Time Travel; When/Where?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Bobby Burrows, Nov 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bobby Burrows

Bobby Burrows Banned Contributor

I'd write a Doctor Who if we write Doctor Who does Guns N' Roses Paris 1992 if the BBC gets the rights and uses my license money to doctor the existing footage from that televised concert and, have the Doctor use that to send a message to someone he knows is watching it on bootleg their whole life...
    I'd take that job, but then they'd probably also have to hire a bunch of extras for a close up, and wardrobe would have to dress them up like Guns N' Roses fans from 1992 and film the Doctor running through this crowd of extras chasing something that the band are unaware of since it's doctored footage of their concert to look like it's all going on in the audience.

What can I say?

Doctor Who/BBC has big pockets we all pay into.
    It's the BBC/Doctor Who, hopefully GN'R might find my idea funny if they ever got asked to sign off on it... but... Yeah, BBC London's in town.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  2. Bobby Burrows

An 1980'S Brixton riot era young boy, 16, disillusioned with everything, falls back in time, hops off to America and then becomes a Cowboy?

Question...

Why not now?
    (IDK), This for some reason seems funnier to me having my time traveler start from 1980's Brixton.
    He falls back in time to 1873, Brixton, meets Van Gogh, seduces Van Gogh's girlfriend, (Vincent Van Gogh); Van Gogh gets depressed, they both leave England, and the time travel heads out west across the Atlantic because he knows what America will become with Hollywood or Elvis or whoever was cool and American from a 1980's young disillusioned Brit back then who probably didn't like Thatcher or Reagan?.. A young 16 year old fresh out of school young, angry and idealistic, tough kid, falls back in time 90 years.

3. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

He goes WITH Van Gogh? That sounds cool but quite a research project for writing around all the paradoxes. I hope you post the story or part of it here.

Bobby Burrows likes this.
  4. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

There's not a lot of choices here... A) i'm a woman and B) i'm black...... so any time period wouldnt play out well for me....

but politics aside, I really like the simplicity of the '50s and the '60s. A lot of my fiction are set in these decades. Even my space opera has elements of the 50's retro vibe. I dont have a "where" though.

I also like the romanticism and style of the Edwardian era, primarily the north-eastern US states. The Edwardian/Victorian era houses are beautiful and their clothing is wonderful too (I cant imagine what it would be like to get dressed in the morning, all those buttons....)

5. Bobby Burrows

IDK, I'm the town over, it's a local thing and this plaque that states he lived in a house that's in Brixton for a year in 1873
    [​IMG]

*I stand corrected, 1876**

But, that and... The story....

The real life story...

He came to Brixton a happy young man, and had his heart broken by the daughter of his inn keeper and got close with them and I think the inn keeper (this old lady) died or something, and he left Brixton the bitter man we all remember - I think.
    https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2014/apr/27/brixton-house-hold-key-vincent-van-gogh-london

"Brixton'll do that to you."

6. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Don't you think Van Gogh's had it rough enough as it is?

Though to be honest, If I was writing Van Gogh, I'd constantly be setting up the low hanging fruit ("friends, gentlemen, lend me your ears") and then not going for it because I'm classier than that.