1. vera2014

vera2014 Member

Transitional Phrases

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by vera2014, Mar 22, 2014.

Hi,
    Can anyone suggest some good reference books for transitional phrases? I found some connector words that were categorized on page 126 of the book called The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need by Susan Thurman; I'd like to find more. It would make my day if there was a book that contained every transitional phrase ever used. I'm so tired of using words like so, but, and (etc.) as connectors as well as the phrase as well as.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

This is not properly responsive to your question, but is it possible that you're overusing transitional phrases when you don't need them--when you could leave the transition implied?

For example:
    He was hungry, so he went to the pizzeria.
    He was hungry. He went to the pizzeria.
    He was hungry, but he went to the meeting anyway.
    He was hungry. He went to the meeting anyway.

He broke a vase, as well as an entire tea set.
    He broke a vase and an entire tea set. (I realize that you had "and" in your transitional phrase list, but I see it as a largely invisible word.)

vera2014 likes this.
  3. vera2014

vera2014 Member

It's possible that I've done that with my practical/business writing. I'll try and watch out for it. I'm still trying to come up with a story outline as far as my fiction writing goes. I haven't done major editing and revising like a real writer does. Story outline...LOL. Who am I kidding? I am totally hooked on reading about how to write. Procrastination...