Too Much Backstory

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by idle, Apr 7, 2013.

1. idle

idle Active Member

I'll have to think about this bit some more. It's definitely a good point, but probably in a different way than you meant it. The thing is, there are no big plot points to the original story and only a bit of excitement. It was meant to be a short story in fairly original settings. I guess the backstory developed while I was exploring the settings and I think it might be the reason for all of this. What if I just wanted to show readers around? I need a plot, of course, but it isn't where my current excitement lies.

I hope it's just growing pains. I've basically never written finished anything longer than a few pages. Since I started working on this I've realized that this one will need more than that (otherwise it would be all settings and no plot, no story) and it scares me. I still don't know what to expect from it.

2. Thornesque

Thornesque Senior Member

Well, firstly, if you like the back story more than the original story, then tell that, instead. Nothing's actually saying you need to write that particular story. So many stories become completely different from what the writer originally intended through various different means. Small changes become big changes...premise changes, characters change... I have a story that I'm working on that is loosely based off of, and has the same title as a book that I wrote when I was 13 (finished at the age of 14/15). It was a crappy idea before - weak characters, no real reason behind the actions of character and plot "twists." And as I was re-vamping the story, I ended up completely changing the entire story, and now have a much different one. That's fine. It's okay that my original idea turned into something completely apart.

If the only purpose that your original idea had was to get you into the more interesting story, then let it serve that purpose, and write the story that you find more interesting as a writer. Hell, maybe writing that story will prompt more (interesting) ideas for the original idea, and you can end up writing both in the long run. But you shouldn't feel pressured to write the first story just because you came up with it first.

3. Nee

Nee Member

Which is done all the time in fiction writing.

Looks like the real story has revealed itself to you: now you can start writing it as it wants you to write it. :)

4. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

If you keep out as much backstory for as long as possible, you create mysterious characters.