1. Zelenia

Zelenia New Member

Featured Writer

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Zelenia, Feb 19, 2009.

Reading the "Poster of the Week" thread gave me an idea. It's basically the same idea, but it doesn't go by post count. Maybe every week, we can have a Featured Writer. They can have their own little special area with a sample of their writing. ^.^ Whoever wants to be featured can submit a piece of their work...a story or poem or what have you...and each week, one of them will be chosen at random and displayed.

Good idea? Bad idea? o.o;

2. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I think something that the WF likes is that we dont have a corkboard where members can come and slap work up for everyone to 'ooh' and 'ahh' over. I've not been a member of any other writing forums, but I do know that those of us who are have said before that it becomes quite boring.

We already have a place for everyone to post their work for review and 'ooh's and 'ahh's as appropriate (the Review Room), and we have a place for those who have earned something with their writing by winning weekly contests in the subforums for shorts and poems.

However. I dont really want to see the idea die; it's an interesting one. If it was more developed and had a bit more to it (what more would be added I dont know, myself), it could go somewhere. :)

I do prefer this to "Poster of the Week" though.

3. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

It has legs, but comes with drawbacks. Daniel (Site Admin) would have to create the space, which would take time and also his approval. It would then need to be Mod controlled, by a team that is already stretched. The space might need to be locked to prevent work being posted there, other than the featured piece(s). This might be difficult to police, having the area open for comment, but closed to new posts. There would also be instances of dual-posting in the Review room and then possibly again in that space, all this adds to Mod work.

In summary, I agree it is interesting as a concept, but if I'm honest I don't see it (yet) being implemented. Kind regards.

4. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

How would the featured writer be chosen? I imagine that whatever method is chosen, there could be dismay or annoyance from those who feel that they ought to be there and are not. There is a danger that it will turn into a mutual admiration society between members of a "clique". I have seen this happen time and time again on other forums (fora?) not just writing sites. Even "off topic" sections can contain threads where, if you join in, you are ignored by the gang.
    I would be against it.

5. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Ah yes, that was my other point that I neglected to mention. This is the biggest stumbling block for this scheme, as far as I see it. We are a site, which encourages review and improvement. The ethic of the site is not one of showcase. The bias that the Mods may have in picking a featured member maybe innocent, but it could and sometimes would cause friction with other members. A selection panel is not an option due to constraints on the volunteers, so sadly I think this suggestion will go the way of the 'poster of the week' and be confined to suggestion only.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's an interesting idea, but I worry about it turning into a popularity contest. I also think it's a bit of a buzz kill for the writers who write quality work, but whose always come in second to something flashier.

I don't think the moderators should be the ones to select the top writer. For one thing, it's too much additional work! But also, the mods have to deal with too much administrivia than could be at cross purposes with fair selection of the week's winner.

I'm not sure that the momengt in the sun would be worth the resentments that would arise with it, even apart from all the extra work tro maintain it.

7. Zelenia

Zelenia New Member

I already said how I figured they should be chosen...right there in the first post, lol. In my idea, there would be a place to submit their piece (not publically) and from that group of people, whoever is running the Featured thing would choose someone at random each week (minding that they don't pick someone twice in a row), thus getting rid of the "popularity contest" thing. Because...it's not a contest, it's random, lol. That way, everyone that submits their work, no matter how popular they are, knows that they have an equal chance.

8. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Someone once said, "Only God can make a random selection."

9. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

You could always create a templete on what the feature article would contain (certain qustions on writing, and so forth), which everyone could see. Then anyone who wants to par-take in the activity could send (after its been answered/filled out) i to someone or somepace (email or something), then when time is available it could be evaluated (I mean we dont want any bad templetes send here), which after sorted could be programed to "Feature" on the site (somewhere) ramdomly... (once a week etc)

Would be safe, wouldnt need much moniting (apart from the initial read) and wa-laa

Now, do i think its cool.....I think its ego boasting to be honest... but its okay

But it wont happen ;)

10. Zelenia

Zelenia New Member

See, I was thinking alone the lines of Speedy. I don't think it would take too much monitoring.

But, eh. *shrug* It was just an idea.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't see it as something that would serve any good purpose... anyone is now able to read anything and everything that's posted here, so why 'feature' one piece of work over all the many others?...

people aren't supposed to be coming here to be applauded, or to have a chance to see their work in the spotlight for all to ooh and ah, or boo and bah at, but to be helped... and to help each other... and how would that help anyone?...

i see this as just another ego-scratcher that will hurt more members' feelings than it can possibly help anyone with anything other than a fleeting moment of 'fame'...

besides, how can the random-pickers know if the writer whose piece is picked wants it to be held up for all to see and possibly pan?

12. Zelenia

Zelenia New Member

*wonders why people keep asking questions I already answered*

They would submit them. Each person who wants to be featured would manually submit what they wanted to showcase and that submission would be put into a pool of other people who also submitted work to the Featured Writer section.

I'm doing a lot of repeating here. lol

And for those truly concerned about the randomness of the random picking, we could use a generator like this one: http://my-i-p.com/Pick_Random_Line.html

13. Speedy

Yeah but shes going over work, writing, which shouldnt be done. (t doesnt need too.

I was talking about the person etc

Which Mamma has put a good reply back too.

14. Zelenia

Zelenia New Member

I don't really get the first sentence... Maybe it's just me, but it's not making sense to me, lol.

But, eh. Like I said, it was just an idea. Because, I know that there are a lot of pieces that get, like, one or two unhelpful, five-word-long reviews and then are pushed off the front page and never seen again, regardless of their quality. I figured this idea might give some of those people a better chance at being seen.

But, again, it was just a random idea that popped into my head. It doesn't really matter to me whether it happens or not.

15. Speedy

I meant to say shes not just going over what your saying (and apperently repeating) shes giving a geniune answer to the situation (which you really cant say you have mentioned over and over).

It's good that you came up with an idea, it really i!

16. Zelenia

Zelenia New Member

Ah, I get it. No, I was just saying that she was asking questions she should already have the answers to. She asked how we would know if anyone would want their work posted...but, in earlier posts (right in the first one, actually), I had already stated my idea about the submissions. And then earlier, someone else asked how we'd choose the Features and I had already talked about my idea about that, too, in my first post. That's why I said I'm repeating myself a lot, lol. That's all. =^.^=