1. aClem

aClem Active Member

Constructive Critiques: How does one get counted?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by aClem, Dec 26, 2013.

I'm a little over two weeks here and thought I did several 'constructive critiques' but apparently I have not. I have read what constitutes a 'constructive critique' as far as what it should be. What I don't understand is how one gets credit for doing one, since I need two official constructive critiques to post any of my own work. Basically, I would like to know how to know if a critique I do will be or has been officially deemed a constructive critique and counted toward the 2 necessary to post something of my own in the workshop. In short, how does a critique become official?

Thanks.

2. aClem

aClem Active Member

Somehow I acquired the magic formula and was able to post my work in the workshop. So I guess my reviews did get counted after a bit of a lag. I will keep doing what I think are constructive critiques and hope I'm not screwing it up.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Just to clear up any confusion. We don't manually tally and qualify the critiques. There's a little gremlin glitch running through the platform that's intermittent, thus difficult to pin down. You may well experience the same thing in the future until we get the issue resolved. If you do, we haven't removed your privileges, though the error you will get says something to the effect of not having privileges, it's just the glitch. If it happens and you know that your critiques are in line, just PM a mod, we can help you out.

4. aClem

aClem Active Member

Gracias, sir!

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

What CAN happen is that if you post obviously dashed off replies in critique that make no attempt to be constructive, a moderator can lock your critique thread to prevent any responses until you put in an acceptable effort.

People do abuse the system from time to time, and it benefits no one. The rules include a human element to deter such nonsense.

6. aClem

aClem Active Member

So if one of my critiques has fallen short of the mark and not counted, it will be locked? No need to answer, that was rhetorical. I'll check to see if that is the case for any or all of my critiques.

7. Wreybies

Your critiques are fine, aClem. Do try and stick to the piece at hand, though. It's perfectly fine to reference other published works in your critique to explain, augment or give a well known example of something, but not to stray into personal conversations with the OP. That's what the rest of the forum is for, that's why it's there. Also, there should be no media in the Workshop. No video links and such-like things.

8. aClem

aClem Active Member

Okay, I really didn't intend for the clip to show up there, just the link in case the writer was interested. But I'll try to stay more on topic. Thanks.

9. RaeRae

RaeRae Member

Jeez, I feel lost now myself. I guess I better go read the rules again. I have no idea if I can post my stuff in the workshop of not. I have beta readers so never thought to use the workshop for critique. :p

10. Wreybies

Your reqs look to be in line, @RaeRae, and I've already scanned the two critiques you recently did. You should be good to go. ;)

11. Wynter

Wynter Active Member

Edit: Wrong Thread, sorry guys