1. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Novel First Timer

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Cowgirl, Feb 27, 2012.

Hi! I am new to the site, and new to writing.

Have been toying with the idea of writing a novel for several years. I have a basic plot, and three of the MCs.

MC#1 is a late twenties woman who is just beginning to find her place in the world of Reining horses. She has been an assistant most of her life and finally decided to step out on her own. She has been dating MC#2 for 3 years, and to the outside world they have the perfect relationship. Few realize that #1 is not only trying to make her name big in the huge world of Reining, but also figure out where things are headed with #2.

MC#2 is a city guy who knows nothing of horses, but loves MC#1 with everything he has.

MC#3 is an old flame of #1. Their relationship was everything she had dreamed of, but things ended VERY badly between the two of them, they literally bump into each other at a show 4 years later and flames ignite between them again.

Leading to #1 having to make the ultimate choice, security or passion.

Guess my question is where do I get started.

Do I start with a date night between #1 and #2 or do I start with just #1 in the barn with the horse she has all of her dreams and hopes (excuse the pun) riding on, or do I start at the show where #1 and #3 literally bump into each other, and then introduce #2 slowly?

I know that this might seem... Childish to many of you advanced authors, but it has special meaning to me.

Thank you for any and all comments and suggestions.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Start where you feel the story should begin. If you find later that your beginning is moving to slowly, you can remove the beginning and make the story start where things are really picking up.

First drafts are meant to be reworked. After you'v e written a few stories, you'll have a better feeling for where the story should start on the first try. Until then, don't worry about it.

3. Rebel Yellow

Rebel Yellow Active Member

I second Cogito, at this point you should just write what feels right to you. Whem rewriting, you will get a better idea of what serves the story better.

4. dred

dred New Member

Really the best you can do, is write. Just right what you think, what you feel and even if you wish to write events the occur later in the story, then do. First drafts go through a lot of overhaul before release.

I don't get writers block, because I just write and edit later, taking out bits that conflict or adapting them. Its your story so write where you feel would be best and then you can write around it.

5. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

Ditto all the above. If you have inspiration for any or all of these scenes, write them. If one grabs you more than the others then maybe that would be a good place to start the novel. Or maybe you'll get an even better idea while writing it. But sitting there not starting because you don't know where to begin is really not getting you anywhere, is it?

I also agree with what Cogito said about people often realising they started in the wrong palce - this happens all the time, to me as well. You sometimes realise you went back too far before the really interesting part of the story gets going, so you need to ditch a load of boring set up and get to the conflict quicker.

Conflict is ALWAYS a good place to start, so how about starting with her meeting the old flame - if things ended badly and meeting him throws her perfect life out of balance, then that's instant conflict. If she meets him at a show where he is actively competing AGAINST her and therefore threatening her professional dreanms as well as her personal life, even better :)

6. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

By the way, I am already rooting for her to go back to the bad boy who broke her heart - perfect relationship with boring city boy versus fiery passion-fest with a cowboy?

No contest :D

7. Phoenix Hikari

Phoenix Hikari New Member

That's not nice, City boy does love her with all his heart. :p

Anyway, I agree with all the posts above me. Just start, if you feel after a chapter that you started at the wrong place, go back and start from a different place and see if it works better. For my first story, I had like 5 beginnings each with a whole chapter, simply because I couldn't make up my mind and start at a specific point.

There's nothing wrong with experimenting. The more you experiment, the more you get involved with your characters and plot which makes it much easier to write. Do what feels right at the moment and worry about getting it perfect later.

8. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

Yeah, but nice guys finish last :D

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

double ditto the ditto on 'all of the above'!

10. A.L.Mitchell

A.L.Mitchell Active Member

Ditto with everyone else. When you think is the best place to start; I like the idea of the #1 story best.

11. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Fortunately, or unfortunately, I am as close to this story as it gets, if y'all understand my drift.

I am seriously thinking it needs to start when MC1 and MC3 literally bump into each other at a horse sale, 4 years after their break up. My only draw back, is that I am not sure that how to effectively explain how badly MC3 destroyed her. Do I let her be a total b*tch to him, or more scared to death of him?

Sorry for sounding so confused and unsure of myself. I know the middle and end, it's just the beginning that I am having issues with. Just not sure how I want to get it all rolling and it not be obvious who she winds up with.

12. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

Autobiographical, perchance...? ;-)

Depends on her character, on the way she deals with things, and on how 'mended' she is now. I have a tendency to just cut people off when they've hurt me - they can be as sweet and apologetic as they like, I will not speak to them. If I see them in the street, I will blank them. It's not to be nasty, it's just that I have no interest in havnig someone like that in my life, and I won't ever give them the chance to mess with my feelings again. This goes for ex boyfriends especially. Some have tried to get back in touch with me and 'see how I'm doing' or even try to reignite old flames. Well, in the early break up stages I may be vulnerable to that, when I'm still mourning the loss and wondering if it was the right decision, but after 4 years? Nope. Sorry, I've moved on. I make it very clear that I wish them well, but I have not the slightest interest in them anymore.

If it's someone I was still holding a torch for it might be different... I don't know, I've never held a torch for someone who hurt me, because as I said, I don't want that sort of person in my life.

Perhaps she could be a mixture of emtional responses - angry, cold and indifferent (to try and protect herself), scared of getting hurt, but deep down still longing for him... we women are very complex creatures, so don't worry about trying to make her reaction simple! Just make it ring true - use your own experiences as inspiration if you can bear to.

Good luck :)

13. Phoenix Hikari

Phoenix Hikari New Member

Is she an extremely emotional person? Not so emotional? Does she forget past relationships? No? Is she happy with her current BF that she has moved on? or no? her reaction depends on these things and many others. Women are complicated, they can hate a person and still somehow manage to long for them. If she's happy with her current BF then she might treat him normally, past acquaintance and then totally ignored. You might want to read a bit about that and some woman emotional traits.

If you need help finding materials to read just let me know, I read a lot about that.

14. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

She is a very emotional person, and was left with a LOT of questions when she and MC3 split up. She thought she was completely over him until they bumped into each other. She is content with MC2, but is a tad bit confused. She knows he is who she should be with but isn't sure that he gives her all she is really looking for, and is def sure that he doesn't give her those butterflies that MC3 does.

15. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

Then MC#2 is outta here - at least in a romantic novel, heroines should NEVER end up with #2. Dependable nice guy who offers you all the sensible stuff your mum tells you is important is the guy you really WANT to want to be with, but just... ugh, he bores the shit outta you. By the time you finally figure out you couldn't stand him for 40 years you've probably wasted 3 or 4 years and forgotten what it is to feel those butterflies. Romance novels are about reminding yourself what the butterflies feel like :D

1 person likes this.