1. ZoeDT86

ZoeDT86 New Member

Social Media Marketing.

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by ZoeDT86, Feb 25, 2019.

I don't know if anyone else has this problem but I am what you would call a wallflower on the internet (someone who is on social media a lot but never really gets a following).
    As far as I'm aware, I'm not rude or anything. If this was any other situation, I wouldn't be too bothered but when it comes to trying to promote my new book, it becomes a big problem.
    I had been on Twitter and Instagram for years under an fake name but when my book was released, I created new accounts with my actual name in a effort to advertise.
    Anyone got advise for this wallflower? I do use hashtags and tag certain people, but nothing works, what am I doing wrong?

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

social media isn't great for organic sales -its better for keeping in touch with existing readers. If you want to advertersise I'd advise using the actual advertising services on amazon and facebook (twitter ads are a bit of a dead loss)

Shenanigator likes this.
  3. Partridge

Partridge Senior Member

Head over to Self Publishing Formula's site: they have some very good, clear and informative (and totally free) ebooks available for download.

4. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

I recommend an author's page on facebook, and if you have more than one book, a brand page for each. See https://www.facebook.com/LewisMcIntyreAuthor/, https://www.facebook.com/TheEagleAndTheDragon/, https://www.facebook.com/ComeFollowMePilateAndJesus/. These have worked for me. Notice you can start some blog-like groups on pages which can help attract follows. Once those are set up, check out boosted posts. Pay a reasonable amount of money, select your audience and time period, and let your post reach them as a sponsored ad, hitting thousands + people you do not know. The latter is the critical part of a successful marketing. Trying to expand your following is going to sell just dozens of books per year, you have to reach people who have never heard of you or your book and sell to them. As to Twitter or Instagram, I do not understand them at all or use them, though some of my boosts FB sends to those channels.

Good luck!

Shenanigator and MarcT like this.
  5. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

You've got some fabulous reviews on Amazon @Lew , congratualtions!
    Your advice is spot on, and with social media one has to be self promoting quite rigorously, then keep on top of it almost on a daily basis, unless the momentum stops and it goes stale.
    I'm not a massive fan of social media, but recognise all of its potential and you really can't afford to be a wallflower. You have to be quite brazen, actually, especially since we self published authors don't have the luxury of publicists.
    I personally don't much like the sound bite flavour of Twitter one bit and I only opened an account purely for marketing purposes. It's another free of charge string to your bow, if you like.
    Now I'm off to create a hashtag.

Shenanigator and Cave Troll like this.
  6. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I am working towards using Youtube as a marketing venue. :)
    Seems to work for all the other authors that primarily self-pub. :p

MarcT likes this.
  7. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

In what way do you use YouTube as a marketing venue?
    I'm curious. Do you read excerpts from the book?

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I might, but I have another idea to discuss writing (mainly the things no one else is talking about),
    but are still pretty valid to the process. All while avoiding making numbered lists of things.
    Just need to cobble a starting point together and get it out there.

MarcT likes this.