1. Kitcross750

Kitcross750 Member

Travel writing question

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Kitcross750, Oct 7, 2011.

Wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this. There's a part of Peru I know fairly well. It would definitely be in the realm of exotic for most folks. I have a hankering to get back there some time this winter and one way I can make it happen is to sell an article or two which might pay for the airfare.

I am pretty certain I can sell a feature to one canoeing magazine on the building of dug out canoes in that area. It won't pay enough to put me down there so I need to find another angle (for another magazine likely) that I could maybe do at the same time. I'm drawing a blank--which is a bit unusual for me--and could do with some suggestions.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for either angles or markets.
    cheers!
    Kit

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

have you googled for lists of travel magazines?... checked out what's on the newstands?... looked over the magazine section of a major public library?

3. Kitcross750

Kitcross750 Member

Yes thank you. I have a pretty good stock of them and I regularly peruse a couple of news stands where the stock changes frequently. I'm familiar with most of the travel magazines that might be suitable. My library card is up to date and well used. I was hoping to find a non traditional market for it. Perhaps I didn't ask the right question.

Several years ago I took a writing course where the instructor suggested reworking the raw material and pitching it to a different type of magazine. For example--a trade publication that caters to teachers might be interested in a piece on the village school up the river that you get to by dugout canoe. That makes two pieces--the original one on canoe construction and a second one on village schools up the Amazon. Both are travel pieces but neither designed for a mainstream travel magazine. (mainstream travel, by the way is a very difficult market for new writers--I'm published but 4 or 5 clips in a variety of disciplines is not enough to interest Wanderlust or Backpacker or Afar)

A more appropriate question would therefore be "Are any of our members familiar with magazines perhaps geared to (teachers??, medical professionals?? vets??) that might be interested in out-of-the-ordinary travel stuff?" There are numerous listing in Writer's Market for this in the trade publications section, but at least two that I've contacted (and have travel listed in their interests) respond by saying they have NO interest in travel pieces. Perhaps forum members who hold down day jobs might know of one of their trades where they've seen similar things published? Just a thought...

No matter. I can get in touch with the local professionals here and check with them. Just thought we might have folks on our forum who might have ideas. If we do---I'd be delighted to hear.
    cheers!
    Kit