teens I loved fantasy, now I'm more a romance junky) I have never thought about what kind of genres I like. Whatever as long as the story is interesting. I probably do have a preference, I'm just not aware of it. I've read all kinds of books through the years.
    12 Do you read before bed? In the morning with food/coffee/tea? On lunchbreaks? On the bus/train? Is there a place you like to read? Can you read anywhere? When I'm on vacation, I read a lot more (no internet). I can't read anywhere, no. Especially if there is a lot of noise, then I can't focus.
    13 Do you go on reading binges then not read for a long time? Don't think I have reading binges? I can go awhile without reading.
    14 Do you ever feel burnt out on reading? (somewhat related to the above question) No, I don't read that much to be burned out.
    15 What about audiobooks? For some strange reason I never listen to audiobooks.

22. Tenderiser

I adore audiobooks. I do about 7.5 hours of driving a week (commute) and audiobooks are great for that.

23. LostThePlot

LostThePlot Naysmith Contributor

At the risk of sounding self involved the only things I read are my books. It's not that I'm against the idea of reading I just don't really feel any pull towards reading actual books anymore and I genuinely haven't for years on end, not since way before I started writing. It's not that I don't like stories (I too consume large amounts of audio books) I just find that for me reading and writing are broadly on the same level. I need to sit and focus on one thing to do either, and I can't just summon that by magic either, so when I'm in the mood I want to write, not read, or at least be working on my stories even if that does just mean reading through them again.

24. Kieran

Kieran New Member

Slow. I tend to dive deep and sometimes I may stop for a while and just think about what I just read or re-read some line, dialogue or full paragraph right away just because it was so good or interesting. I suppose this is why I remember events and even details for years after reading a book even if I'd read it only once.

Absolutely not.

I mostly assume. I look a word up only if the situation is so interesting that I want to make sure I understood it completely. And even then I may wait until I've finished reading for that time instead of putting the book down just to look up a word. Except when reading an rpg post to which I'm supposed to reply.

No.

Remember.

It depends on how interesting the story is. Rarely do I put a book down for months.

Mostly fiction.

These days, watching TV/movies. Unless RPG posts count.

Lately, 1-2.

Movie adaptations, advertisement, or family members.

No.

Sometimes before bed, usually during the day or at night laying on my bed or on the couch.

Yes, sometimes but mostly I read occasionally/every now and then.

Yes.

25. haider

haider Member

slow reader.
    I usually skim through it , rather than avoiding .Because perhaps there is something some poetic prose .
    all the time , english is not my native languages .
    only mental notes .
    yes , sometime .
    not really , i usually put down perhaps because of plot slowed down. But I returned after couple of days .
    all of it .
    -Watching documentaries .
    - about ten or twenty .Deepen on my working hours and how interesting book .
    discovering by accident or review .
    yes. I used to love fantasy , but now Like drama.
    anywhere depending how interesting the book .
    yes .
    no , because I don't even read a lot.