Tags:
  1. T_L_K

T_L_K Senior Member

Writers' Blog Title or subtitle for my blog's 'About' section

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by T_L_K, May 22, 2019.

Hello everyone,

I was hoping a few among you would be able to offer suggestions for this.

I had this Google blog a couple of years back which I let die because I wasn't too sure what to do with it. I've now actually purchased the domain name I was using with blogger, and I'm about ready to launch (which in my case could mean next week as well as it could mean at the end of the year). Every detail about it matters to me.

After initially thinking I'd include nothing like an 'About' section, I thought, putting myself in the shoes of the readers, that it would really add to it. I think if I was to come across a writer's blog whose work I like (which is obviously the goal of putting my stuff out there), I'd love to know a bit about what the person is actually like. So then, I'll be including an 'About' section. Rather than a paragraph or two about 'who I am', which idea repels me a little, I've decided to use this http://www.lovewritinglife.com/author-interview-questions/ (I'm obviously not including all the questions) as a means to be known by my readers. But I'd like to title the page, or at least subtitle it, something other than 'About' or 'About me/the author'. I'm sure there are things that could work well but I can't seem to come up with any at the minute.

Your help would be so appreciated.

2. Damage718

Damage718 Senior Member

Typically, the About (the author/Us/Me) page should be just that - about you or who's site the visitor is on. That's true in marketing and for general user experience. Using interview questions is a unique approach, but I think you should also include something about you - your writing history, interests, hobbies, career, etc. Anything that you feel pertinent that your audience will want to know or connect with.

Remember, you can always edit your About page at any time too. In fact, I should do that for my own sites :cool:

3. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Neither will the people who do a Google search. So for SEO (Search Engine Optimization) purposes, keeping it to "About" or"About Me" or "About the Author" works best. The goal is to title it the same as what someone would type into a search engine alongside your name or book title. If it's too obscure, your Google ranking won't be as high = less readership. For the most part, search engine algorithms are simple, unimaginative, and have poor vocabularies.

T_L_K and Some Guy like this.
  4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I read your "about me" page, and I suggest keeping it way more professional. You mention having credits, but you don't list them. It just doesn't read like the about me section of a professional writer. And I'm guessing you want to attract people to read your blog and your writing, but it doesn't even sound like you take it all that seriously. I don't think you have to come up with a creative title, but I do think you need to redo that page. Also, who wants to read through 100 questions? I guess it's a little hard to tell what you're trying to do with this and the direction you want to take it.

T_L_K likes this.
  5. T_L_K

T_L_K Senior Member

Hi deadrats - thanks for the input, but I'm a little confused. You read my "about me" page? I think I probably didn't make it clear. I've not included any link to my actual blog - it's in the making and isn't live yet. I'm using this (which I found online) as a template for what I want to make my 'About' page, and as I wrote in my initial post I won't be including all the questions, only those I think are most pertinent. From what I've seen elsewhere I believe this list a thorough compilation of questions for authors available out there.

I don't at this point see my blog as a way to opening the way for me to become a professional, published writer. What I want for the time being is to share what I've been writing about with people who I think might be interested in reading the sort of things I write. I'm not going after publishers, not for now. So I may not be taking it seriously in that sense. The reason I'm not sure when I'll be ready to actually publish is that I don't at this stage have enough finished material that I'm totally happy with to actually start the blog and keep it going. At the moment I'm trying to develop the concept for my blog, and yes, to see where I want to take it.

6. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Contributor Contributor

If your blog isn't a serious one, feel free to have a little fun with the 'about' page. Corporate style, dull and lifeless formats are going out of fashion very quickly.
    Just remember, the 'about me' page (or whatever you decide to call it) is often one of the most read pages on ANY blog - readers want to know the man behind the curtain - so make it as interesting as you possibly can.

NC

7. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

What's wrong with About Me? It's no good trying to be too creative sometimes. Self-explanatory, when it comes to website navigation, is a good thing. I don't wanna be clicking around for 10 minutes wondering where's the About Me section just to find it's hidden under something creative like, "Why don't I like hamburgers?"

Although of course, if there was one such tab, I'd probably click on it, but then I might be rather disappointed that it's not gonna answer the question :D

But something else other than About Me huh?

Self-Explanation
    Introduction
    Author's Interview
    Stand Up
    Take the Mic
    Let's Talk About Me

Or perhaps simply entitle it with your name? Tommy Robinson.

T_L_K and jannert like this.
  8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Oh no, not Tommy Robinson. BAD choice! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Robinson_(activist)

T_L_K likes this.
  9. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Gosh. Yeah the name just popped into my head and I didn't even know why. Well it's likely I've heard of him in the news then!

10. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

He's in the news for being a fascist and a racist—and he's proud of it. :eek:

Mckk likes this.
  11. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

he could use a pen name - prefferably not stephen yaxley lennon :D

jannert likes this.