1. Spare Time Author

Spare Time Author New Member

I suppose I'll say hello.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Spare Time Author, Nov 22, 2013.

Hello there.

I've been a closet hobby writer for a few years now, but I've come to realize my writing is not as good as it should be. I'm a voracious reader, easily consuming three or four books a week if the mood strikes me. When I'm reading, I can identify what makes the work I'm reading good or bad writing, but I just can't seem to connect that ability to my own writing. That is to say, I'll often read a chapter I've just written and feel unsatisfied, but I can't always figure out how to fix it.

There is a novel I've been working on that I'd like to finish, more for my own satisfaction than anything else. I'm hoping to post a few excerpts for general critique, and maybe find a person or two to exchange works with. I've got about 24k words down now, and I think it'll probably be 50-60k finished. It's a YA contemporary fantasy with brother and sister protagonists displaced to another world a la C.S. Lewis. YA fantasy is a dime a dozen right now, I know, I'm sorry. Like I said, I'm writing purely for my own enjoyment, I don't have any designs on being the next Rick Riordan.

While perusing, I came across several threads that I thought would be fun to weigh in on, but I thought it would be polite to introduce myself first. So, hello and happy writing!

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the forum. :)

Please have a look through the Forum Rules, and the FAQ as a start.

Have fun! :D

Wrey

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

welcome aboard!

i don'tdo exchanges, but if having a mentor will help, drop me a line any time...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com