1. Lily

Lily New Member

Too obvious or not?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Lily, Oct 22, 2007.

I'm in the editing stages of my novel - I'm getting down to the point where I am fixing minor details, historical details, etc.
    Anyway, I've had my main character's name picked out for years now, but am realizing that it's one of the only things completely out of touch with the story. I'm writing a historical piece, in 9th century Ireland, and my character's name is Jade. (Which is an english name, could be used, but not in line with names during that time period).
    So my question is, I have a new name picked out, 'Orleath', which in old Irish name which means 'Golden Princess'. Do you think that is too obvious or cliche for the story, since she is a princess? I just love that name, and I doubt anyone who reads the story will actually make the connection.
    I don't want to be one of those writers who has name/meaning connections for all their characters.
    What do you think?

2. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Was this character born a princess? or is this some kind of story where she is suddenly found by the world to be their princess that saves the world...?

3. Funny Bunny

Funny Bunny New Member

I certainly think it is more authentic to use a name from the language and period of your story. Jade is really over used, and a 9th century princess would not have known what it was.

4. Lily

Lily New Member

She's born a princess. Thanks for the feed back guys!

5. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

If she's born a princess, I believe that it would be perfectly acceptable if her parents were to name her something that meant princess. Many in that position would name their child some inferring peace and beauty, so I don't see why that would be far-fetched.

6. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

the best i tihnk you can do i search what names people used to have back then and pick one of those, works best i tihnk for historical peices. but yea, that name is cute :)

7. Karpi

Karpi New Member

erleath sounds good to me
    i have to agree with ^above^, jade is overused

8. BotSmash

BotSmash New Member

Good name for a princess.