1. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

Idea for a teen hero's superpowers?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by rktho, Sep 16, 2017.

I'm writing a story about a supervillain who fights a teenage superhero, but when he finds out he's fighting an eighth grader instead of an adult, goes frantic with worry and tries to make all his traps non-fatal, sends henchmen to protect him from getting hurt when he's fighting other villains, and tries to talk him out of the whole superhero gig so he can continue his evildoings without worrying about some kid getting caught in the middle of it.

So... what should the kid's powers be?

2. Drmr

Drmr New Member

That's an interesting take on the hero-villain thing. Here are a few ideas. I'm not a big superhero buff so if they're lame, apologies.

-Amplified Instincts: Have you ever watched Limitless? The dude takes a drug that amplifies EVERYTHING. Fighting skills, survival skills, sex life, reasoning skills, you name it. So your character could have a brain so advanced and his senses so heightened that he will automatically do whatever is best for his survival at the moment. E.g. if he hears a bullet go off, he'll find a way to dodge it. You could make it that he hears the trigger click before the bullet even comes out, I dunno. Point is, he doesn't necessarily have inhumane strength, he just works with what his body is capable of already and does it automatically. Which could cause further problems down the road since he acts on impulse?

-Shadowbend: He can make darkness (not like magic darkness, like literal lack of light) bend to his will. In other words, he's OP at night. You could work out the kinks there lol

-Energy/Vibes/Pressure Points: He can see energy coming out of everyone and this would include their pressure points. He could take martial arts and know your weak energy points and use it to his advantage. Doesn't work much with booby traps but he could put up a fight and wear some armor.

-Soulbend: He can use his own "soul" or "chakra" as a weapon. E.g. a white substance could emminate from his fingertips and use it as an arrow of sorts, like Yondu from Guardians of the Galaxy. The catch is his soul has to always return to him or else he loses his energy little by little.

I dunno. Hope these spark something!

3. Atrophied_Silence

Atrophied_Silence Active Member

My two cents, you can never go wrong with Irony. It is always interesting when a hero/villain has an ability that contradicts them in someway. For example, a guy who can fly faster than a plane but has vertigo. Or a guy who has super speed but also has asthma. Something like that lol but I like Drmr's ideas too

rktho likes this.
  4. rktho

There's a book called The Ables about a team of disabled superheroes. The protagonist has telekinesis, but he's blind.

Atrophied_Silence likes this.
  5. archer88i

archer88i Banned Contributor

He can make people tell the truth just by asking them a question. A teenager could run into some uncomfortable facts of life that way.

"What was your nefarious plot? Why did your company do [insert evil here]?"

"I dunno; I didn't know we even had a branch in [insert town here]. Who are you?"

6. rktho

That would make for some pretty interesting conversations. I kinda want his abilities to be useful in combat, and for him to have a range of abilities, though. I could give a truth-telling power to another hero he could team up with; I'm thinking an Iron Fist-type who'd be weirdly sage-like for a teenager. The hero's secrets would never be safe again, let alone the villain's! It would be super annoying for the two of them to be classmates and partners in the superhero squad. Oh man. Maybe I need to give this guy a JV team. But then again, the story's about the villain, and if I have too many heroes in the spotlight it'll steal the show and distract from the relationship between the main superhero and the antihero supervillain. I am totally giving someone a superpower like that, though.