Tips, Advice Appreciated! (Where and how do i learn to construct witty sentences)

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by terrylor, Jan 16, 2013.

1. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

You are correct in that "People grow up and develop their conviction over time..." The thing here is that it has more to do with breeding, life lessons, child rearing practices and general exposure to the world as well as a basic genetic predisposition to percieve and appreciate humor in general or a particular vein of humor. There are also other things at play here. Two identical twins can be brought up in the same household, by the same parents, experiencing the same things, and yet one may have an outrageously droll wit while the other is quite serious and analytical. One becomes a politician and the other a psychologist. And, still, two identical twins may be separated in infancy, raised by different parents and in a totally different environment and yet both will be crackpot, off the wall, wacky humorists or somber and serious. so what makes the difference? There is something indefinable in each of us - that fine balance between nature and nurture. But in the final analysis, however, on the question of building a sense of humor and being able to write with wit and humor, your ability to do so will always follow your natural inclinations and inherent ability to percieve and relate to that humor and put that in words on a page.

2. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

After having done my own stint as a stand-up comic (yeah, really) I think I can safely say I doubt you'll find too many comedians to agree that Humor is vague. It is rather, broad, expansive, wide open, and at the same time very specific. Anything and everything is fair game. Everything has the potential to be funny. It all depends on how you look at it. (As the recent Mayan "prediction" of the end of the world will attest, even the apocalypse can be funny in the right hands!) Btw, did you know they created a new dance for the big South American end of the world party? It's called the Apocalypso. (See? Some humor is just plain stupid.)

3. Futurist

Futurist New Member

Sorry, wrong quote

4. Futurist

Futurist New Member

You're right of course. It's my excuse for not laughing at comedy shows on TV when I think they're stupid. I have actually watched whole movies classified as comedies without cracking a smile because, to me, they were juvenile and ridiculous. On the other hand, I often laugh out loud at things that other people might not see the humor in. I'm always smiling.
    I think the best kind of humor is the ability to laugh at one's self.

5. Teodor Pravický

Teodor Pravický New Member

Well I think humor is the hardest thing to write, because you have to overcome that point first before you can write about it this way.

If you try just to copy someone else's style, it is great as an inspiration. But I think you can never get the idea from where it really came from and after a while, it gets just awkward.

The most important is the need to write this way. People who can write just joke after joke, connected together in the point and make story out of it, are just the highest level. For a start is enough to finish a chapter or dialog this way. It will come sooner or later, well I hope, I'm not so funny as I want to be ... but its getting better every second year ;)