1. Elena Liliana Tanase

Elena Liliana Tanase New Member

Traditional Looking for an agent

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Elena Liliana Tanase, Mar 14, 2016.

Hello,

Thanks for your help, in advance.
    I wrote a book about corruption in Romania, it is in Romanian language. It is my first book, a novel.
    If you could help me with an advice about publishing this book, what that would be?

Have a nice day!

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I assume you'll base your publishing in Romania...

It might make sense to go to a Romanian bookstore and browse for books that are similar to yours, then look to see who published them. You may also be able to find who the authors' agents are (assuming agents are common in Romanian publishing) either by reading the acknowledgements (assuming Romanian books have those) or by Googling the authors.

Elena Liliana Tanase likes this.
  3. Elena Liliana Tanase

Hi, thank you. We do not have literary agents in Romania or maybe I do not know.
    But I can manage the publishing home, I was wondering if there is an agent to work with writers of non English language creations, for publishing. For example, there are many comunities of romanians abroad, all over the world.
    So, I am looking for an agent outside my country for a not english language creation. I think they must be....

4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I would imagine you'd still be best off going through Romanian publishers, and just looking for ones that have international distribution?

Maybe you could ask someone you know who lives abroad where they buy their Romanian-language books, and follow up from that direction?

5. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

An agent will need to read your manuscript before deciding if they can represent you, and if they do they'll need to send it to an editor who can read it and decide whether to buy it. I think the odds of finding a non-Romanian agent who can read Romanian novels, and who has editor contacts who can also read Romanian, are very slim.

Generally, agents in English-speaking countries will have connections to agents or publishers in other countries who'll buy the Romanian (etc) rights and translate the book for sale in other countries. They wouldn't take on a Romanian novel and then try to sell it back to Romania.

6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

7. Elena Liliana Tanase

Thank you all for your help.
    I intend to sell it internationally, I thought I said this. Of course, in my country is not a problem finding somebody to publish it.

So, if you can help with contacts list from agents, not romanian, I can manage from there with reading and translation and so on...
    Thank you.
    Have a nice day!

8. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Your best bet is to sign with a Romanian agent who works with co-agents in other countries for foreign rights. Otherwise you'll need to pay to have the novel professionally translated to English first and then hope to get a foreign agent, with no guarantee that you'll get any of your money back.

Anyway, to find English-speaking agents, the best resource in my opinion is www.querytracker.net. You can search for agents who are open to email queries and represent your genre. I don't recommend you query agents from the UK, because most of them seem reluctant to sign foreign authors. US agents are much more open to it. My agent is based in the US, and so is @BayView's, even though neither of us live in the US ourselves.

9. Elena Liliana Tanase

Thank you very much, Tenderiser.
    You are a real help for me and maybe for other people like me who are reading your advice now. And of course, your colleagues advices above this.
    I will do this.

I wish you all a great day for writing!

Thanks.