Time management

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Writer's Coin, Jun 4, 2008.

Tags:
  1. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Good Boi Contributor

That's funny.

I'm the opposite. I'd write my panties off for 27 minutes.

2. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

In retrospect, my issue came from inexperience. When I started writing, I was very excited, and I finished a handful of short stories from ideas that were already in my head. But once those ideas ran dry, I didn't understand storytelling mechanics well enough to finish anything else. I'd only taken one creative writing course, a high school one at that, and I hadn't studied the mechanics elsewhere. I didn't know how to structure a plot, develop characters, or handle pacing, so if I ever did anything right, it came from hours of inefficient trial-and-error. Some writers become very skilled through this method, but for me, it was like trying to write a C++ program without understanding how the language works. I should have given myself a break, read lots of novels, and taken a few more writing courses, or at least picked up a few books on writing form. But I'd already set some very lofty goals for myself, and I persisted in them with no training beyond what I discovered myself.

3. Fatima Saboor

Fatima Saboor New Member

I am a student, studying in 12th standard. I have recently initiated a digital magazine. I have two months before I launch the very first issue of my very first project. I am not very good at writing when I am scribbling. I consider myself a novice in writing although I have been writing for a few years now. I have written articles, essays, creative pieces and speeches. I do not write any fictional pieces. I have been a content writer for some projects. Now, I am going to start writing for my magazine. I wake up at 8 AM and go to school at 8:30. My school is 5 minutes away from my house. I come back at 1:30 , eat food, go to sleep, wake up, work on my magazine (which includes website designing, graphic designing, planing to recruit volunteers), study and sleep by 2:00 AM. I have plenty of time to write but I am always having writer block. I have not written anything for months now. I get that is why I am having trouble writing. But, can anyone tell me how to get rid of writer block? How to overcome procrastination?

4. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

ReproveTheCurlew likes this.
  5. drewelise

drewelise New Member

I found myself using the “I don’t have time" excuse a lot to avoid writing altogether simply because I was afraid. Afraid of failure. Afraid of success. In some ways I think it was also because I hadn’t fully matured and I still was attracted to the idea of being a famous, world renowned writer without doing any of the actual work.

Now I spend whatever moments I can writing. I have my important works in progress linked up with my phone so I can work on the go. With cloud tech you can virtually log in anywhere with online capabilities. Tech is GREAT for improving how accessible my writing is to me and considering my new job has a lot of down time I am able to utilize that at work as well. But I think the biggest change that I’ve seen has come from the little moleskine notebook I carry around in my bag with me wherever I go. Having it with me all the time encourages me to jot things down. I even jot everyday life things in there every once in a while just to make sure I’m using it. Since I’ve started carrying it around with me I’ve filled up three and don’t see an end in sight. I’m super picky about journals so it was honestly just a matter of finding the right one.

6. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

If you write one page a day in a year (yes you guessed it) you will have a 360 page first draft.
    As bad as I am I still write everyday. My hope is to up my skill level.
    After 100 jobs and 29 different trades I'm still trying to find out if I have a talent for anything.
    So my suggestion is to turn off all media and write at least one page a day.