1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Contributing Member

Time of day?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by JetBlackGT, Mar 18, 2013.

What time of day do you do your best writing?

I can barely text, when I first wake.

2. SwampDog

SwampDog Contributing Member

Because I've always worked watches and shifts, I could be at my best at odd ours of the day. However - all other things being equal - first thing in the morning is good for me: 7am - 10am.

3. MeganHeld

MeganHeld Senior Member

I tend to work during the day, so the afternoon-early evening are the best times for me. Early mornings rarely happen unless I have had a cup of coffee or tea to wake me up.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

any time of the day or night, since i often think of something 'in my sleep' and jot it down with the notepad and pen i keep on the bed... and when up and about, it makes no difference what time of day it is... i'm on the computer from the time i wake up till whatever hour at night that i decide to quit [usually 12-13 hours later, though i've been known to go 18-20 when on a major project], with no discernible difference in the quality of what i churn out...

5. richardclayton53

richardclayton53 Member

I often do my best writing late at night, usually between 10 and 1ish, which is pretty annoying when i have to get up early in the morning!! :confused:

6. Drstrong

Drstrong Active Member

I write, or at least write down ideas when I'm at work, which is a typical 9-5 job.

7. iolair

iolair Active Member

Judging from your sig, I guess that's down to caffeine dependency?

Recently I'm doing the majority of mine early before I start my day job, but only because that's one of the few times I can fit it in.

8. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I feel my best early in the day, so my most productive writing days are when I am home and off work but my wife and son are working. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen that often, so I still tend to do a lot of my writing late in the evening when it's quiet. Not ideal, but then I think it was Winston Churchill who said that something like 80% of the world's work is done by people not feeling their best.

9. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Contributing Member

Me too. Weekends are MINE and I press them into service for writing :)

In the early morning, I stagger around, like a zombie (shouldn't that word really be 'zomby' for singular and 'zombies' for plural?) until my first sip of coffee. Then, and only then, can I truly consider myself a candidate for the human race.