1. Keelan Goldhallow

Keelan Goldhallow New Member

This sounds weird but I need the opinion of someone who is attracted to girls.

Discussion in 'Research' started by Keelan Goldhallow, Jul 28, 2016.

So in the story I'm writing, there's this guy. And he's kinda famous. Anyway, this pretty girl shows up at his house and tells him that she basically changed her name and got a job just to get a chance to meet him. She grabs his hand, which creeps him out and makes him angry and he throws her out. He then asks another guy what he would do in that situation. I'm not sexually attracted to girls and neither is the main guy (we're both asexual) so I need to know what someone who is sexually attracted to girls would do.

2. A lake.

A lake. Member

Depends she seems kinda creepy.. a lot of factors would add in my reaction including what I had for breakfast . I think you can write it how you want, if you make it seem real. And who know his buddy might react just like he did, that or drop his drawers and roll her on the porch ;) Really it depends what you want in your story.

3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

If it were me and I didn't know the girl, I'd back away and go, “Shit, shit, shit, why did she do that?! Gah!!” and avoid her at all costs. However, if I did know her and did at least like her a bit, I would be a bit more welcoming and accepting. I wouldn't push it or anything, but I'd more or less let her stay.

Shattered Shields likes this.
  4. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

It's not a case of who the character is attracted to, but what kind of character he is. Randomly choose any 10 straight men and they would all react in a different way.

You need to get in your characters' heads, even if you don't share their sexual preferences.

5. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

I would be extremely creeped out. There are people out there who manipulate through maryrdom and neediness, as a control mechanism. Like "I gave up everything for you, so now you owe me everything" even though you never asked them to give up jack shit. No matter how pretty she was, I'd go running.

Unless it was like, someone I'd known for a very long time who I was in a serious long distance relationship with, or something. But even then, they'd have to have other reasons for wanting to live in the city -- that way if it didn't work out, they'd still be happy there anyway and the move would have still been good for them. Not "great, this person moved and changed jobs and uprooted their life for me, so now I'm all that's keeping their life from being ruined."

It's like she's dumping all the responsibility for her into his lap, when he never wanted or asked for that. Time to go running for the hills.

Simpson17866 and Sifunkle like this.
  6. CrusherBrooks

CrusherBrooks Member Supporter

Well, I consider myself a nice guy. She's pushy (physically invading my space, not to mention looking me up in my home) but I would feel terrible if I didn't give this obviously delusional and probably emotionally unstable girl a hand. However, not at the expense of my own safety. If I had the means to do so I'd probably set up some sort of intervention. But in a more immediate sense, she needs to leave my physical proximity asahp.
    If your MC asks advice from an outsider, do consider that this outsider will not feel as threatened as the person whose feeling of security has been breached and is therefore more likely to take some sort of neutral stance towards the issue because he will be less emotionally involved. If someone were to ask my advice, I'd tell them to help this girl with obvious mental issues even though it's neither of our responsibilities. Then again, I'm just a nice guy.

7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

The question assumes everyone attracted to girls would do the same thing. They wouldn't. This is character-specific. Only you, as the author, can answer the question of how this character would react.

8. Shattered Shields

Shattered Shields Gratsa!

Well, I'd tell you what I'd do and how I would react.

No matter how good she looks, no matter how alluring she might be, every single alarm in my head would be wailing like klaxons. "Crazy crazy crazy". And I would very promptly turn her away, kindly but firmly.

I mean no offense to anyone, but my uncle once told me something very wise. "Don't stick your dick in crazy". The only men that would be happy to receive this random woman showing up to their door are either foolish, or, well, horny.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  9. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

^ What he said - or, a third type of man, the type that is insecure and/or narcissistic and domineering and needs someone to control. In that case, he's equally as dysfunctional as she is.

10. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

In the few times I've been in that situation, I do confess to being taken aback. I can't say I was ever repelled, but wondered if there was some sort of agenda I wasn't seeing. It usually turns out that she was either trying to make a connection with me (not necessarily sexual), or that she did this sort of thing to lots of people, having come from a culture where that was common, and there wasn't anything particularly significant about it.

11. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

There have been multiple times when a woman has changed her name and her job in order to get closer to you?!? @JLT, are you secretly a movie star?

12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

To the OP, what do you mean "He's kinda famous"?

People get famous for different reasons; a world-class athlete I'd expect to be pretty creeped out by this sort of approach, and maybe (as @CrusherBrooks suggests) try to get her some counselling. A football star (anybody from the UK will know who I mean!) would probably accept this kind of adulation as his due, and have sex with her. A famous film star, ditto. A famous business man would probably see her as some sort of gold-digger and give her short shrift.

And the friends of these famous people would, probably, have a similar view on the world, otherwise they wouldn't really be sufficiently close friends for the famous one to confide in them. But, they could be a few degrees further away from the "famous" reaction - either way. E.g. more like their moral conscience, telling the businessman to get her some counselling.

13. JLT

Not me. I was simply describing my reaction to the gesture, not the information. The information would creep me out far more than the gesture.

14. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

What gesture, though? Showing up at your house?

15. Keelan Goldhallow

Keelan Goldhallow New Member

@Shadowfax he's a pirate and the friend that he asks is a new recruit who used to be a butcher's apprentice

16. sahlmi

sahlmi Active Member

Not truly knowing your story or characters, his reaction seems too sensible for a "pirate" to me. But then, maybe you simply want to avoid stereotypes and that's a good thing. But excepting that, his reaction doesn't quite fit for me.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  17. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

....sounds legit. Could happen. Why not?

18. JLT

Grasping my hand. People showing up at my house happens all the time (or did, anyway, until I put up the "No Soliciting" sign).

Cave Troll likes this.
  19. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

The MC could suspect the woman to be perpetrating some kind of scam and be fearful of being blackmailed in some way, whilst also being tempted by her offer of affection. A polite 'no thank-you' would then be a reasonable response.

20. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Is this a modern or futuristic pirate? In a more traditional sense of a pirate, he would be wary but have his way with her. Although this would mean based on what you said about him having a house, is that he is semi-retired from pirating for the most part (or much older than her as in like his 50s and up). Back to the traditional analogy, one or the other may have an agenda that involves one of them killing the other (or the very least exploitation for personal gain).

To be fair you do not clarify the time period with which this takes place in. Going to need more info before being able to give a better answer to help with your predicament. At best he would probably decline her offer of affection, seeing as he has no sexual preference. It is note worthy that you made the woman the aggressor in the courting, which is not common overall. At the end of an interaction like the one you have presented, it will have her come off more of a nuisance to the MC. And that could be entertaining if you can pull it off.

Good luck with your work. :)

21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

This reads like fantasy to me...

22. Ziggy.

Ziggy. Active Member

Well your guy is famous right? So put that into account. He's approached by women and men all the time, adoring him, cursing him out. He's not stranger to attention if he's famous right? And he's asexual. Now depending on how agitated or angry you want him to be, you could emphasise that he's asexual and as such, he could take her approach with a dry sort of "Stop that." Now if they were attracted to woman, your character needs to have some sort attraction to the person. If they like that person then the approach will be positive, or it will be negative if they are not attracted. It's that simple. The man who is attracted to females, I'm assuming the character who is asked by your protagonist will most likely say something along the lines of "That's pretty fucked up how she did all that stuff to get to you. But was she cute?"

You catch my drift? Men will still find physical attraction against personality or action most likely.

23. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Some guys would do a woodpile if they thought there was a snake it it , so is entirely plausible that his mate will be all " you should have taken her, man, I would've" - especially if he's a seething ball of hormones which being an apprentice might imply ... on the other hand I personally wouldnt do a stranger who turned up at my house in those circumstances because she's clearly crazier than a bucket full of moles