Tags:
  1. Leatherworth Featherfist

Leatherworth Featherfist New Member

What gets you off?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Leatherworth Featherfist, May 6, 2011.

What is everyone's favorite genre to write in?
    Also, what has made writing in that genre especially pleasurable to you?
    Maybe you love them all.

I especially love to write thriller stories as well as comedy. And, in my stories I usually have an aspect of "coming of age." I like writing thrillers because there is so much to explore; just like a fantasy. You can go anywhere with a thriller. I guess you could go anywhere with any type of story, but I like where thrillers can lead a reader.

As for comedy, I just like to explore ways of painting a funny picture through writing. I am considered funny in real life, but comedy seems to come across so much more clever, and sometimes clear, when I write it. Those are some reasons why I like to write what I write. I do enjoy experimenting with other genres and I will continue to do so. Who knows, maybe my favorites will change as I grow as a writer.

2. Chachi Bobinks

Chachi Bobinks New Member

My favorite is chick lit, though I do have a fantasy story that I am working on when I'm tired of being too clever.

The first time I read anything chick lit (I'm With Cupid by Diane Stingley), I felt like I was at home. I didn't know what my voice was before then. I was so lost, trying to be like... overly dramatic and extremely rich. I myself am a sarcastic, witty person so when I realized that there was an entire genre out there that was not only romantic but also incredibly smart and sharp, I was at home. What has made me so happy with it is that I can honestly write just like I think. I just have to go back and add description, make sure it flows to a certain point, etc. It just truly makes me happy. I can't wait to share some of it with you guys.

3. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe New Member

Sadly, I wish I could write comedy but I just don't feel good at it. My buddy and I are huge jokesters but most of our comedy comes from spur of the moment and quick witted rebuttals. If I actually had to sit down and write something funny I just don't think it would be any good at all.

I really love writing action of any kind. Whether it be dueling fisticuffs, a gang shoot out, or an explosive military operation, writing the details of combat makes me feel alive. As long as it has some form of action in it, I could practically write anything.

Well... Except action comedy ;(

4. MrSchofield

MrSchofield New Member

For reading, anything marketed towards teenage boys excites me. I also love a good romance novel.

I love writing stories with Female characters as the center, or gay males. I love writing the teen angst, and the dark fantasy stuff.

5. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Well I'll read anything. I mean that, anything. Kids books, YA, General, Fantasy, Chick Lit, Romance, Thriller, SciFi (though that ones kind of a last resort), shampoo bottles, Chuck Lorre's vanity cards (gotta love pause), and everything in between.

My writing is much the same. If it's in my head I'll write it. Whatever genre it ends up being is cool with me. :D

6. katica

katica New Member

*blushes at the title of this thread*

Anyway . . .

My stories usually include all or some of these things:

Fantasy, hopelessness, insane characters, erotica, paranormal, romance, horror.

That being said, I absolutely do not write for children and probably never could.

7. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

I love reading literary fiction, but it's ridiculously difficult to write it. I enjoy the fun of writing romantic suspense and crime fiction. I'm not much into graphic, but I do enjoy exploring the reasons as to why people resort to crime. I like creating sympathetic characters who, for one reason or another, end up on the wrong path.

I would not be any good at Sci Fi, but I've considered fantasy. It's a very hard genre to write however because creating an entire new world with all of its rules and interconnections is just very difficult. I also think it would be super fun to write a romance novel. I def. wouldn't be good at comedy. Things that I think are funny are usually not funny to others. I end up laughing at myself and in response I get raised eyebrows.

8. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

yeah. I thought the same thing, but chose to ignore it since everyone else was. But since you brought it up...somewhat embarrassing title to respond to... just sayin.'

9. Chachi Bobinks

Chachi Bobinks New Member

Wait, the erotica writer is blushing and I am not?! :p

10. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I think it's funny... and oddly appropriate, lol. (responding to Katica as well but it only quotes one)

@ Chachi - EXACTLY what I was thinking!

11. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

I love classics and YA. Not particular about genre, basically anything but chick-lit, though I still read some chick-lit once in a blue moon.

I've dabbled with a few different genres in my writing, but I tend to have the most fun with sci-fi/fantasy. It feels so liberating to make stuff up that could never happen. I feel too confined with reality, like I'm holding in a big fart or something.

I'm the same way. I can usually get friends and people at work to laugh, but I don't think I could ever write a comedy. I try to utilize comic relief in my books, and I think that's a better fit for me.

12. DeNile

DeNile New Member

I love the title of this topic, seriously, love it.

As for me, I like to write Fantasy of all kinds. This can range from Low Fantasy, our world with a few supernatural twists, never magic though; it goes all the way up to High Fantasy with me. That's my favourite, I love coming up with whole worlds and writing up species and creating new looking things. I create all my own species and origins, I don't like to fall back on old habits like elves and ogres. My favourite part, apart from the actual development of the story, is the world building. The history to be specific, I like figuring out how everything works and how the world got to the way it was. It's a lot of fun.

13. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

Ok, I have to admit that I like to read the Dark Hunters books. Kinda steamy.

I hope I didn't just check my man hood at the door. I will read any thing if the writing is good. Like reading Harry Potter a children's books. I can't get enough of Rowling's stuff. I can't wait until her mystery novels come out. There is also, Stephanie Myers books. She is probably one of the best writers of her time.

What am I doing I better stop while I am ahead. I need to read a James Patterson before I go to bed to get my testosterone back.

14. Sang Hee

Sang Hee New Member

I like everything that is outside of the ordinary life. I like things that are interesting and exciting therefore I prefer to stay with fantasy/sci-fi genres.

15. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

I enjoy writing GLBTQ and psychological thrillers best.

• GLBTQ (as romance/erotica or as a theme/sub-plot) because sexuality has fascinated me since I was 13/14. Not enough people write GLBTQ novels without making too much of a fuss about the character's sexuality, so I started writing a story where the MC's are in same-sex relationships but their sexuality itself is never really addressed or becomes a focus of the story. Through doing this I realised it was easier writing two men in a relationship than a man and a woman (maybe because I'm not very good with writing from a female POV) so I stuck with it.
    • Psychological thrillers are my absolute favourite to write but I don't write them often. They require more research and thinking to pull off well and sometimes the pacing throws me off. It's also my favourite genre to read and to watch as well as to write. They're exciting, make me think and they tend to produce quirky anti-heroes. Plus, it's a good way of including slightly paranormal themes into an otherwise realistic novel.
    However, my favourite stories to write combine both of the above.

16. dizzyspell

dizzyspell Active Member

I enjoy reading everything. I couldn't pick a genre I prefer, because I feel they all have something to offer me. What I read depends on my mood, and also what I'm writing at the time.

As for my writing, it used to be fantasy, with mythological themes, but I haven't touched that in the last couple of years. At the moment I'm really into writing supernatural crime/mystery/thrillers. What I really love is taking our 'real' world, making one massive change to it, and then working out all the new rules, and how that effects regular people. Plus, it really makes me think. It feels like more than writing a story. :)

17. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

I'm a huge fan of speculative fiction. I enjoy a sweeping epic fantasy, but lately I've found a penchant for urban fantasy, the dark, gritty kind. Also love YA fantasy. They're much faster reads and the themes are somewhat 'purer', if that makes any sense. But the genre I have the most success in, in terms of publishing, is medical horror though I've grown tired of that of late.

18. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Murder mysteries - although I must confess I haven't written a novel-length one yet.
    Dystopian/politicial stories - working on one right now
    Humour/satire - absolutely my cup of tea to read & I write short stories in this genre
    Song lyrics - probably my top favourite seeing I'm a musician

Good thread! :)

19. eMotive-

eMotive- New Member

Science Fiction or Fantasy.

I enjoy using conflicts as a backdrop to develop my characters, but I've dabbled a bit in romance and surreal worlds too.

20. Sundae

Sundae New Member

I don't know if I have a genre that I fit in really. I've written a lot of different things from Fantasy, sci-fi, to romance. But whatever I write, it has romance in it... so I guess romance would be it.

But... I usually like character studies. Like making a character a specific way or painting him as "recluse" and then figuring out all the things that make him tick, that make him struggle, that make him bend, that make him fall or break. Whatever I write, I aim to get to the very root of a person and that is usually played against my story outside of him so in the end, whatever conflict my character faces... he either has overcomes, changes, adapt, or go the opposite way and face the repercussions.

I like writing Satire too.

And in the last two years, I found out I'm very funny in my writing which was a surprise as I don't consider myself a funny person, though I love humor, it's one of my weaknesses and the thing that makes me fall for a guy. LOLs.