1. boesjwoelie

boesjwoelie New Member

question about sub plots

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by boesjwoelie, Mar 15, 2010.

I got the idea to swich the POV from the main characters to another important character, just before whenever I introduce a new one.
    For instance:
    The main character comes into a town in the mountains looking for a guide.
    Then we swich POV to a local, who is currently out in the wild, trying to hoist a dead elk up a cliffside. As we then see how he breaks camp and follow him home, the reader gets to know the character in his daily life.
    I dont really want to get a multi-threaded story, it's more like we get just a few scenes 'alone' with the character, and a sub plot that has nothing to do with the main story.
    I thought it might help place them into context, and to understand their motivations. some may have been fighting for days, another has been at a party with kings and millinaires ect.

Or wil this sort of thing just get in the way of the story?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It is a disruption of POV that will be glaringly obvious to the reader.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Switching POVs can work if you are clear when writing it. Chapter breaks may make it easier for the reader to understand when a POV change is occurring. But it basically all depends on your skills as a writer.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why are you including a subplot if it does nothing for the story? Are you just using it as filler? Or is it for characterization purposes? If you want to place more emphasis on the locals and their motivations, then it might be a better idea to give them more than just a subplot.

4. boesjwoelie

boesjwoelie New Member

how about the hunter in the example goes into town looking for a job as guide because he needs the money or something. that way we get to see his motivation, and it is connected to the story.
    The temporary change in POV brings variation into the story.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Subplots should contribute to the main plot, or serve to develop a character in a way that is relevant to the main plot. Any subplot that does not serve that purpose should be omitted from the story.

The hunters motivation for looking for a job in town may or may not really be relevant to the story. Will the story truly be diminished if we do not know his motives? Leaving the reader in the dark about his motives may even strengthen the story.