1. Laura Mae.

Laura Mae. New Member

Ancient Artefacts

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Laura Mae., Feb 19, 2011.

The basic concept of my WIP is about a war between 3 ancient clans who are all fighting over a 'rediscovered artefact'. Said 'artefact' is not actually an object like treasure of whatever, it's the -presence of a female-. Basically, I'm trying to find a word that I can name this 'artefact', which is actually a woman who happens to be the 7th daughter born into one of the clans since the start of this war. The 'country', state/culture/civilisation my story takes place in is an alternate world based on Roman cultures, with many names and the like based loosely on Latin and some Greek. The 7th daughter born into said clan is seen as 'the divine woman'. The murder of one of her ancestors who was pregnant with a baby that would connect two of the three clans (an attempt to create unity to overpower the third) caused the war, and as the 7th daughter, she is wanted by the third clan who think they can create a union (e.g. marriage, a child) as a form of redemption. So technically she's not an artefact as such, just an exalted figure who many people want to use for various reasons because of her status in relation to the war. Any ideas for what she can be called? Sorry for how long it is... :D

PS. she's not like the holy grail or anything, so don't have a go at me because of it :eek:

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Is she a mummy ? or just a spirit ?

3. Laura Mae.

Laura Mae. New Member

Neither, she's a real person, but her existence/life is what the clans are fighting over - they need to use her womanhood, such as the ability to give birth for their own reasons: one wants to use her for redemption, the others to overcome evil etc. so she's a person but I need a word or two to describe her, in relation to her status as the divine.

4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Not to nitpick, but it's spelled "Artifact," not with an e. I'm not trying to be a grammar Nazi, but you'll want to know how it's spelled before you start writing. ;)

How does "The Bearer" sound? If it doesn't fit, post back and I'll come up with more. :)

5. Laura Mae.

Laura Mae. New Member

Artifact must be the American spelling of it... I use 'artefact' because I'm British.

6. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Oh okay! My bad. :)

7. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

I like 'the bearer' but i aint Laura.

The Bearer has weight to carry, and this can be more than a baby ---> responsibility, a burden, ...

8. Yandos

Yandos New Member

In cases where a birth of a devine child is to be told in a story. Like the case of your 7th daughter. I find that descriptive titles always seem bland. Try to go with something simple. In you story, has a 7th daughter been born before? If so, why not make her title the same name of the first '7th daughter'. If the first was called Minerva (Roman goddess of interllect), then her title would simply be the Minerva.

9. Dauracul

Dauracul New Member

Depends on how your approach is. Do you want the initial assumption of the artifact to be an object, and later have them discover it's a woman? Or will it be revealed as a woman from the start?

10. Laura Mae.

Laura Mae. New Member

Well, only a few people know that its a woman, even fewer know who she is, and they're wrong anyway. The event that kick-starts the beginning of the story is basically finding out who the real 7th daughter is, from the perspective of my MC, who is male. He doesn't really know if its true that the artefact is a woman, and has no idea of who it is, so its a shock. Also, the real 7th daughter has no idea to start with.

I like the idea of 'The Bearer' because she holds the responsibility of creating a lasting union with another clan of people to end the war, but I'm thinking something more romantic is needed as the whole concept of the war and the 7th daughter began with a love story, and will create its own love story in the process.

11. Lothgar

Lothgar New Member

Hmmm... Latin/Greek... "The Divine Woman"... A name to be called...

Off the top of my head:

Matriarch Divinicus

Matriarch Sancti

Femininica Prima

Femininica Divinica

Deus ex Femme

e' Spiritus la Femme

e' Spiritus Matriatrix

Heirofemme Sancti

12. Elgaisma

UK English artefact is fine :) I catalogued and dug up enough to know that one :) Artifact is American.

13. Elgaisma

If she is Roman and the 7th Daughter then Septa might work well - at one point in Roman history the daughters of a Roman would all have the name: For example Julius would have all Julias - then they would be referred to as Una, Dua, Tertia, etc

14. Laura Mae.

Laura Mae. New Member

WOW this is exactly what I'm looking for, thank you! :D
    I think I'll use Deus ex Femme or Heirofemme Sancti because they don't instantly give away what she really is, the others seem more obvious.

I see what you mean, but she has name herself, she's just a normal person but I was looking for a name to describe the idea of her, not her actual birth name. She's technically not Roman, but the civilisation I created is based loosely around Roman civilisation so I thought I'd better mention it. Also, she's not the 7th daughter as in she has 6 sisters, she's the 7th female born into the family since the death of the woman who was killed, and obviously not every generation will have a female born into it, so this spans several generations. But thanks anyway :)

15. Elgaisma

Ahh ok - something like source, point, font, orgin or vessel are all I can think of.

Good Luck it sounds interesting.

16. Malo Beto

Malo Beto New Member

Deus ex femme? That means god out of the woman doesn't it?

17. ForHim58

ForHim58 New Member

name

"The Hebetic". Means abundant, fertile

18. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo New Member

An Avatar is the embodiment of a god on Earth. So, it sounds like she is the embodiment of some kind of power, or at least people think she is.

However, I think you should make up a nonsense term for her position and let the context of your story tell people that she's an Avatar/Messiah/etc.