1. Ryan W. McClellan

Ryan W. McClellan Banned

Through Jaded Eyes (2017 Revision)

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Ryan W. McClellan, May 30, 2017.

Hey all,

I've been seeing a lot of these and I find it very interesting to keep track of your novel on a forum, updating regularly and such. Great pre-marketing tactic, I might add, so I decided I would start one of my own. Pardon me if I forget I even posted this, as I am very busy. However, for sake of sales, I will do my best!

"Through Jaded Eyes" (which has actually been on Amazon since 2014) has been undergoing some revisions. I have found a couple of alternative ways to end it, and I want to revamp some of the content, as it can get a bit confusing. The novel takes place in 2022 after an unknown paradigm shift where suddenly, the emotion of fear became a disease, and anyone expressing fear is "Sick" and is to be terminated by the organization that runs the city of New Manhattan (of which is surrounded by a giant wall).

I do explain why this happened, but to avoid giving too much of the story away without having made a revision yet, there is a witness to an atrocious crime: an explosion rocks the city and fear erupts. TRITE, the elusive organization behind "The Cure" arrives, and in the haze of chaos and upheaval, the TRITE Officers gun down a good thirty-two innocent civilians who were simply trying to save the life of the victim of the explosion.

Daniel Sathers - son of Admiral Sathers, who invented TRITE and was the initiator of the disconnection (the taming of the community like sheep to behave as zombies without emotion, the construction of a giant wall surrounding the city, and the victim of the explosion - didn't see that coming!) - witnesses the murder of a young girl who was not there during the explosion; rather, she wandered out into the street. No fear was present, but that did not stop the TRITE officers from shooting her and her mother dead.

It is then that "The Cure" dissipated and the act was declared by Daniel as simply, "murder." So, next thing you know there is blood on Daniel's hands and now he is on the run from the TRITE organization - not because he murdered three officers, but because he was the only living witness to the explosion...which was a premeditated move by Lieutenant Jameson in an effort to kill the Admiral and take his position.

The ending is where it gets good, but if you want the remainder go ahead and just buy the book on my Amazon page . For now, I'll leave this up and post my progress as I begin to renovate this thing! Thanks for taking the time to tune in, and hopefully I will remember to keep this updated.

All the best,

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014QRJ328/?tag=writingfor07a-20

How is a review from 2008 relevant - or even possible - on a book that's been on Amazon since 2014?

3. big soft moose

big soft moose The Moderating Moose Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I presume he originally published the 50 page bit he wrote in 2008 for that review (which reads very like a regurgiated press release - I won't say its a shill because "concerned consumer" does have other reviews - but its probably some kid in his high school class)

4. Ryan W. McClellan

Ryan W. McClellan Banned

Yup :) Plus I use CreateSpace which does automatic updates to the Amazon.com page for the novel, so any revision I make on the end of CreateSpace automatically updates on Amazon.com.

Good eye though!

5. Ryan W. McClellan

Ryan W. McClellan Banned

So I was on a business trip in Vegas for a while, just got back yesterday and I am still recovering from the time change. I am going to be putting some extra income (thank you, Vegas) into a PPC ad through Amazon.com as well as for my Facebook page (www.facebook.com/throughjadedeyes), which isn't much but it's going to generate at least 1-2 more sales, and that's if I really f**k up the wording of the ad! I am currently working on a fourth novel about self-publishing, as I have seen so many articles and blogs online about the topic and the info is usually outdated or makes the process sound so much simpler than it truly is.

So I decided I'd be honest and up front about the topic based on experience.
    Here's an excerpt:

SO WHY ARE YOU HERE?

I am assuming you are a writer, an author, a novelist; anyone else would be running for the hills, and without the writing community I would probably not have any resolve for doing this (though I may still get sales nonetheless if I sell them to churches or something, of whom would be buying them simply to burn). So, this is a different kind of book, and yes – you have assignments. Below should be what my graphics department illustrates once this is out of manuscript format.

I want you to write 2-3 sentences on why you picked up this book. Then, see if any of the following match up:

“I’m a new author and I want to learn how to publish my book,”

“I’m a self-published author looking for ways to market my book,”

“I’m a hobbyist writer and am not published, but plan to eventually,”

“I’m a seasoned and published author who figured it’d be a good read.”

Did I nail at least one thumbtack on the head? Why else would somebody buy a book with a title delineating self-publishing guidance? You are either a writer, someone trying to self-publish, someone trying to market a self-published book correctly, or someone just interested in a good read with a common hobby of writing. I may be wrong; you may be someone else, but the argument is pretty point-blank: the most unpredictable of scenarios balances out the fact that we are novelists, and isolation comes with the territory. This causes us to spiral into a delusive world of augmented emotion, which (and again, it is absolutely contradictory) is what drives us to write.

You see, writing is quite possibly the most unpredictable, albeit, chaotic experience you will ever have, tantamount to a Jackie Chan-style “defused the bomb just in time” real-life replication. However, the reason why writing is so exhilarating is because of said chaos and volatility. That is why we write! We are individuals who love the rush of creative perspicacity, but over my career I have begun to apprehend that we are often the most predictable people of all. That is the “paradox of publishing” ™.

I will warn you: I am no expert at self-publishing; I have never claimed that I am, nor will I ever. But I have done it and had spent 10 years simply searching for an affordable yet customizable – to the point where I could establish a really, really good presence – platform to launch with. I ended up going with CreateSpace.com, which allows you to publish for dirt cheap pricing and enables your book to be available on Amazon (as well as Kindle), Barnes & Nobles (you will only get actual shelf space if you prove to them that you are selling a lot of copies, but you are technically in their database), and about 15-20 subsidiary retail outlets. They made it amazingly easy to do, but the hardest part was not the formatting or the cover design; it was the marketing that hindered me, though that did not stop me from selling roughly 50,000 copies between all three of my published works. So, essentially, I must have done something right, yet I am not even fully aware of what that “something right” was.

So, whatever your reason for reading this book, know that by the end you will be both educated and amused; you will know the hidden secret of self-publishing; you will have good ideas and a sense of tactical procedure when promoting your book; and you will be one step closer to seeing an income stream. I cannot guarantee this, seeing as you must write a good book in order for it to sell (then again, they publish Tony Robbins’ gibberish and he’s a #1 bestseller, so anything is possible by that logic). I will also teach you just that: how to make sure your book is well-written. I cannot teach you how to be a writer, but I can beget what to do to set yourself up for success.

In other words, and all kidding aside (though believe me, I’ve got plenty more), I will be imparting my own (self-taught) knowledge to you in an effort to do for others what I wish had been done for me. I relied on haphazard blog entries when I was looking into self-publishing and they all say the same things, just worded differently. It is a rather caustic scenario: bloggers (who call themselves “writers”) plagiarize other bloggers’ ideas, wording it differently but always leading in the same direction.

In the words to come, you will be receiving the truth about self-publishing from firsthand experience, from an author who has seen a small share of success but is nowhere near satisfied.

I might as well use this thread for that one, as well, as I am spending more time on that one than "Through Jaded Eyes," though I do love being able to post progress updates on a forum. Thanks, WritingForums.org! Keep this post bookmarked or subscribed to or whatever it takes to make sure you are up-to-date on any progress (in the event that I remember to actually post...)