1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. Kefa

Kefa New Member

To Be a Daughter: It Begins, Comeback!

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Kefa, Jan 9, 2017.

Here I am, again, after two finished manuscripts. I have been really busy with writing those two pieces, and although they met their unfortunate demise at the hands of the publishing houses, I have not given up! My fourth manuscript is now in the making.

The second manuscript (a novella) and the third one (a novel) both got some feedback from the publishers. I got praised for prose and unique ideas, but got rejected based on marketing. The second one being a novella and part of a uncommon genre in a Finnish publishing landscape, the third for some unknown reason (one publisher had too many books coming out of the same genre).

So here I am. The fourth one is almost halfway there. My resolution for the 2017 is to finish at least two manuscripts, and write at least a few short stories.

You see, I'm not very "adept" at making short stories. My stories usually end up being at least novellas, so I haven't actually written a short story in a long time. I'm pretty sure it's been over a year.

This Progress Journal is mostly meant for those few short stories I have made a pledge to write and finish. The first one being a science fiction story about being a daughter and at the same time being not. I hope to get it done and edited before the end of February.

2. Kefa

Kefa New Member

And just when I had just said that I would use this Journal to journal (get it?) at least a few short stories, that one idea I had just gained some weight and became a novella. Again!

And it just happens that I got ideas for two other novellas based on the same theme. So here I am, plotting the three novella collection.

Oh, and guess what? It seems my fourth manuscript for teenagers (YA) just devolved from a novel to novella. I put all my strength to making the first story arc as good as possible and will then sell it as a two-parter. That will harm my chances at getting it published, but at around 150-160 pages it may just be long enough to cross the magical barrier of risky endeavor, at least here in Finland.