Tools of the Trade

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Kalisto, Apr 17, 2022.

1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

You can use vellum in a pc via Mac in the cloud

Other options include atticus and jutoh both of which will run on a pc

scrivener will also save an epub

there’s also web based options like reedsy and draft to digital

frankly if your source file isn’t formatting properly the issue is nearly always that you have too much formatting in the source file

it’s better to start with bare text and do your formatting in the formatting software

2. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Jutoh looks to be affordable, and it offers a free demo mode. In researching Jutoh, I discovered that the same company offers a freeware program called eCub. I don't know if that's a different program entirely, or if it's a bare-bones rendition of Jutoh. Have you used or tried eCub? Any feedback?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

No - I use vellum, i don't know much about the other options other than they exist

4. SapereAude

I have downloaded both Jutoh and cCub. I have a project nearing completion, so I think I'll give eCob a try, and I'll report back when I do. I like that eCub has a portable version, which means no leftover detritus in the Windows reistry if I don't like it and want to remove it from my computer.

Jutoh is also available as a portable version.

5. Amontillado

Amontillado Senior Member

I used Jutoh back in my Windows days. My recollections are very positive, and I believe I remember the developer was friendly and approachable.

I see Jutoh is available for MacOS, too. And, better yet - oh, happy, the way of the data hoarder - I still have my license key, which I believe is both perpetual and cross platform.

6. SapereAude

Oops. Several months ago I posted that I would try eCub and report back. I did try it, but I never reported back.

Just tried it again. Not good.

The source document has to be uploaded as a text file or HTML, so you can't just import a Word document and get it converted. That's as far as I got -- I'm still looking for something that will convert straight from Word.

7. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I use an iMac desktop. I've been through at least a half dozen cheap keyboards—eventually the letters on the keys wear off, beginning with the most-used ones. At that point unless I paint letters back on or something, the keyboard is useless and I have to buy another one. I haven't been able to find one that doesn't have this issue, until I started using the Alphasmart Neo 2 as a keyboard. It's really a word processor from bygone days. Small and portable, and in fact you don't need a computer with it, you can just write directly on it and then transfer to the computer afterwards, in case you want to write elsewhere, like on the sofa in the living room, or outside.

Or you can attach it with a printer cable and it becomes your keyboard. It has the nicest keyboard I've ever used—nothing catches and nothing is clunky or awkward, and the letters on the keys don't seem to wear off at all. it seems like there's a clear coat or a layer of clear plastic embedded on top of them or something. This reminds me of how typewriters were back in the day—I don't remember any keys wearing off no matter how much I used my old typewriter.

For a word processor I just use Google Docs and each day I get a significant amount of writing done I download a version of it onto an external hard drive and a copy onto the computer itself. I like that even if my computer dies, as soon as I get a new one I can re-connect to Google Docs and there it all still is. Same for working out story ideas—I use Evernote and Plottr, both of which have auto-backup. I have Plottr set up to use the Snowflake template, plus I modify it a bit to my own specifications.

8. Amontillado

If you enable early access in Kindle Create - this is hearsay, I haven't done this - you can get advance access to Kindle Create's upcoming export to epub function.

Kindle Create is free. Might be worth a look.

(cue absurd French accent, several minutes lay-tier...)

Ok, I couldn't resist. I turned on the early access feature. Kindle Create imports doc, docx, and rtf files. That's nice. The formatting options look pretty weak. That's not so nice.

Oh, well, I'm a long way from needing to produce an ebook.

9. ps102

ps102 PureSnows102 Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Since this thread was revived and I got to read it, I am surprised that so many people here use Linux given its 2% of market share.

It's a good OS and it has matured a lot over the last decade, I do use it primarily along with LibreOffice to do my stories. For backups, I wrote my own configurable Python script that saves several date-stamped local copies daily as well as encrypted cloud copies. Like others have said, the LibreOffice formatting issues can easily be overcome by exporting to PDF or ePub, if you're into that.

If you do use Linux though, watch out for Debian-based distributions, because Debian is notorious for having outdated packages including LibreOffice. In fact, as far as I can tell, Ubuntu and Mint both distribute LibreOffice version 6 while version 7 is already out.

Debian also packages older (but supported) versions of the Linux kernel, and those don't always play well with modern hardware. My computer doesn't always wake up from hibernation, for one thing. And it didn't do so at all until I installed a newer kernel.

Fedora Linux will offer latest packages, including LibreOffice, but latest packages also have their own issues. I use Mint on my desktop and Fedora on my laptop, both show issues, but I have latest features on Fedora so I like it better.

10. Amontillado

@SapereAude - I saw yesterday that Reedsy's book writing tool looks like it will import docx and write epub.

I believe it's an online tool. I view that as a deal-breaker, an opinion definitely not shared by all. It may be a great tool for conversion if not for creation as well.

For any interested, https://reedsy.com/write-a-book .

11. SapereAude

I've tried it. I was massively underwhelmed.

And I agree with you about not preferring on-line tools. I prefer to be able to work where and when I want, whether or not I have an Internet connection.

12. Xoic

My computer doesn't so much go into hibernation, it goes into a coma. The only way I can revive it is to tap the start button twice in a row and wait a dozen seconds or so for it. For a pretty new computer it has some alarming problems already. Every time I start up, Evernote tells me there's a new version available. Really? Every day? Doubtful. Not sure how I'll know when there really is a new one.

13. Xoic

I just found the "Check for Updates" and clicked it. It told me there's a new version, so I dowloaded and installed it. Immediately it tells me there's a new version available. Sheesh!

14. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I've enjoyed PopOS lately. It's from System76, based on Ubuntu LTS.

15. ps102

ps102 PureSnows102 Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

I've heard many good things about Pop OS! Including how they try to have more up-to-date packages on their repo's. Honestly, Ubuntu-based distros have been such a pain for me with their outdated packages. I had to do some pretty drastic stuff to get sleep working properly (yes I finally did it!). But some folks might also blame me for using AMD hardware.

The sleep thing is weird if you're using Windows, but the Evernote problem sounds more like software issues. I suspect it might be trying to update itself but failing to do so, which throws it in an endless update-fail-update-fail loop.

Go to the about tab, note down the version number, and compare it against what they have in the website. That's how I would attempt to solve this problem.

Xoic likes this.
  16. Xoic

I just realized, the Evernote problem started when I downloaded some new extensions for Safari. And every day when I start up it tells me I need to switch on those extensions again. I think they might be the problem.

ps102 likes this.