1. InkDancer

InkDancer New Member

P.G. Wodehouse

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by InkDancer, Jul 1, 2008.

JanesLife and I were just discussing P.G. Wodehouse. Has anyone else read him?

2. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

Yes, a lot of people in the UK have seen or/and read him.

I personally find him very funny, though after a few book sit I could see the humour getting repetitive.

Recently his family agreed with a slightly famous author to write another Jeeves novel (and also a Blandings if I recall), and I thought it was a good imitation but also a nice fresh and different entry into the series.

There's also a theatre play that's going on in London and *I think* the US.

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Sebastian Faulks the guy's name was, he's famous for his novel Birdsong. Faulks is a decent writer but he doesn't have anything like like old Plum's wit or the wealth of old Plum's knowledge of literature.

Wodehouse is a very joyful writer, he's the kind of writer you read to unwind and want something more soulful than the tripe they show on TV. But he was the world's biggest man-child; he's cute, but in no way profound. Aside from a great amount of enjoyment I would say there isn't that much point in reading him.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  4. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

That's what I said, it's the sort of novel you might read after reading a few complex and depressing ones to change the tone a bit.

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

A friend once said Wodehouse is a good novelist to read when you are unhappy in general. I'm not sure I agree, but I know what they mean. When you do not want something particularly poignant or complicated; the major bad thing you can say about Wodehouse is that all of his stories are pretty much the same.

He had three story styles and they rarely divulged from that style formula.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014