Tags:
  1. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Tie-Ins

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Catrin Lewis, May 20, 2018.

Got the 2018-19 season schedule for the local symphony orchestra, and saw to my great delight they're going to be performing a major work that I feature in the novel I'm about to publish.

I'm looking forward to hearing it, of course, but I can't help but wonder if I should do some sort of tie-in, and if so, how?

I mean something like getting out the word that anyone who's got a ticket for that concert can email me an image of it (with any personal data redacted) and I'll fix them up with a free or discounted copy of the book. (Of course, I'd ask separately if they wanted to be signed up for my newsletter list, per the new GDPR rules.)

Only thing is, I imagine I should get the orchestra's permission, and if so, how to go about it. Yeah, I've been a season subscriber for several years, but they're so big and I'm so small.

Oh, well. The concert's not till March 2019. I have time to think about it.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I like that idea. It's de novo so no idea if it will generate sales. It probably won't, so don't invest too much money but you never know. It's my belief that a good novel will spread word of mouth, but it still needs a few sparks.

Rather than approach asking the orchestra's permission, consider selling the idea with free book handouts to the members. Self confidence, the book promo is to their benefit rather than something you need their help and permission for. If your book is good, at least a few people in the group might like it.

If it's not good enough (based on many, not based on a few responses), don't stress, just continue writing.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

ref getting permission just write to the events organiser and ask

however I'd think carefully about the ramifications here, such as

a) making sure that it's clear that the offer only extends to ebooks

and

b) whether concert goers are the audience you want to be targeting - I'm not seeing an obvious link between concert goers and a book about architects fighting right wing inspired terrorists

4. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Ah, but they're very musical architects!