1. Defender

Defender New Member

Need help developing history and details of cyborg aliens

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Defender, Feb 8, 2016.

Hi everyone, so I'm writing a story about a post war when humanity has been nearly obliterated thanks to a civil war and the accidental activation of a warp gate allowing robotic aliens to enter our galaxy and claim much of our worlds I call them Perverted for now but would like to give them a name and history any suggestion or ideas, from any of you experienced writer? Would appreciate any help, thanks!

2. Defender

Defender New Member

okay figured out that they come from another time and other planets, but something corrupted them, but im not sure what made them go rampant, if anyone has any ideas?

3. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

Develop them by writing scenes that include the aliens. Their reactions and interactions should help you brainstorm. You don't have to know every detail about their history, just don't make their actions contradictory or baseless.

If you look at Alien as a movie without the rest of the franchise, it was able to convey an indestructible species that has the potential to cut a huge chunk of humanity's population without going into every detail about their history or why the xenomorphs do what they do.

Sometimes a bit of mystery without extensive explanation does better than having to justify or logic out every single aspect.
    Like the video game Mass Effect 1--the Reapers were an old race. We didn't know how they worked, or their end game goal was, and actually as the game tried to shed light on some things, it bungled the story. It is a careful balance.

Also, read novels that use storytelling techniques you seek. Then just write. Then read some more. And write some more. And on and on.

Welcome to the forums, by the way :-D !

Matt E likes this.
  4. Defender

Defender New Member

That is some sound advice, thanks, I'll take it, and its great to be here

5. Defender

Defender New Member

Also how about history in terms of their name, because in the story, they are let into our galaxy thanks to humans activating a device that opened a portal to another realm , what is the realm, and what is their name? Or should I leave all that a mystery to?

6. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

They're cyborg, right? And they kind of flooded into the galaxy like a flood, though that has been used by Halo. How did they wipe out humanity? Was it just humanity or sentient life? Maybe their name can come from how this happened.

I'm sure they call themselves something, but their victims may not know their species from their POV. Thus a common name.

On the other hand, they can be like Daleks from Doctor Who, which don't let their victims forget that they are the Daleks, a superior being in their opinion. It honestly depends on their motivation for entering our universe. Is it routine, a scheduled culling? Has it been planned for eons? Or are they a race whose own universe is ending and they are taking advantage of a miracle? Or are they mindless and are just like fish following a source of light?

You could make a play on tech and flooding with the word torrent or something?

7. Defender

Defender New Member

yes they are cyborg, a mix between robots with a high level of sentience, they had very advanced technology, and were slightly rudimentary, if that is the word, and...hey..... you might have something, i really dont know why they are attacking, but they are attacking for a reason unknown to humans, , they have taken over human abandon planets, maybe.... could i use that concept of them fleeing to our galaxy?

8. Defender

Defender New Member

also are you a halo fan too?