1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Netflix on Linux?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Steerpike, Aug 31, 2011.

Netflix on Linux?

Because of DRM issues in Silverlight, and the lack of support for them in Moonlight, Netflix instant view does not work in Linux. There is, however, a Netflix app for android phones. So I thought I'd download the Android SDK from Google, run an emulator and install the Netflix app. The app installed successfully in the ADB shell (note, the emulator has to be up and running when you run the install command from the linux terminal), but once I tried to launch the app inside the emulator, I kept getting an error message that the application closed unexpectedly.

Any thoughts? I know we have more linux people here. I'm thinking maybe tweak the emulator settings so it emulates a phone that the Netflix app is compatible with. But I'm not sure how to do it. Also, I already have the Netflix app from XDA, which is supposed to work on any Android platform.

The emulator is slow as molasses, so I'm not even sure how well the video will stream if I do get it working.

2. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Netflix on Linux will never happen, we are 2% of the market that netflix doesn't care about.

We can, however, run emulators (as you are already trying to do). Common choices are a Windows Virtual Machine or to emulate a common game platform (like the Wii) and use their Netflix apps.

FWIW, I just reboot in to windows and make sour faces.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I just reboot as well. I could run XP in an emulator, but I think my laptop would be pretty sluggish doing so. I thought maybe an Android emulator would have better performance, though it doesn't appear to even have that.