1. zaphod

zaphod Member

Stupid Question: what is classified as a short story on these forums?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by zaphod, Apr 5, 2010.

I know, I know, but I couldn't find mention of it using the search button.

Between 500 and 1500 words seems like the typical range in what people are posting. I can't imagine the guidelines are that rigid but my curiosity is getting to me. I don't intend to post anything soon- I haven't yet made a commitment to try my hand at reviewing.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

For the purpose of critique, it's pretty much at the discretion of the writer. But if it is divided into chapters, it's difficult to justify as a short story.

Just because it's a short story doesn't mean you "should" post the entire piece. It's still a good idea to keep the initial excerpt small enough to fit in a single post, and even that can be on the large side.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

much of what you see here are excerpts, not entire stories, since posting a complete work where it can be read for free, could keep it from being published... so don't go by what you see here, check out what the publishing world considers the length range for the various types of fiction... here's one rundown:

note: most novel publishers prefer 80-100k...