1. yellowboi

yellowboi New Member

Triads London, UK-my story

Discussion in 'Crime, Thriller & Action' started by yellowboi, Jul 31, 2013.

Hey guys,

Wanted your thoughts.

I'm thinking of writing a book based on my previous life as a ex-member of the triads in London, UK. There isn't much info about the triads in the UK, let alone books.

I'm stuck between writing it as a fiction or an autobiography??

I guess I also wanted to get some initial thoughts before I start. Would you guys be interested in reading a story about a real ex-triad member? all the in's and out's and the real going on's behind the scene in London Chinatown?

thanks in advance.

YB

2. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

write it as fiction with made up names - less chance of being sued or locked up!

3. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Sounds interesting to me. write it. Fiction or auto.? we can't answer this question, try writing a bit of both and then see which one you happy with.

4. PiP

PiP Contributor Contributor

I've taken a moment to consult google on the Triads to ensure I was connecting my thoughts with the same organisation

Unless you want to court some kind of a death wish I would tell your story as fiction :)

And would I read it? Yes, probably however, it really depends on which branch of criminal activity covered: Drugs, prostitution, money laundering etc...

LB

5. yellowboi

yellowboi New Member

thanks for the feedback guys.

I will most likely write this as a fiction.

It will cover everything. From when I was first initiated into the Triads when I was 13, to staring at a murder charge when I was 19.Everything.
    Everything you ever wanted to know about the triads in the UK, mainly London. The true inner workings of London Chinatown, the drug deals, the protection racket, the fights.

However, this is the first time I'm actually going to be writing something, so will need your critique. Where should I post the first draft when I'm done?

Thanks in advance........

6. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

you need to read the rules first, be a member 2 weeks, make 20 posts, positively review 2 other pieces of work.

Be careful dude with your online confessions dude - have you been living under a rock lately?

7. PiP

PiP Contributor Contributor

Regardless of how long you've been a member, OR how many critiques you have given before posting your own work, you need to be aware that this forum does not have an area to post your work that is not visible to the search engines. You've already shared quite a lot of information by giving ages and the fact you were facing a murder charge. If you really want to write this I would urge you to find a more private method than that of a public writing forum.

LB

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yellowboi...
    if you are on facebook, or any other social media under this username, you're at serious risk of being 'outed' by someone who knows who you are and where to find you and your family... and any half-decent hacker could track you down just from this site alone...

so, since you know all too well how brutally the triads deal with 'traitors' why would you be so foolish as to broadcast your intention to blow the whistle on them with a tell-all book?

i'll be glad to help you with info/advice/writing help/whatever privately, but if you're for real and not just pretending to be an ex-gang member, you'd better get the bleep off the internet immediately and find a place to hide...

btw, how did you get to be an 'ex'-member and live to tell about it, in the first place?

i'm always just a mouse-click away, if you want help in a less risky, non-public way...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

9. yellowboi

yellowboi New Member

Hey guys,

appreciate all the concern, however, I'm just merely stating events that happened in my life, all crimes that were committed was repaid via time spent in prison, so it's not like the police is going to suddenly use this for evidence.

I'm just here to get some thoughts and feedback really before I start writing, so don't worry, I won't be revealing much.
    [MENTION=373]mammamaia[/MENTION] I know how brutal Triads can be to traitors, but as I said earlier, this is going to be a fiction now rather than a autobiography. Also, over in the UK, Triads operate differently than their counterparts in the US and Hong Kong. And when I say ex-member, what I really meant was non-active. You never really leave, but I just stopped all the violent stuff due to having a family and settling down. And believe me, I'm 100% real.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ok, if you're not worried about reprisals, so be it...

best of luck to you with the writing...

11. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

I'd recommend writing it as fiction and just drawing on your past experiences for inspiration and realism, but if you do have the mettle to face off potential reprisals then more power to your elbow. You know what you're getting yourself into.

A fictionalised account of the Triads would actually be epic, though, especially with the insider's eye that an ex-member can bring to the table. There isn't much on them, other than Honest a couple years back, so it'll be fairly original and will have the Andy McNab edge of authenticity to it. I'd definitely read it, even if it wasn't particularly well-written, solely because of that.

12. yellowboi

yellowboi New Member

Thanks mate, my thoughts exactly. Appreciate all the support.

13. sanco

sanco New Member

Agree with gallowglass. A fictionalised account would be great. The most important thing for you to focus on would be the authenticity you bring to it that most gangster stories written by outsiders lack. The language, slang, teminology, habits, rituals, codes and ethics etc.

14. yellowboi

yellowboi New Member

yeah, I'm definitely going to write it as a fiction as that's the best course of action. Watch this space.