1. Fiona

Fiona New Member

To fans of horror/dark fiction - what are your favourites?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Fiona, Jan 5, 2011.

I make no secret of the fact that my favourite books are horror/paranormal stories. I just enjoy anything that is dark or eerie, so getting stuck into a good scary book is great for me.

I wondered if there are any other big fans of horror here, and if so, what are your favourite books?

Here is a list of my favourites - in no particular order:

* The Exorcist
    * Nightfall
    * The Woman In Black
    * Pet Semetary
    * Shining
    * The Absence
    * Apartment 16
    * Apartment 14F
    * The Dark Sacrament

I'd love to know what your favourites are, and also if you have any recommendations :)

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Books by Caitlin R. Kiernan are good ones to add to the list. I think her most recent is The Red Tree.

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Whilst I have read others none have beaten the first I read - The Hound of Death by Agatha Christie. Also love Wilkie Collins. Although the novel isn't horror there are elements of Jane Eyre that really terrified me the Red Room and the elements with Rochester's wife.

4. Cynglen

Cynglen Member

While I wouldn't call myself much of a fan of horror/paranormal works, one book I would call "dark" that I love is "Ethan Frome" by Edith Wharton. Yeah it was assigned in highschool, but I still thought the whole story was very interesting and it definitely one of the darker books I've read.

"Heart of Darkness" is also one of my all-time favorites, though I wouldn't say it's quite as dark as Frome or any of the books mentioned above.

5. Doctor Tao

Doctor Tao New Member

Myself, I would have to say that two authors stand out in my mind. And both of them can scare the crap out of me.

Robert E. Howard - Cthulhu: The mythos and kindred horrors. Robert E. Howard knows how to scare you (gave me nightmares for almost a month when I was younger).

Clive Barker - The Great and Secret Show / Everville. Fantastic story telling and creepy stuff that really makes you think. Weaveworld is another great story as well.

6. Doctor Tao

Doctor Tao New Member

Skip and Spector (Jon Skip and Craig Spector) write some pretty chilling stuff as well.

7. Midnight Pete

Midnight Pete New Member

I am fascinated by the dark stuff, which is why I read the stories of H.P. Lovecraft plus whatever else I can find online. But I am not a morbid person. I am not a razorblade-licking Goth. I am a Christian and as such I will always seek the light instead of the darkness, spiritually speaking. And yet the book covers in the Horror section at Chapters have always intrigued me.

Warning to myself: When you stare into the abyss the abyss stares into you.

8. Vintage

Vintage New Member

What? Are you implying that you are going to Hell for even as much as looking at horror fiction? I'm not a Christian myself, but I doubt that is how it works, except in Chick Tracts.

Anyways, the aforementioned Lovecraft. His works have a certain quality to them, that I think are simply impossible to truly replicate. They are something that any fan of litterature should really give at least a glance.

9. Midnight Pete

Midnight Pete New Member

Certainly not! But the Dark Side is extremely seductive ...

I agree! But Lovecraft is not for everybody.

10. KrisG

KrisG New Member

I've no fear about going to hell from reading horror, because I do not believe in God, but let's not get into that, I get into long-winded discussions about it all too often :|

IS Lovecraft good? I am a fan of horror, but somehow his work has just never appealed to me, although I've never fully gave it a chance.

11. Kevin B

Kevin B New Member

Now you've opened up a question that I probably write for hours about. Instead of listing book titles (because this would suddenly turn into a multiple page post, just from my post), I'm going to list authors. The first handful of authors will make you realize why I'm not listing titles, because I like most of what they have written.

Stephen King
    Dean Koontz
    Bentley Little
    Richard Laymon
    Clive Barker
    Ray Bradbury
    Douglas Clegg
    Edgar Allen Poe
    Brian Keene
    Joe R Lansdale
    H P Lovecraft
    Brian Lumley
    Richard Matheson
    Peter Straub
    H G Wells
    Brandon Massey
    Gary A Braunbeck
    Scott Nicholson
    Poppy Z Brite
    Tamara Thorne
    John Saul
    Skip & Spector
    John Paul Allen
    Brett McBean
    Tom Giglio

Should I go on? :D

I think that's enough for now, but I can't leave out my favorite new author....

Terry Durbin.

12. Midnight Pete

Midnight Pete New Member

Lovecraft is very good indeed, but only if his work appeals to you. :D

13. Terry D

Terry D Active Member

Since reading Stoker's, Dracula at age nine, I've been a horror fan. Here is a list of my favorites, roughly in order (that could change by tomorrow);

'Salem's Lot Stephen King
    Summer of Night Dan Simmons
    They Thirst Rober R. McCammon
    The Shining King
    Collected works of E.A. Poe
    The Bad Place Dean Koontz
    The Doll Who Ate His Mother Ramsey Campbell
    Watchers Koontz
    Swan Song McCammon
    Carrion Comfort Simmons

Thanks, Kevin you're shameless!

14. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Ah, yes....Campbell. Good choice!

15. otakootie

otakootie New Member

...Ha.
    Oh, honey, you're so confused. Branch out a little, eh? And don't be so stereotypical, please.
    I'm sure there is nothing in your religion that's against reading a good book every now and again. If horror is what you're interested in, check it out. Reading a book is a far cry from summoning demons to eat your unborn children while you dance around naked in the middle of the woods after having a blood orgy. I promise.

16. otakootie

otakootie New Member

THIS.
    Poppy is amazing.
    Though not everything she's written has been horror.
    I'd suggest starting with Drawing Blood, then, perhaps, Lost Souls, and then Exquisite Corpse. However, that last one takes a special kind of person to appreciate its beauty. There are more, of course, but that would be a little unnecessary.
    I don't know how scary her books are though, really. They're good. They're horror. They're gripping. But... scary? I don't know. It's the closest I've ever gotten to being scared by a novel, but not quite there.

If you want to REALLY get scared, I can hook you up with that.
    I don't know if you've ever heard the term, but creepypasta is brilliant for a good scare. If you haven't, its basically... Short stories that are really scary. Like, don't-sleep-for-2-nights kinda scary. Coming from someone who laughed in the face of paranormal activity.

Its not published anywhere though, just sent around online, so, yeah. Send me a PM or something if you're interested. =)

17. Rainer

Rainer Member

Ha, I've been published on creepypasta, although recently it's been diluted down with a load of garbage. I also once got rejected for being 'too dark' which was easily a highlight in my career.

Anyway if you want something that's going to freak you out and make you question if your life is really worth living, get any collection by Thomas Ligotti. I'm currently reading one of his books now, and there was a story in one about a deformed man who was buried alive it's the best thing I've ever read.

18. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

H.P. Lovecraft rocks. I love his story "The Beast in the Cave." The ending is deliciously disturbing and the questions it raises could be turned into a new horror story in itself.

EDIT: "The Return" by Bentley Little needs to be on this list.

19. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

The Shining was creepy as hell. That tops my list. Stephen King at his best.

20. Dandroid

Dandroid New Member

House of Leaves gets uncomfortably creepy after a while...creepy in that you periodically glance around at a noise you're sure you just heard...or at the shadow you were certain flitted at the periphery of your vision...

Lovecraft is good but i have always found that either the story is awesome but the monster dumb....or the monster is awesome and the story weak...at the Mountains of Madness seems to avoid this trend...architecture is eerie...

21. afrodite7

afrodite7 New Member

no,lovecraft has very racist subtext in his work.

i like:

the exorcist
    lost boys(only the first one)
    flowers in the attic

also,goths don't lick razor blades more than anyone else.

they just look scary,and like creepy things and admit to it.