1. Bluefire

Bluefire Member

2 questions to be answered!

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Bluefire, Sep 15, 2020.

Alright, let's get down to business. I need some ideas for both questions that I'm about to ask, and I have TOTALLY hit a roadblock on ideas for these.

1#
    What would you call/Say to a FAE male to insult him? (I'm talking about The Fae, not Fairys, they aren't tiny cute creatures, they are normal sized beings that have elf-like features along with rude attitudes.)

2#
    I'm at a loss for a small snippet on the front of my book cover, the only thing I can think of is "One small change in fate to rule them all." However, that's way to close to One Ring to rule them all. Let me give you a bit of background to work off of. The story is called Fates Entwined, it's about a woman who has lived her entire life around people that have magical abilities, she's still classified as a magic-user, but doesn't have a lick of it in her blood, then one day she passes out and is told she had a magical burnout. FAST WAAAAYYYY FORWARD, She is transported to a whole entire new realm, a new world. She actually does have magic and obviously has to use it against treacherous nature in the new realm and against a king who harvests the magic from living people, turning them into husks for his army, he takes the magic and uses it as a catalyst for himself.

Thats the small little peek a boo into the story just to get your creative juices flowing, let me know if you guys have any ideas for either question! I would most defiantly be greatly appreciated.

2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Your mother was a troll.

Shouldn't you be out making shoes right now?

Hey, slanty-eyes/pointy-ears.

Oh sorry, I thought you were human.

I won't go into my feelings about the words "fay" and "faerie" here though.

Infel, Malisky and Bluefire like this.
  3. Bluefire

Bluefire Member

Oh sorry, I thought you were human.

I really like this one, more of a legitimate insult!

4. JuliaBrune

JuliaBrune Member

1) One of the most universal element in fae stories is exact words so perhaps something that sounds neutral but is a savage burn when interpreted literally ?

"The kindness and beauty of the good neighbors truly is the stuff of legend" (i.e it doesn't actually exist)

2) Sorry, that's the kinda thing you have to figure out for yourself IMO ! Try to find the core idea, the main thing you think is interesting about your story then from there you can try to express it as a single sentence...

Bluefire likes this.
  5. Bluefire

Bluefire Member

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback!

6. Le Panda Du Mal

Le Panda Du Mal Contributor Contributor

1. Baby snatcher, troglodyte, etc. If this is set in "the real world" and some characters are feeling extra racist they could work in old anthropological theories of how fairies are vestiges of primitive peoples (e.g. "Turanians")

Bluefire likes this.
  7. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    You made a point about the difference between "fae" and "fairy," so I'd call him a fairy. Kind of like calling a Welshman English or any non-Mexican Latino "Mexican."

Bluefire and Bolu Kai like this.
  8. Lazaares

Lazaares Contributor Contributor

Knife ears. Tree huggers. Slendermen. Snake arms. Weaklings. Halfmen. Manlets. Toothpick. Stickman. Bark licker.

CrimsonAngel and Bluefire like this.
  9. Bolu Kai

Bolu Kai Member

I would consider the details surrounding your world's fae and then cross reference those details with insults in the real world. I think it's easy for everyone's mind to go straight to racial insults, but there are so many other forms of insult. Could it be a gesture? An insult directed towards a skill/ability the fae are known to have? Is it something strange they wear or eat? I would recommend researching insults around the world to give you more ideas.

What sets apart your fae from the group(s) who use insults against the fae?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Bluefire likes this.
  10. Bluefire

Bluefire Member

Bark licker LOL

11. Bluefire

Bluefire Member

Thank you

Bolu Kai likes this.