1. Kitkatz

Kitkatz New Member

Editing/Publisher/Marketing

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Kitkatz, May 1, 2011.

How do writers get themselves known and basically into a book store? Wheres the best place to find publishers and editors?

Simple question I know, but where do I start?

2. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

A simple question. . . more like a very broad question.

You start by writing a book. Then you perfect it. If you've done that, google literary agents. There are many sites which list agents and the genres they represent. Then google query letters and learn how to write one. Send your query letter to the relevant agents and if you've done a good enough job (and if you've been blessed with enough luck) an agent might offer to take on your manuscript and propose it to publishers.

Well that's the general orthodox method of handling it.

3. Kitkatz

Kitkatz New Member

Yes sorry, I just wanted to hear if it is the same process for everybody or if there are different ways of going about it.

I'm assuming in NZ that it is slightly different again because we are so small, so perhaps sourcing someone to help me would be easier...

I'm into the final chapters of my novel, and have had so many people encouraging me to get it published- it is my dream. And I figure everybody starts somewhere.

Thanks so much though for the reply :)

And I just realised that there is a whole sub-forum on here dedicated to this question. HA

:)

4. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

Yip, but you should also know that in this electronic age it doesn't really matter where you're from, you can still get an agent from New York or London (which is where most of the major publishers are) . You just correspond via email.

5. dizzyspell

dizzyspell Active Member

I'm in NZ too, hiya :)

Honestly, in my opinion, when I eventually look for an agent, I'll be looking overseas. Unless you want to be branded as NZ ficton. Been into Whitcoulls recently? Personally, I assumed it'd be harder to get an agent here. From what I've seen from my brief googling is that there are less than 10 agents in the whole country. Considering how much most people seem to get rejected, those odds don't seem too good to me.