Tags:
  1. Scribblez

Scribblez New Member

Trouble with magic system

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Scribblez, Feb 8, 2023.

So, I've been mulling over my magic system for a while due to a problem I found with it.

You see, it's based on an idea of consciousness coming from a connection to an artifact named the Sefirot, which serves as the gateway between the higher world (an unknowable realm) and the lower world (where humans live). Consciousness rewrites information, which is the fundamental unit of reality.

So if the connection between a human being's consciousness and the Sefirot was strengthened, the ability to rewrite information is also strengthened. People with strengthened connections (due to the higher world contacting them) are called Bakhar (hebrew for 'Chosen').

Now, the main problem is that I want Bakhar to be strong (think: Solar Exalted from Exalted) but there's just one problem: my world is based off of science fiction and JRPG tropes (Xenogears especially) instead of bronze age sword and sandal tropes. That means that if a hero with a gigantic sword were to jump in the air, ready to kill an opposing army, they would be shredded to bits by gunfire. I don't have anything like Charms (I use something like Mage's Spheres). I want them to be able to survive artillery bombardments (but be heavily injured), if they are combat focused.

I tried a few solutions, but they didn't work out when I gave them more thought. I was considering something like a 'class' system, but that seems too 'gamey'.

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Maybe when they become adept enough they can enter into the state of Da'ath, the Hidden World, where they become partially invisible and intangible in this world. Bullets etc go right through them. But when they strike they need to become fully visible/tangible in this world. The really powerful ones can become fully invisible/intangible, and walk through walls etc in that state. But most aren't capable of reaching that full state, they become dimly visible and mistlike, and can be somewhat hurt by enough bullets or explosions.

3. Scribblez

Scribblez New Member

That's an interesting power, and I might invoke more of the Jewish Kabbalah (in a science fiction sense), but I wanted the Bakhar to be able to survive being physically hit by artillery shells. I want a world of demigods punting each other through buildings without being instagibbed every time they attack each other. I want them to be so dangerous that if they have the slightest hint of going rogue, they get hit with an artillery bombardment lasting several hours.

At least, the combat focused ones. I don't plan for every Bakhar in the story to be focused on combat, and I don't plan for everyone important to be a Bakhar.

4. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Then maybe they instead use Yesod, the power of Foundation, which armors their flesh like the walls of a fortress. Makes them functionally invulnerable, to what extent they're able to marshal this esoteric power. It isn't easy to do or to maintain, and a shock or distraction can make it slip.

5. Scribblez

Scribblez New Member

the idea that you have to actively focus on defense is good. thanks, I'll be using more of the kabbalah, now I have to figure out a way to bind it together. also going to rename the Sefirot to Keter.

Xoic likes this.