Tags:
  1. Stammis

Stammis Banned

Fantasy names

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Stammis, Jul 15, 2016.

Do you guys think that characters in fantasy stories should have names that sounds fantastic? or do you prefer for them to have somewhat regular names? such as Henry, or Baxter?

I'm terrible at coming up with names and I often lean towards the latter, but I sometimes use completely made up names as well, such as Korey.

Seraph751 likes this.
  2. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Well, I think that depends. If you have an island that floats in the clouds and everyone glows bright purple and eats moonseeds, I'd find the name Henry out of place.

But if you have a somewhat normal setting, with water wheels and cobbled streets and horses pulling carts, I think J'qendar Vlokmir might be a little strange.

ETA: Actually, J'qendar Vlokmir is a pretty bitchin' name.....

3. Stammis

Stammis Banned

See, why can't I come up with such names? I even used name generators for the longest time because I could only come up with names like Fendrael...

But I see your point. It is not quite that fantastic and is more akin to 18th century and medieval western society. Even though it has nothing to do with those time periods.

I'm asking because I'm about to serialise a short story that is called "Baxter Henferd's Journal - New Hope" and I think it sounds a bit too regular.

4. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Well, what I tend to do is browse baby name sites. I make a list of every name I like (I have about three notebook pages of them) then designate them as I see fit.

Personally, I like the name Baxter! It's unique and not commonly used. I just don't really like Hensferd -- it does sound a little regular. Maybe just changing that would help. Hennis maybe? Halford?

I.A. By the Barn and Oscar Leigh like this.
  5. Stammis

Stammis Banned

Not a bad idea, what about Helbard? Kind of a play on word for the weapon Halberd

Seraph751 likes this.
  6. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

I have recommended this site before but I will again; 'Behind the Name' is my favourite site for names as you can trace where from and what the name means. I just love it. Like @Lea`Brooks I have a notebook full of names for every situation!

Stammis likes this.
  7. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

And here I though Helbard would imply that he was from a long line of people who recited naughty poetry.

8. IituRSI

IituRSI New Member

I sometimes use google translate, I have a charater named Vasha, which means white but I can't recall in what language. Also, if I make a typo, sometimes it can make a pretty good name. Pretty rarely, though. In fantasy these kinds of names work fine

9. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

I typically assign real world languages to cultures in my world. So one set of people have German inspired personal and place names, while another has Ethiopian, and so on.

10. IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName Senior Member Community Volunteer

Same here. Fantasynamegenerators.com comes in really handy in that regard. Also, check some of the scifi sections on that site - I'm using several from the Star Wars sections.

11. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

It depends. One of my character's is named Red. That's it, just Red. She is know as the Girl in the Red Cloak for a trailing name/title/however you would phrase that. However at the same time you can have a kickass beast named an incredibly ordinary even bland name. The humor behind that contrast is classic in my opinion. Not to mention the awkwardness that produces can create fodder for various situations. Names for me, have power.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  12. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

I have a simple test for any name. Could you picture a mother shouting it in full in an angry tone. It sorts things out remarkably easily.

13. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Oh, that is beautiful :p

halisme and Cave Troll like this.
  14. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

"Henry! Get away from the cloud machine and finish your moonseeds!

Sniam likes this.
  15. Lyrical

Lyrical Frumious Bandersnatch

I'm struggling a little in this area myself right now. My culture is one that gestures at Native American culture, particularly the ancient Anasazis. However, they are not Anasazi - they aren't anything real from history. So I'm struggling with names, because I don't want to use real Pueblo, Navajo, or Hopi names, but anything I try to come up with myself falls flat. I've toyed with some generators, but almost all of them sound too European. Struggles.

16. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

Perhaps you could look at Native names, then tinker with the sounds a little. That can give the impression of related but distinct.

Lyrical likes this.
  17. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    You created a made up construct, so a name should not be that complex. I have many in my Sci-fi story(s). Dlynvacko, Kionxxia, and even Graxis (surprisingly not taken), Janxica, Sa'Bork, and so on. Just let it flow man, and the rest of the pieces fall into place. Just play around with the letters until something pleases the ear. hell even just adding an extra letter to an existing name can make a difference. I did it with one of my MCs, Marckus. Not that complicated really. :p

Just aim for more of an ancient feel to it, and the cat is in the bag (so to speak). Generators are a cop-out. :p

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  18. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Indeed. A friend of mine is named Gwen. Not short for Gwendolyn, but Gwendolynne. Seeing her name written out always makes me think of princesses with pointy hats, or however Terry Pratchett put it.

Seraph751 likes this.
  19. Gadock

Gadock Active Member

Basically what @Lea'Brooks says, it all about the settings. Then for coming up with names, I'd like to picture what country comes closest to of your fantasy world. With that you can use old or ancient names, and those are often meanings of more awesome things. What I've got are Briogo and Hiarra, which is old english for Lord and Lady, or so I believe :p