1. naruzeldamaster

naruzeldamaster Senior Member

Torn on how to execute a scene...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by naruzeldamaster, Apr 18, 2021.

Ok, so in my story that I'm writing I have a scene where I have two characters, basically accomplishing the same (well 'same' in a general sense, the tasks in each room are tailored to their skillset) set of tasks in a complex building. For all intents and purposes, it's to show the reader that while their skill sets are wildly different (one uses magic and enchanting, the other uses tech) what they're actually doing with those skills is fairly similar.

An example task that is exactly the same for both characters is circumventing a bulkhead vault door. (the cartoonishly large kind)

Option A: Literally tell the same scene twice.
    Write the full scene from both characters point of view. Although someone advised this would probably get repetitive and that this 'style' of scene only really works in animation since you can show two points of view running at the same time.

Option B: *Figuratively* write the same scene twice
    Write the whole event as one scene, but switch points of view when character A's progress in the challenge is halted when confronted with a problem they don't know how to solve. Never show the same set of rooms for both characters unless the rooms are exactly the same.

Option C: Write from the prospective of the Observer.
    Like that one scene in james bond with Oddjob in the 'fun' house. I mean, technically they do the same kind of scene twice...

Each method has it's pros and cons, so I'm not leaning too hard into one or the other yet. It'll be a bit before I even get to that scene so I have time to decide.

2. Idiosyncratic

Idiosyncratic Active Member

Currently Reading::
    Six of Crows
    While you could always write out more than one version and pick the best, I'm leaning towards option B. Alternating POV's should let you fulfill your main purpose, showing off their different skill sets, quite well, without feeling repetitive or adding the distance an observer brings. If there is any individual task that is particularly character-revealing (beyond just showing skill-sets or problem-solving approaches), you can always choose to overlap just one set of rooms and alternate the rest. Just be cautious about switching too often, and I'd recommend using either scene breaks or section breaks to signify when you switch within the scene.

3. naruzeldamaster

naruzeldamaster Senior Member

Sounds good, some of the rooms will be tailored to their particular fears (Meiji HATES water, to the point she doesn't bathe every day haha) and others might torment them with temptations (obviously booby trapped).
    I'm debating if I should put a timer situation into the scene to add to tension. I might when I eventually animate it but right now I'm just writing the story to get it outta my head.
    Having a timer thrown in feels like a cheap way to add tension, I might just flip a coin when I get to that point.