1. pkwrite78

pkwrite78 New Member

research, how?

Discussion in 'Research' started by pkwrite78, Mar 1, 2013.

wondering about the research that one has to do before actually writing about a topic, subject, I am no expert in any field, but want to share some info I gather, research on the net, and express my opinions etc kind of, so how to go about researching a particular subject?

Lets say, I want to write about travelling? now how should I research travel, for articles to write, for blog to design etc?

2. summerrain

summerrain Member

writing about traveling or other places

I would begin in watching travelogues. Then I'd ask friends who have traveled what their experiences were, bad or good. Do you know any foreigners? They're more than willing to talk about the place they came from, the food, living conditions etc if you're stuck in your story. And then there's the movies. If you can ever swing it- a cruise is the best way to see several countries in one trip. Good luck to you.

3. Sanjuricus

Sanjuricus Active Member

...and of course, the best way to research travel is to travel!
    In many areas, the best way to research is to do. It's not always possible to do but where it is possible, do it!

Want to research martial arts? You can read about it all you want, watch all the videos you want but ultimately you'd learn more from doing.

Want to research quantum string theory? Read about it unless you have a spare few billion to build the next LHC!!!

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Normally, I would say you could find most information needed on the internet (info sites, blogs, connecting with people, etc) or the library. But that's for fiction. Nonfiction - especially something like travel - requires more than that, imho. Why would I read a blog or article about traveling by someone who hasn't been there, done that? Something like that requires expertise/experience/credentials. Otherwise you're just regurgitating what other people have written, and your opinions won't have much credence. Even giving reviews of what other people have written requires some level of expertise in the subject or it's just another Joe Blow voicing an opinion.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that, sw!