1. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

What do you do when one MC begins dominating the scene?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Lifeline, Nov 9, 2015.

Hi there, I hope you have some thoughts to share.

During the last weeks I've been writing a whole lot and also developing my plot when my brain was overheated.
    First of all, I've two MC's. In the first three chapters they have about an equal voice, both of them sharing and being prominent in my brain. I am satisfied with the way my 3 chapters have shaped up until now (and I hope the critiques will also say that), but now when I think of the rest of the story to come, one of my MC's is really dominant. As in, I am not even sure I could write from the POV of the second MC. The problem starts after the next chapter which is so far unwritten. Whenever I think of the rest, it is the voice of only one MC I hear within.

So what do I do? Do I cull the second MC's POV and write from first perspective (and incidentally completely rewrite the first three chapters in revision 1)? Do I force myself to find the voice of the second MC - even if I thought I knew how that one would sound but was apparently wrong? I would hate to abandon some of the scenes I've written from the POV of the second MC as that was real fun :meh:

I know that the ultimate decision is mine but I would appreciate thoughts on how to go about finding out. So the question is out there. Enlighten me with your solutions ;)

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I'm not sure what POV you're writing in and I don't know the technical terms that well. Are you dipping into each of their heads during the same chapter, but dipping more into one than another?

If yes... my preference as a reader would be for you to pick one and go with it, at least for each scene or chapter. I don't like omniscient POVs in general but I dislike them even more when they 'cheat' by actually being more like close 3rd most of the time, and only dipping into another head or true omniscience when it's convenient for explaining something. It makes me feel distant from the characters and it feels like cheating. Others probably disagree.

I don't like first person POV as a writer and I'm not too fond of it as a reader. I definitely don't think you need to do it, especially if you don't want to - you can write the whole book from one character's POV in third.

I needed two POVs in my first novel - the first draft was 3rd limited to one MC, and I realised it would be a better story with the other MC's POV too. So now, in its finished form, it alternates between their POVs with each chapter - 1st is from hers, 2nd is from his, and so on. My current novel only needs one POV so it's third limited with the same MC all the way through. If I were in your shoes, I'd pick one of those strategies again.

Just please don't head hop!

Lifeline likes this.
  3. Lifeline

Hi Tenderizer, I don't like omnipresent as well so well met ;)

Now that I think about it, all my favourite novels were from one POV 3rd person. Exclusively. Oh no *sigh* :(
    have I fallen into the trap of playing Master-of-the-Universe here? o_O I must say it 'feels subtly wrong' to just do it chapter by chapter alternating.

I am waiting for a bit to think it through, I dislike making really momentous decisions on a whim. This does not invaluate what I wrote in the meantime! (I give a pep-talk to myself here!).

Any other opinions, someone?

4. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

So what's it in at the moment, if not omni or 3rd limited? Just out of curiosity. :D

5. Lifeline

I have two MC's, that means two POV (and I am writing close third person), scene by scene alternating. Which is fine and I am completely comfortable with it up till now. But .. one of them is manipulating the storyline down the road.

Oh I had just the revelation!
    There was a sentence I wrote in ch1: "I am being reassigned to keep watch on our own Master-of-the-Universe.", which was from the second POV, Styx (whose POV disappears in my head after ch4).

So, looking up on my last post I guess that Dhere (the first POV and the one who co-opts the story) only took his just due :D
    I guess Styx had it right, and just wanted to warn me what was coming! :eek:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  6. Lifeline

And I just had another revelation! What is that here, "Bruce Almighty"? ;)

I just solved why Styx POV disappears - and there is a good and valid reason for that. I can just go on writing as I have been and I will not have to change/rework the first chapters in any way! Wow, for a moment there I was real worried :eek:

I hereby declare the problem solved.

Yet, if anyone else wants to discuss this in an abstract way, I would be happy to oblige :)
    And thanks to the board for being a place to get my brain jogged!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015