too many vampires

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by madhoca, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. themotions

themotions New Member

Thanks a lot madhoca, I was unaware that this topic was so deep with frustration here so I pretty much voluntarily threw myself on a land mine without evening knowing it....my bad:confused: Anyways I never meant to stir the waters, Im new here and lesson learned! haha, thanks again for your comment

2. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

How could they NOT hear that? I immediately caught on, sitting in the theater at midnight, going "What the heck is with the shiny-sparkly noises?" I almost thought I was making it up in my mind... until I saw it later that day, twice, and the sound was still there. Oh yeah, epic failure to Katherine for putting that in. Definitely.

A 'good' vampire is a good twist, I agree, but I think people are starting to over-do it. Most of the books you find now have vampires already mingling in society, ignoring the desire for blood like it was just a fuzz in front of their face or something. They need to work it better than that; add drama, conflict, maybe put it that they can't handle it and they accidentally kill the guy at the register at the Gas-Station or something, you know? Then they can feel guilty about it and try and be 'good'.

One more thing: fangs, or lack of them in Twilight, turned me off too. Dazzling, shiny teeth is fine, don't get me wrong. It's okay for vampires to look gorgeous. But no fangs? C'mon, what are they, pretty zombies?

3. Okie

Okie New Member

I'm going to carefully agree here with the majority vote in this thread. There really are a lot of vampire stories going around. But there really always have been. I'm remembering back now and there pretty much always has been vampires in books and movies. Vampires are appealing as the bad guy. They are appealing as the good guy too, as the love interest....and so on and so forth.

That said though, I always had a thing for dark mysterious strangers. Dangerous people make for interesting stories. I have a vampire story in my head that I'm trying to sort out enough to write coherently. And I don't view my main character as a kinder, gentler vampire. He kills to survive. People even. Anything less would just be uncivilised.

I'm hopping on the bandwagon, agreeing with the thread majority, because I too am tired of the tamed, castrated vampires. They should be wild beasts, hungering for blood, nothing less will satisfy.

4. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I'm of two minds - if you look at Bram Stoker's Dracula, you'll find elements of beast and man - that's kind of the whole idea, the conflicting (or perhaps not-so-conflicting) natures, and it was rather a romance... Too much beast and there's not much point in the character being a vampire - being man-shaped and all, may as well be some other kind of demon or beastie that never could or would walk and talk like a man. (Or woman).

Not much for the Mr Sparkle variety of vamps, either - I'd probably be expecting him to hold up a box of detergent at any second, complete with cheesy grin and "Super Happy Wash" scrolling across the screen... >_>

5. sabella

sabella New Member

i know its not literature really but i thought the new underworld film, rise of the lycans was good.. a very different angle at the whole vamp- werewolf thing..

6. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

"Super Happy Wash" makes your clothes sparkle, just like me!

XD

7. Henry The Purple

Henry The Purple Active Member

Not really the fault of the vampires themselves, rather those disgraceful authors who indulge their lustful desires through the existence of these lovable creatures. I used to think vampires were the one that posed a threat to humans, but...

8. ManicParroT

ManicParroT New Member

What does this post mean?

I actually don't understand what you're talking about.

9. Darth Da

Darth Da New Member

well, they are pretty much!

The only reason i don't care much for all the vampire/werewolf stuff about at the moment is I've just started on a novel with vampires that also features werewolves and other creatures and I wouldn't want it to be compared to what's popuplar right now. Definetly no teenage angst in what I've got planned.

10. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I think he's trying to say that instead of vampires posing a threat to humans, humans (authors) are now posing a threat to vampires by writing stories that ruin the whole concept of what vampires are supposed to be.

Am I right?

11. ManicParroT

ManicParroT New Member

Well, that's what I initially thought too, but a) vampires do not "pose a threat" to humans and b) it is impossible for humans to harm vampires.

This is because they do not exist. It is as if one were to talk about unicorns becoming endangered.

12. lucyvp

lucyvp New Member

I always come late to fads (wow - check out the rubik's cube! ;) ) and I never meant to read the Twilight books, but I picked up the second one the other day as I was thinking about how I didn't really like reading anything in the first person and wanted to see how far I could get before it annoyed me. Well, I ended up getting right into them and am now on the third book. I never read any of the Ann Rice books, so vampire stories are pretty new to me. I was talking about how it seems there's a new fad such as vampires, which take off, then it wanes a while, and then someone picks up the fad and gives it a new spin, and it takes off again. It'd be nice to be the one to start a whole new fad don't you think?

13. hiddennovelist

You sure about that? There was a man arrested a while back who was a self-proclaimed vampire...maybe they DO exist! ;)

14. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Of course they exist. It's a fact. :cool:

15. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

1) I think you're taking the comment a bit more seriously than needed.
    2) Since when are unicorns endangered? They went extinct years ago.

16. Henry The Purple

Henry The Purple Active Member

Lol, take the post for what it was and stop trying to act clever.

Yes. ;)

17. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

Since we're talking about vampire novels... there are a few good ones out there. I'd have to say I loved Anne Rice's vampire chronicles.

Although I was a bit annoyed at work yesterday when a co-worker told me that Anne Rice is a weaker writer than Stephanie Meyer...

>< Make that a bit pissed.

~Lynn

18. Moira

Moira New Member

Okay, so I write vampire/werewolf novels, but since reading some of this, (I haven't read it all) I'm almost thinking about not going out with it. I LOVE my book but if people are just rolling there eyes at a new vampire novel then I don't want it. I want to be taken seriously. I wrote my book before the Twilight frenzy. I love vampire's it was interests me. Lol. But I feel terrible with everyone being disgusted with them.

19. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Well, a couple of things. Firstly, people here are going to be critical of Twilight more than the average guy...I won't go in to detail why, but let's just say talking Twilight brings the fangs out of a lot of people here. Secondly, if you were to write something awesome like Blood & Chocolate (a vampire/werewolf book) or a vampire series like PC Cast has, or something similar, then yours would be taken seriously. The story needs to interest you and hold you, and since vamp/wolf stories interest you a whole lot, then why stop? One of your novels could end up having all the right/write stuff to interest readers. :)

20. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

I actually started reading PC Cast's series, and so far it's very blah to me. Blood and Chocolate was amazing, as was the Jaz Parks Series, the Anita Blake series, and the Darkyn. But PC's seems to be very teenager-angst oriented for me. Then again, I've only read the first 10-15 pages.

21. Moira

Moira New Member

Lol. I was going to say soemthing like that, but I figured I'd let someone else jump in there before me. I haven't been able to get passed the first 15-20 pages either. :eek:P

22. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

ugh i hope the book Twilight is better than the movie that came out. some characters were okay but the movie on a whole, just didn't do it for me.

i think there was a t.v. series, unsure how that is, probably too hollywood for me.

draw your fangs out if you want, i have thick skin, thin blood

23. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

The book is ten times better than that movie. That movie but Twilight to shame. Stupid director.

The TV series I think you're talking about it True Blood. It was a vampire series, but not about Twilight. It was more about these Southern Vampires or something like that. I don't know, I never got into it.

Haha, fangs. I'm going to be wearing fangs to my presentation for my grad project, because I did it on vampirism. Hehe.

24. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

ah, well good to hear, cause the movie sucked. I heard people tell me the series was good, but never seen it, haven't read the books. might try to find it now, just to see

i like unique looks at vampires, give them a life after death, see inside

25. hiddennovelist

True Blood was based on the Sookie Stackhouse book series. I never read them, but I used to work with a guy who recommended them to me. He and his wife really enjoyed them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.