Tags:
  1. rmhazard

rmhazard New Member

Idea for a sci fi novel

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by rmhazard, Apr 10, 2008.

My idea Follows Captain John Castle of the S.S Arsenal, he is about to retire and go to live with his wife and son but just before he makes it home the colney gets destroyed by an evil race of aliens called Telkutians they cover their tracks and only Castle sees them leave. The attack was led by TelKul who is one of the 9 members of the Galatic Union (The central governing body of the galaxy). Castle states his case to the GU but they do not act as TelKul has dipumatic immunity. The GU then restrict Earth from reinstates Castle as captain. Castle hijacks his old ship and uses the crew to kill TelKul 12 children who lead the 12 Telkutian colonies. He eventully comes face to face with TelKul and fights him. Castle lets his crew take him in after he kills TelKul. Where in a maximum Secuity Prison where he finds out Telkul was just a puppet for a bigger plan. It then ends with will Castle vowin revenge on the person behind the bigger plan.

I think its a good idea but would welcome any comments.

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

The plot, although not fully original, I think has potential. Like any other work, the execution of the good idea/plot line will be the determining factor.

Question about the diplomatic immunity. If there were such a thing, for a political figure to wipe out entire colonies with impunity...it would be a real problem for exploitation and would've led to strife and conflict long before this, right? Unless it is a newly formed alliance that is working out the 'bugs' to the system, and Tekul took advantage of a loophole. Just a thought.

Good luck and hang in there through the writing, revision and editing process...and successful submission too!

Terry

3. rmhazard

rmhazard New Member

No one saw the attack apart from Castle as it was covered up, and Humanity is meant to be the poor relations to the Galatic union and there position in it is under review. The GU have a treaty which restricts memebers from attacking each other, and as they don't believe Castle do nothing to step in that is what i meanfor the diplomatic immunity part.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I think this is a story that will thrive or fail depending on the quality of the character development. It's true of most stories, but because the theme of this is reasonably familiar (interspecies combat with a crucial duel between two leaders), the characters are what will keep the readers reading (or not).

5. ACCERBYSS

ACCERBYSS New Member

Is he Killing Telkul's children openly or is this the story of a great man gone wrong a hero turned subversive assassin. The fall of a great hero.

6. Darkthought

Darkthought Active Member

Sounds a little to much like Mass Effect for my liking.

7. rmhazard

rmhazard New Member

He is doing it as revenge as the children do their fathers bidding. By doing this Castle hopes that TelKul will reveal himself and his true nature so the GU will act.

How? weren't mass effect about some guy trying to find a rogue specta to save the galaxy, from a race on acient robot type things.

This is about Castle getting revenge, for his family.

8. Darkthought

Pretty much that part.

9. rmhazard

rmhazard New Member

True yeah that part does sound a little familer but the whole plot is different, so it is not plagurised.

10. Darkthought

I wasn't saying it was. I was only pointing out that I couldn't help but think of it when I was reading the plot summary. I can only assume the same would happen with other people.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A plot isn't copyrightable - only the writing that embodies the plot. Names and places can be trademarked.

However, the reading public will likely shun a story if it feels it's a ripoff of another popular tale.

12. Darkthought

That was what I was getting at.

13. Vayda

Vayda New Member

Because it's harder for readers to relate to the plot of a scifi story in general (hey, i'm not on a spaceship, I can't share in the heartache when your ferloghneigh compressor unit goes down) I think your characters need to be impeccable. Your plot sounds fine, but I can't tell you whether or not the story will work until you've got a really strong handle on the characters involved.

14. Raven

Raven Banned

Actually I have to agree with this.

15. Fluxhavok

Fluxhavok Active Member

yeah, it sounds awfully similar in a synopsis, but hopefully after you flesh out your own characters and world the similarities will fade. damn, mass effect was a great game.